• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

** All-time XV's Thread **

Stats don't lie, but they rarely tell the truth. For example, in the EDF Energy semi between Cardiff and Northampton, in the first half the stats read as saints did not win the ball in cardiff's 22. On the other hand cardiff had something like 20 balls won in the saints 22.

The territory was also 70% to cardiff, yet the score was literally 6-0 or something at half-time, and that was from penalties. It tells you either Cardiff are rubbish or that Saints have a great defence.. so which one do you decide is correct, if you had not seen the game and what score would you have guessed?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Mar 31 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Stats don't lie, but they rarely tell the truth.[/b]

excellent example mate

i thought Cardiff were very exciting in attack. they have progressed massively and recruited wisely over the last two seasons...

and to think that myself and many other people were calling for Dai Young to be fired as coach...! well that proves people need time to settle into a job to prove their worth.

Will the same be true of Holley and Humphries at the opsreys

This topic actually really interested me so I did a fair bit of research on it. I ended up finding a list of every player to ever play for the Wallabies and went through it searching for names that I knew. I’m 22 so I remember most of the significant players from the 90’s onwards and I’ve read a fair bit about the teams of the 80’s (there is actually a fair bit of literature on it, undefeated grand slam and all). Every player with a significant amount of test caps that I had never heard of I researched further. After all that this is what I came up with for the Australia greatest 22. Some positions are no brainers (eg. George Smith at 7) but others are a matter of opinion in which case I have added the other possible player at the bottom (if they didn’t make the bench).

Wallabies greatest 22 (post 1980)

1. Ewen McKenzie
2. Phil Kearns
3. Richard Harry
4. David Giffin
5. John Eales
6. Simon Poidevan
7. George Smith
8. Toti Kefu

9. Nick Farr-Jones
10. Stephen Larkham
11. David Campese
12. Tim Horan
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Ben Tune
15. Matt Burke

16. Jeremy Paul
17. Andrew Blades
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Willy Ofahengaue
20. George Gregan
21. Michael Lynagh
22. Jason Little

Also could have been included
Mark Ella, Patricia Noriega, Joe Roff, David Wilson, Owen Finnigan, Chris Latham, Matt Giteau, Michael Foley.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 26 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 26 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 26 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my all-time world XV, but I've limited it to players of the proffessional era because 1) rugby is very much different and 2) that's the majority of the period I've been interested in rugby.

15. Christian Cullen (NZ)
14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca (Fiji)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
12. Tana Umaga (NZ)
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ)
10. Dan Carter (NZ)
9. Joost van der Westhuizen (SA)
8. Lawrence Dallaglio (England)
7. Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
6. Richard Hill (England)
5. John Eales (Australia)
4. Martin Johnson (England)
3. Carl Hayman (NZ)
2. Keith Wood (Ireland)
1. Tom Smith (Scotland)[/b]

Tim Horan > Tana Umaga
Jonny Wilkinson @ his best >>> Dan Carter @ his best
Zinzan Brooke > Lawrence Dallaglio
Jason Leonard > Carl Hayman

That is all.
[/b][/quote]

I'd probably only agree with Zinzan out of those 4, don't think Wilkinson ever managed to reach the level of performance that Carter did during the 2005 Lions series, think too many people are overrating Leonard, longevity doesn't necessarily equate with greatness, (John Hayes can attest to that), had Woodman not got his serious injury he would be making these teams easily ahead of Leonard.
[/b][/quote]

Not bad, I'll just change Tom Smith to Os du Randt. He is a legend, the guy has 2 World Cup medals.

SPRINGBOK LEGENDS

15. ANDRE LE ROUX
14. RAY MORDT
13. DANIE GERBER
12. MANNETJIES ROUX
11. BRYAN HABANA
10. NAAS BOTHA
9. JOOST VAN DER WESTHUIZEN
8. GARY TEICHMAN
7. RUBEN KRUGER
6. FRANCOIS PIENAAR
5. MARK ANDREWS
4. FRIK DU PREEZ
3. DAAN DU PLESSIS
2. WILLIE KHATZ
1. OS DU RANDT

Again with the Byran Habana topic, is he really a legend of South African rugby, I think he's more of a myth (well his speed is...)

i've made a change at no2

SPRINGBOK LEGENDS

15. ANDRE LE ROUX
14. RAY MORDT
13. DANIE GERBER
12. MANNETJIES ROUX
11. BRYAN HABANA
10. NAAS BOTHA
9. JOOST VAN DER WESTHUIZEN
8. GARY TEICHMAN
7. RUBEN KRUGER
6. FRANCOIS PIENAAR
5. MARK ANDREWS
4. FRIK DU PREEZ
3. DAAN DU PLESSIS
2. ULI SCHMIDT
1. OS DU RANDT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Apr 29 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Again with the Byran Habana topic, is he really a legend of South African rugby, I think he's more of a myth (well his speed is...)[/b]

BRYAN HAS THE VISION TO ALREADY BE CONSIDERED A SOUTH AFRICAN LEGEND. HE IS VERY CLOSE TO THE RECORD FOR MOST TRIES BY A SPRINGBOK ALREADY, AND HE IS STILL A SPRING CHICKEN.

NOBODY DOUBTED LOMU WAS A LEGEND, EVEN IN 95 ALREADY

Feel free to stop using caps when you type, But Habana doesn't have Lomu's flair, Lomu was big and fast, Habana is apparently fast, seeing as he is not exactly big, so he isn't set apart from anything, Lomu however was the size of a truck with the speed of a Lamborghini, that's what set him apart from the rest making him one to watch, Habana is just a finisher.

The speed of a lambo, vs. the speed of a Fighter jet...

Given LOMU is my pick above habana. I think of habana as a great just as the welsh love Shane Williams.

Habana has the ability to read plays before they happen

But you're also looking at it from a Bulls supporters view, not saying that's wrong or anything, I could be wrong about Habana, I just don't see Habana as being a legend, he has a good nose for the tryline but really nothing he does is exceptionally special.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Habana has the ability to read plays before they happen[/b]

Alot of players have that ability, it's what gets them to the top, it doesn't make them legends.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Apr 29 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But you're also looking at it from a Bulls supporters view, not saying that's wrong or anything, I could be wrong about Habana, I just don't see Habana as being a legend, he has a good nose for the tryline but really nothing he does is exceptionally special.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Habana has the ability to read plays before they happen[/b]

Alot of players have that ability, it's what gets them to the top, it doesn't make them legends.
[/b][/quote]

i agree habana was just a flash in the pan!

i doubt Brayn habana is going to make the springbok team for the LIONS tour! Jongi Nokwe is making name for himself and with no doubt he is faster then habana!!!!!

Faster than habana, maybe...

Smarter than habana, no way...

Better than habana, well, he's a better pick on quota... lmao

My legends

15. Cristian cullan
14. Jeff Wilson
13. Conrad Smith
12. brain o`driscol
11. Jonah Lomu
10. Daniel carter
9. George Gregan
8. Zinzan Brook