• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Amy Winehouse is Dead.

What is it about 27 ...

Yeah, a mate pointed that out to me. Jimmy Hendrix, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain etc (there is a wikipedia page called 27 Club apparently.

I think it's tragic that she died. To compare the event to Norway is wrong, as there is no doubt that the Norway incident was just a horrendous loss of life, but it is always sad that any life that is taken or in Whinehouse's case, wasted. Not a huge fan of her music, but it's a shame none the less.

As pointed out, I do think the media coverage it is receiving in comparison to what happened in Norway, is pretty poor.

Salute the brilliance of a heroin user? Nah I'll save it for the likes of the 1 RIFLES Cpl who was killed last week. Who knows perhaps one of her hits paid for the IED

They tried to make me go to rehab but I said no, nooooo, no.

Any loss of life is a sad event and condolences to her family and friends but Africa has bigger problems to report on. Which makes even the mindless butchery in Norway pale in comparison.

Last edited:
She joins Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones, Robert Johnson and Jim Morrison in the 27 Club.

Justin Bieber turns 27 in 2021... we would just have to sit around and wait till then i guess...

i heard Elton John sang at her Funeral, his song choice was "candle under the spoon"...

Salute the brilliance of a heroin user? Nah I'll save it for the likes of the 1 RIFLES Cpl who was killed last week. Who knows perhaps one of her hits paid for the IED

Should probably be pointed out that killing people for a living is worse than using heroin, but no doubt those guys will be considered 'heroes' and I'll be considered to be in the wrong.

Should probably be pointed out that killing people for a living is worse than using heroin, but no doubt those guys will be considered 'heroes' and I'll be considered to be in the wrong.

He? I'm pretty sure you know that if one joined the armed forces, at no point would a contract/ supreroir say "All right, you need to kill X amount of people, or else you don't get paid"

He? I'm pretty sure you know that if one joined the armed forces, at no point would a contract/ supreroir say "All right, you need to kill X amount of people, or else you don't get paid"

Perhaps not, but it's a pretty big part of the job nonetheless. To say otherwise would be silly. Yet soldiers are glorified?

No, salute the brilliance of an artist.

And perhaps the UK provides the funding for those IEDs, through Pakistan. Crazy world.

Anyway, you're comparing apples and oranges. Both are good, but with different goals. Focusing on press coverage is a bit ... Murdoch.

ps. irony in the heroin thing - why are British soldiers fighting in Afghanistan?

Perhaps not, but it's a pretty big part of the job nonetheless. To say otherwise would be silly. Yet soldiers are glorified?

Yes and no, I suppose. Whilst on deployment, undoubtedly there will be shots fired and people killed. However, I'm pretty confident when I say that you, me and 95% of humanity would prefer a global society where no shots need be fired.

However, for various reasons, there be the 5%. In terms of stable, non-autocratic countries, the job of soldiers is to protect the populace from the 5%, whether that be by deterence or direct engagement. If you think they are glorified, well thats your opinion, I for one am grateful for the individuals who willingly enter an occupation, such as the police/ military, knowing full well they stand the chance of getting shot at and killed on the behalf of the British people.

I'd also wager that a vast chunk of British/ American soldiers dating back from Vietnam have never even successfully shot an opponent

Soldiers face the possibility of killing on equal odds with the possibility of dying when they become soldiers. Therefore if killing is a pretty big part of the job, as you say, then so dying is a big part of the job. Profesionalism like that deserves all the respect you can throw at them.

so it's agree, Terrorists are bad. The dogs protecting the sheep from the wolves are good.

If you want to get into a debate on the soldiers I would be more than happy to start a thread.

Soldiers face the possibility of killing on equal odds with the possibility of dying when they become soldiers. Therefore if killing is a pretty big part of the job, as you say, then so dying is a big part of the job. Profesionalism like that deserves all the respect you can throw at them.

I reckon Feircarsinn has never been shot at........

I reckon Feircarsinn has never been shot at........
You say that like it's a bad thing! I reckon the so called "western world" is more unsafe now than it was before the US and their allies led a crusade against Iraq, Afghanistan and whichever other country with oil supplies they've bombed in the last 30 years. Coincidence or the side effect of their misguided foreign policies?

None of this has anything to do with Amy Winehouse though.......

You say that like it's a bad thing! I reckon the so called "western world" is more unsafe now than it was before the US and their allies led a crusade against Iraq, Afghanistan and whichever other country with oil supplies they've bombed in the last 30 years. Coincidence or the side effect of their misguided foreign policies?

None of this has anything to do with Amy Winehouse though.......

You are correct, that is why I suggested a seperate thread for this type of discussion.

Problem is, it usually devolves to mud slinging.

Latest posts