• Total voters

Kapa O Pango

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Ben Smith
Ben Smith affable winger’s pace and power don’t hold the same appeal for his opponents, whom he routinely manages to get past with deceptive footwork and a canny ability to spot the gaps in a defensive line.

Having an good season with the Highlanders in Super Rugby and outstanding performances with the All Backs so far in 2013, scoring an hat-trick against the Wallabies in the 1st test and another 2 tries in the 2nd test, helping the All Blacks retain the Bledisloe Cup for 11th straight time in New Zealand.

Cory Jane
World Cup winner Cory Jane shows all of the hallmarks of a great winger: seering pace, dazzling footwork, reliability under the high ball and solid defence, as well known for his trademark fend.

Usually at fullback but also seen on the wing, Jane’s pace and ability to beat a marker makes him a dangerous attacker and he is often the source for the tries run in by his outsides.

Cory Jane, sidelined since a right knee injury ended his Super Rugby season and his season in the All Blacks.

Can CJ retain his position in the All Blacks with Ben Smith form? Or will he slowly fade away from the ABs international scene.

I reckon long term Ben smith may take the 13 shirt and jane back in 14, however I don't think I would mess with that till next june.

You're golden either way IMO. Whether it's Savea or Kahui on the other wing also is a bit of a much over muchness as Savea seems to be increasingly getting into the game looking for work. Seems Ben Smith flourishes whether its at 13, 14 or 15. The only problem for NZ IMO is at hooker. Not that you don't have good hookers but just not great hookers. Elsewhere each player could be arguably making a world XV with Aaron Smith in fine form.

Personally I still prefer Cory Jane. No one has a better fend or is safer under the high ball - and I haven't seen Ben Smith score tries from nothing like CJ can. Ben Smith has been very impressive though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, as neither of them are particularly young, but CJ has just come from a long lay off after knee surgery (and we know what that did to Christian Cullen) and is 30 years old anyway - while Ben Smith is 27 and on the logic that Conrad Smith will make it to the next RWC, that means Ben Smith will already be pretty much in his 30's by the time he gets to move into centre.

Neither of the two are especially quick for wingers though - I'd like to see Piatau or someone else get a few shots at right wing this year, with Ben Smith maybe playing at 12.

Smith lacks a bit of gas too. He has been rounded a few times in super rugby (Nanai Williams smoked him in one game), and O'Conner dusted him twice on Saturday. I'd take CJ provided his knee injury doesn't slow him down.

Smith lacks a bit of gas too. He has been rounded a few times in super rugby (Nanai Williams smoked him in one game), and O'Conner dusted him twice on Saturday. I'd take CJ provided his knee injury doesn't slow him down.

I tend to agree with everything you've said. Smith is certainly not one of the quicker wingers going around - and despite scoring 5 tries in 2 matches, none of them were especially difficult.

I voted Ben Smith, and slightly disagree about the tries from nothing - which he's capable of. Otherwise, I agree that Jane beats him pure power and speed and quickness in space. But Ben Smith has an excellent nose for the gap and has great timing.

I agree with the comment about him being a possible 13. That would be interesting. hey I'd chuck him in over Nonu at 12 right now.

I'd prefer Jane on the wing.

Ask me if I'd rather have Dagg or Smith at fullback though... Hmmm

Corey jane there is not much of him but he is hard to bring down. Those long arms of him is quite handy. Ben SMith is a ghost he pops up everywhere unnoticed. When will see what happens when the AB do not have a good day and they need a bit of magic if Smith can do what Jane does. But Jane has to recover first and get on form again but I think that won't a problem for him.

I would play BS at 15, he is Cullen material and better that Dagg in my opinion
CJ is a must on the wing

My God the AB have "first world problems" ! If your biggest issue is Ben Smith or Jane, you're doing pretty well : p
They've both been very impressive honestly...but from what I've seen, Ben Smith is a fantastic finisher of a play, has that pure wing quality. Cory Jane might have a more complete game at the wing with ball in hand, and be able to do more than just complete a play.

If you look at the South African vs battle Basson vs Mvovo

Oh god I want to hang myself

If you look at the South African vs battle Basson vs Mvovo

Oh god I want to hang myself

Ja, we should have sort of exchange program with NZ;

they give us one of Cory Jane or Ben Smith and we'll give them one of Bismarck or Strauss.

Back to reality though for SA. With the departures of Bryan Habana, JP Pietersen and Louis Ludik we have a problem in the back three. Le Roux is good enough but we need a bit of power in the back three which we lack ATM. Maybe if Taute can stay injury free for more than 2 hours we can look at bringing him in or play one of De Allende or JJ Engelbrecht on the wing. Either that or look to fast track some of our young powerful speedsters; I'm thinking of one of EW Viljoen, Duhan van der Merwe or Arno van Staden.

Stormers you can't stick Taute in there. ANC would have a field again with Meyer. Remember how good 0one is don't count. Skin color first. Don't worry international teams will go easy on them.......

Back to reality though for SA. With the departures of Bryan Habana, JP Pietersen and Louis Ludik we have a problem in the back three. Le Roux is good enough but we need a bit of power in the back three which we lack ATM. Maybe if Taute can stay injury free for more than 2 hours we can look at bringing him in or play one of De Allende or JJ Engelbrecht on the wing. Either that or look to fast track some of our young powerful speedsters; I'm thinking of one of EW Viljoen, Duhan van der Merwe or Arno van Staden.

we're going totally off-topic here, but just this:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8890840,00.html

This is getting perfectly ridiculous. And you know why Habana and co. are returning to the Top14; it ain't the legal facts, or what not...that's just an excuse. It's all - simply - because - of - TEH - MONEY.

Players are just mercenaries today. Habana can't even play for HIS FKN COUNTRY because he needs to play for some club in Southeastern France with a bit of cash. It's perfectly ridiculous.

we're going totally off-topic here, but just this:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8890840,00.html

This is getting perfectly ridiculous. And you know why Habana and co. are returning to the Top14; it ain't the legal facts, or what not...that's just an excuse. It's all - simply - because - of - TEH - MONEY.

Players are just mercenaries today. Habana can't even play for HIS FKN COUNTRY because he needs to play for some club in Southeastern France with a bit of cash. It's perfectly ridiculous.
Those guys deserve to rake in cash cuse once they retire they need to live off it. Steyn and Habana gave alot to SA and it would be slefish not to give him his dues. They will play for SA though. Just needed the weekend by their clubs. I notice Jean Smith is returning for Toulon as well

Neither, I prefer to Doug Howlett:

130826090047646861.jpg

Latest posts