• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Alternate Kits: The New Frontier or Commercial Exploitation

O

O'Rothlain

We've all seen them. Every team is doing them. What's the big deal?

It seems every club are coming out with alternate kits that push the edge of the traditional rugby hoops...

*(See The Full Article on Front Page, Discuss Below)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jan 4 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We've all seen them. Every team is doing them. What's the big deal?

It seems every club are coming out with alternate kits that push the edge of the traditional rugby hoops...

*(See The Full Article on Front Page, Discuss Below)[/b]

Well, obviously it's an attempt to sell more shirts.

Even if you're not a hardcore fan, if you see a shirt that looks cool then you're likely get it. I have no allegiance to Leinster but I have one of their shirts from a few years ago because I liked how it looks. If I had a lot of money and a bigger wardrobe, then I'd be splashing out on a lot more shirts simply because they look good, even if I didn't like the team.

Fact is, for both RL and Union the 'look' is a major selling point. Because the teams are stuffed full of young musclebound men, it's like having 13/15 free models. Shirts haven't gone all tight-fitting to stop scragging. RL shorts aren't so short because it makes them easier to run in. Canterbury didn't make those sticky shirts to coincide with the WC in order to improve players' fitness. They're all designed to emphasize physiques and ultimately to sell to fans.That's why even the trim on shirts curves round in line with the body's shape.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all fine. But I'd draw the line at changing the home shirt. For example I think Stade have gone a little far. I think if a club has a set of colours then it should keep them... I'd be disappointed if Saracens ever wore anything other than a mainly black shirt with bits of red. I wouldn't care if the sleeves/ sides were red, just so long as they kept the same basic colour scheme. Us, Wasps, Quins, and Northampton have all done well to keep our traditional look. Even though it's corrupted elswhere, football is a great example of this. All the sides wear the same home kit they would've worn in the 50s.

Away kits are different, and fair play, use them as marketing oppurtunities. It's a bit of fun, and since an away shirt will never be part of the 'blood' of a club, it's fine to change it.

I forgot to mention the Quins pink number...
CRUK-Shirt.jpg

Apparently Cancer Research UK is getting like ₤20 from each shirt.

Hey what season is that stade francais kit in the bottom photo on the right from? And who's in the picture on the front of the jersey? Looks sweet. If anyone has seen it on ebay let me know.

Let's be honest, it's just a sales gimmick. I mean, whats going to sell more? A kit that looks identicle to every other team, apart from the logos (Canterbury for example?) or Rhino and Addidas making some pretty outlandish and special kits? The Edinburgh one was only for the derby against the great unwashed, but it was still a good idea to get some extra cash. Rugby is a business now in the professional ranks, so these things help to bring the pennies in. I have no problems with that if the money made from these 'wacky' shirts is reinvested in player development. As long as we don't go down the route of football whereby it becomes all abotu making money and teams change their shirts every year (something Edinburgh have done in the past few years and has annoyed me greatly...now they've got a suberb kitmaker in Rhino I hope we keep the current shirts, I quite like them!). At any rate though, these shirts aren't nearly as bad as pink boots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 6 2009, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey what season is that stade francais kit in the bottom photo on the right from? And who's in the picture on the front of the jersey? Looks sweet. If anyone has seen it on ebay let me know.[/b]
All three pictures are from the present season. Go here to buy one:
http://boutique.stade.fr/boutique/liste_pr...g_fr&num=11

So, the Edinburgh was only for that one game? I guess that's what the Quins did also. I quite like the Edinburgh one, though...wouldn't be a bad alternate for Europe.

Yeah it was brought out for the 1872 cup games against Glasgow...IE our fixtures against the Warriors that the SRU try to make more interesting. It's still on sale in a lot of shops here, might have a look later to see if it's been reduced. I much prefer out current home shirt tbh, more of a traditional look to it.

I agree with gingergenius in that I don't agree with changing the home colours of the shirt as it bears the identity of a club. Are we going to see the Munster wearing pink? I certainly hope not. It is clear that the new, quirky and artistic shirts are creating more sales. Obviously money for a club is extremely important in the current rugby climate.

I like the idea of the pink shirts where money used from the sales go to caner charity. Cardiff Blues have done it this year aswell, so it seems to be a popular idea. At least we will be able to see the players if it snows ;)

It's just a fashion thing though. Just like some football shirts from the 80s, we'll look back in 2 or 3 decades and think to ourselves "oh bejesus, what the hell were they thinking?"

Does any one known when the new 09/11 england rugby kit is being launched??
I cant wait to see england run out in somthing that looks more of a feared and reaspected kit, rather than the trash we are currently wearing!
Also bring back navy blue and white socks!!
2451160436602.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (90Tigers @ Jan 27 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does any one known when the new 09/11 england rugby kit is being launched??
I cant wait to see england run out in somthing that looks more of a feared and reaspected kit, rather than the trash we are currently wearing!
Also bring back navy blue and white socks!!
2451160436602.jpg
[/b]

and cocaine addicted non-scrummagers.

Latest posts