Accommodation in Ireland / Northern Ireland

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

One of my best mates will be doing his internship in Ireland / Northern Ireland next year, he's a tourism student and he 's looking for a cheap place to stay, any advice is more then welcome. He might be there from early Feb until mid June 2012

Cheers

Where's he studying and what college? Can't really help without knowing that.

He's studying in Belgium and will be doing an internship in the Tourism industry in Belfast, Shannon, Cork or Dublin. As there still is some time he can always see what the opportunities are but he loves rugby and Gallic football

Best bet is to go to the town which has the biggest university in it, as that'll be where the cheap/student housing will be
I don't know anything about Unis in Ireland, so that's the extent of my help :p

Best bet is to go to the town which has the biggest university in it, as that'll be where the cheap/student housing will be
I don't know anything about Unis in Ireland, so that's the extent of my help :p

Sadly Olly the biggest uni's also have very high rent. Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork have the biggest rent and cost of living IMO. Wouldn't know about Belfast

He's studying in Belgium and will be doing an internship in the Tourism industry in Belfast, Shannon, Cork or Dublin. As there still is some time he can always see what the opportunities are but he loves rugby and Gallic football

In that case, my advise would be to go to Dublin. You get excellent acess to all the Leinster games over the winter adn spring and in the new year there will be plenty of Gaelic football teams looking for players of some sort. I'll have a chat with my tutor and see what he recommmends accomodation wise.

As regards to the others, Shannons is just a student town, not much tourism there. Cork is okay, but it's a bit small and you tire of it easily. As for Befast, I've never really been.. Stck to the south would be my advise..

Thanks guys, he just loves Ireland and he told me he just wants to do his internship there so a good preparation is the ideal start to get here.

Slight tangent, does anyone know what the rugbys like in Tralee? Like strength of competition or what magners team they support?

In that case, my advise would be to go to Dublin. You get excellent acess to all the Leinster games over the winter adn spring and in the new year there will be plenty of Gaelic football teams looking for players of some sort. I'll have a chat with my tutor and see what he recommmends accomodation wise.

As regards to the others, Shannons is just a student town, not much tourism there. Cork is okay, but it's a bit small and you tire of it easily. As for Befast, I've never really been.. Stck to the south would be my advise..

Typical jackeen answer! Also, since when was Shannon a student town?!! They don't have an IT or a University!?

And Cork is class. Not that i'm biased. And would be cheaper than Dubland

Slight tangent, does anyone know what the rugbys like in Tralee? Like strength of competition or what magners team they support?

Hey Ranger, Tralee a Junior club based in Munster. They are one tier down from All Ireland League with is the national senior Comp. That itself consists of 3 leagues of 20(ish) teams. So Tralee would be well down the pecking order, not a great standard.

No such thing as "cheep" in Ireland, is there?

No. Except maybe in Lidl

As regards Tralee they've been competing well since coming up to Junior 1 in Munster 3 years ago

Yeah, I dunno where that comment about Shannon came from,, must have being thinking about Maynooth or something.

You might as well tell your friend that if he's coming to Ireland he's going to spend a bloody fortune. That said, today I found a nice litle Londis that will give me a bacon roll and a cup of tea for 3 quid. Excellent.

Shannon is a nice little town but not alot to do there but very central for tourism stuff like cliffs of moher etc

My friend knows that it will be expensive, he's been there several times but he just loves it, especially his bar tap is the biggest expense.
So if he knows where to look for a cheap accommodation he can spend more time in the pub