• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Afrikaans]: Is hier enige Afrikaanse mense?

Dis vrek snaaks,is dit Conrad daai,wat het van hom geword,hy het laas sy been gebreuk,het hy nog nie herstel nie of het hy opgehou met rugby?

Jap daai is Conrad, ek dink hy herstel nog van n besering...hoop hy sal gereed wees vir die Currie Beker die jaar!

Hy het vir my baie goeie rugby gespeel voordat hy die besering gekry het!

En ek wou net se dit is lekker om afrikaans te praat op die site(weet nie wat dit in afrikaans is nie,seker web-tuiste)Hou so aan!

Ek neem dis gemik op my, webtuiste 'n kak woord, hulle kon 'n beter woord uigedink het. My afrikaans is ook nie meer so wat di wat nie, 9 jaar 'n pomie land kan mens goed opfok. :p

Moeilik om te se. Dink die leeus sal beter doen as laas jaar. Die vrystaat en sharks sal kompiterend wees, WP sal die semi's haal, maar die bulle sal dit wen. Ongelukkig LOL!

Wat dink jy ?

Ek is nie Afrikaans nie maar ek kan die taal n bietjie praat. My ex is Afrikaans en ek het n seuntjie in Suid Afrika die ek baie mis. Dis baie nice om Afrikaans te praat. Dit breng my in gedagtes terug na die tyd dat ek in Suid Afrika gebly het.

Ek moet oppas dat ek die taal nie vergeet nie want ek wil in 2011 terug SA toe gaan

Noem my maar neef.

Ek is bly 2010 staan nou op einde se kant; 'n kak jaar vir Springbok rugby en sommer vir my persoonlik ook. WP/Stormers het goed gevaar, maar kon nerens knoop deurhaak nie. Ons probeer weer volgende jaar (soos elke jaar).

PROOOOOOOOOOOOOOVINCE!!

not trying to troll but why does Afrikaans get to be called a language when forms of English, French and Spanish spoken around the world are accents or dialects?

Because Afrikaans can not be seen as a dialect of Dutch, the language it is most similar to. The difference between the two is massive when you look at words, grammar and all.

not trying to troll but why does Afrikaans get to be called a language when forms of English, French and Spanish spoken around the world are accents or dialects?

For exactly the same reasons why Scouse should be an official language

1 Because it is actually quite different and

2 the people speaking it don't consider themselves Dutch. At least myself and the Afrikaners/Boere I have dealt with don't for the most part.

3 Saying the people speaking an unique language can't call it what they want to takes away our right to self determination.

I have almost as much French and German ancestry (combined) as I do Dutch. Also some Scottish and Malaysian but that's beside the point. The language has changed just too much with its isolation from Dutch in SA and the myriad influences from Portuguese etc etc to be considered simply a dialect.

1 Because it is actually quite different and

2 the people speaking it don't consider themselves Dutch. At least myself and the Afrikaners/Boere I have dealt with don't for the most part.

3 Saying the people speaking an unique language can't call it what they want to takes away our right to self determination.

I have almost as much French and German ancestry (combined) as I do Dutch. Also some Scottish and Malaysian but that's beside the point. The language has changed just too much with its isolation from Dutch in SA and the myriad influences from Portuguese etc etc to be considered simply a dialect.

Sorry to hijack the topic and speak English, but I'm doing a linguistics degree and find language politics fascinating..

What is it that makes a language then?

Because, though you say it is quite different, I can go on youtube and see Charlize Theron (an Afrikaans speaker) being interviewed on Flemish (Dutch-speaking Belgians) TV, and speaking Afrikaans to the interviewer. This would imply that the two languages are mutually intelligible, which for example, English and Xhosa are not.

Whether the speakers consider themselves Dutch or not is irrelevant. 50 Cent is a native English speaker, despite the fact that he is American and has little to no English ancestry.

What I'm getting at here isn't a criticism of Afrikaans or even suggesting that it can't be called a language. It's just that there is no official definition of what a language is, and Afrikaans is one of the many dialects/ languages that exist in the periphary between a dialect and a language. In Scotland, where I am now, there apparently exists a language called Scots spoken my a few million people (auld lang syne etc.) which to me seems nothing more than a English spoken with Scottish accent, colloquialisms, and a few small changes in Grammar. If you listen to a dancehall track you'll hear something called Jamaican Patois, which is considered a mere dialect, although to me it is far more distinct than Scots.

Basically, this distinction can be summed up by one linguist's quote: 'Language is a dialect with an army and navy' - in other words peoples' speech tends to be grouped into 'languages' when the people themselves are organised into something like a nation.

Lekker om bietjie Afrikaans te lees. Het self al gewonder hoe baie van ons daar is. . .

Sorry to hijack the topic and speak English, but I'm doing a linguistics degree and find language politics fascinating..

What is it that makes a language then?

Because, though you say it is quite different, I can go on youtube and see Charlize Theron (an Afrikaans speaker) being interviewed on Flemish (Dutch-speaking Belgians) TV, and speaking Afrikaans to the interviewer. This would imply that the two languages are mutually intelligible, which for example, English and Xhosa are not.

Whether the speakers consider themselves Dutch or not is irrelevant. 50 Cent is a native English speaker, despite the fact that he is American and has little to no English ancestry.

What I'm getting at here isn't a criticism of Afrikaans or even suggesting that it can't be called a language. It's just that there is no official definition of what a language is, and Afrikaans is one of the many dialects/ languages that exist in the periphary between a dialect and a language. In Scotland, where I am now, there apparently exists a language called Scots spoken my a few million people (auld lang syne etc.) which to me seems nothing more than a English spoken with Scottish accent, colloquialisms, and a few small changes in Grammar. If you listen to a dancehall track you'll hear something called Jamaican Patois, which is considered a mere dialect, although to me it is far more distinct than Scots.

Basically, this distinction can be summed up by one linguist's quote: 'Language is a dialect with an army and navy' - in other words peoples' speech tends to be grouped into 'languages' when the people themselves are organised into something like a nation.

All valid but Afrikaans speakers consider themselves a nation/or rather a people apart even though we live in a country with us in the minority.

Hou gannit met al julle Afrikaaners??

My American uncle told me a joke yesterday...he said...Western promises...never come true...i found it quite funny coming from an American. Even they know what's crakin...Sharks eet leke Dinge...

Last edited:
Ik spreek geen Afrikaans maar ik begrijpt een beetje :p

And yes it IS an awesome swearing language! WAT KYK JY?? JOU NAAI!!

Latest posts