• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

An Tarbh

G

getofmeland

Hi Everyone

As some of you may of noticed An Tarbh has not been on the boards and his account was deleted. I have looked through the logs to see who performed this action and it would appear from our records that it was himself, and not any of the other admins... We have tried to get in contact with An Tarbh, but our emails have been bouncing back to him, We have also tried to chat to him when he has been on MSN but have had no reply from him on there... We have noticed he has been browsing the forum, but to date currently hasnt been in contact with any member of staff..

If you do know a way of getting hold of him or you know any information about this then please get in contact with St Helens or Myself, we would be very grateful..

An Tarbh is very important member of the boards and it would be a great shame to lose him, so we would like to gain contact with him...

Thank you for you co-operation

Charlie

I blame Kaftka! An Tarbh was oviously offended by his rep seeking stench.

Seriously though, I wonder what's happened to our favourate Irishman? It just seems so out of the blue!

I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation for all this, but until we get some concrete answers we've just no idea what's happening.

I am afraid I have to inform you all that An Tarbh, has decided to delete his account because there were some posts which he thought were appalling and he doesn't want to have anything to do with somewhere where those views are not only tolerated but backed up as well.

I am sure you will all agree that he will be grately missed, and we hope at some point he can feel he can return

That is a shame, have the posters of said posts been informed of their demise of a fellow member?

I've got a satisfactory reply from An Tarbh, and issued one in response.

Life goes on.

Fair Play to him, he obviously feels strongly enough about whatever it was that he didn't agree with. I also suppose it is difficult to oppose something/someone flowing into a direction and you feel like you are the only one going against the stream, I have also recently felt like doing the same, not that I have nearly as big an impact as An Tarbh on this forum but certain things just seem to be going in the opposite direction than what I feel it should. I also suppose that An tarbh, at risk of others making him look silly, decided to go without saying anything. I have alot of respect for him, but I feel I have to offload, and I feel it's better if I do it in a transparent way

For a start I can say that the forum's "feel" has become slightly "amatuerish". I see countless mention made about getting more members, yet, on the portal the rugby forum endorses videos in Air ben's weekly video of a kid lip syncing to some emo ****, badly. I remind that this is the same forum where a couple of months ago fun were made of the guys on Sidhe forum's attempts at rap lyrics - aren't we now in the same class?? Will a propsective new member look at those video's and think WOW! I really want to be part of this forum?? Somehow, (unless they're emo rockstar wannabe's) I doubt it.

I don't only have negative things to say though, the chat function, shout box, portal - all signs of a TRF that is growing as a forum, for the better thanks to the iniciative of Getofmeland and St. Helen's it really is good. Well done.

There is something else that bothers me and I'm sure there's others that has thought of this. Earlier today I disagreed with a post by St. H, I thought long and hard about wheter I should post or not because of his position, now that he owns the board and all, and it got me thinking what guarantee do I have that I can safely voice an opinion within the rules of the forum but which disagrees with the views of staff members and even the owner and not be victimised/alienated by that tier of members? HOw does the disiplinary procedure work for disciplining members and even staff that breaks the forum rules? Is it only mods/admin that decide wheter the member should be punished and the punishment etc? Should there be a group of normal members that over-sees disciplinaries againts members?

I like this forum, especially the members. My mates mostly like football. I like coming here and getting guys who know their stuff to play fantasy rugby and I can play against people whose opinions mean something to me, I like the banter, the comedy, I don't want to leave and I don't want to not voice an opinion for fear of persecution. I don't want others to leave either or have fears they might be mistreated. Where does the TRF stand with these things?

So, An Tarbh is gone. Always seemed to be a level headed guy with the forums interests first. It's a shame, I'll miss him.

I myself feel that the forum is growing well and making progress in a variety of directions. More than happy with the changes, and general direction.

I do feel however that there will always be a contest in any forum to be the most popular, in some ways this is most healthy, some ways not. With the 'Rep point' scenario for example, we have mods and admin (with the exception of Saint Helens, genuinely he does not seem to seek these things), basically competing with each other for how large a score they can get.

Would be good if they spent more time dishing out and not trying to get these things (and I'm DEFINITELY NOT talking about towards myself). There are new members who need to be looked out for by these guys.

I know they do a lot of work on the forum, and I appreciate it, but they are in a responsible position. Let the ******* contest between a few of these guys stop.

I'm afraid to neg rep them without at least saying this first. After all, in a contradictory turn, I do like and respect these guys.

Probably not THE most important issue, still it's my chance to say something. Maybe we need a thread where we can say these things that are getting to us, I know I would have posted this there.

Anyhow, I hope An Tarbh comes back, some day.

Originally posted by Quintes@Jul 9 2006, 09:24 PM
For a start I can say that the forum's "feel" has become slightly "amatuerish". I see countless mention made about getting more members, yet, on the portal the rugby forum endorses videos in Air ben's weekly video of a kid lip syncing to some emo ****, badly. I remind that this is the same forum where a couple of months ago fun were made of the guys on Sidhe forum's attempts at rap lyrics - aren't we now in the same class?? Will a propsective new member look at those video's and think WOW! I really want to be part of this forum?? Somehow, (unless they're emo rockstar wannabe's) I doubt it.
:bravo:

Agree with a lot of what's being said. Ideas to improve the forum are great, but not all of them should be used.

Also, for An Tarbh just in case you still read the boards - I'm pretty sure I know what caused you to leave, and I can see your point entirely.

However, I would hate for you to go down the path of members like woodie, who now win 'Most Missed Member' every time, but whose contribution is what's really appreciated.

An internet forum will always produce things that rile you, but I think everyone has to take it that these views are that of an individual, and not of the board as a whole.

I understand your decision, but it would be great, and make more of a statement, if you stayed around to oppose these views and talk about why you disagree so strongly.

That way everyone can move forward, and realise what they are saying, rather than just losing an irreplacable poster.

Quintes - We decided to give Air Ben a chance, reluctantly, but I have to agree that it is crumby and after several comments from established member i have decided to remove it.

Also I am here to listen to your critism, if you feel a post of mine is inappropriate and offends you, or there is something you dont like and would like to change, then please pm me, and i will be more than happy to listen to your views, put my point across... I want the best for this forum, and believe that as a member of staff I should be putting the best possible example across to other members... thats why I am no longer going to beg for rep, and I will also be trying to read all the new posts and rep respectivly...

One of the key areas, I want to get moving is the Hall of Fame, I feel it should be the showpiece of the forum... but the problem being is encouraging others to post things in there and getting the HOFF's to do their Job...

It must be hard trying to please all of the people all of the time. Do appreciate you trying though.

And Air Ben, no offense mate, but there is a better place for your stuff.......

Originally posted by Quintes@Jul 9 2006, 09:24 PM
Earlier today I disagreed with a post by St. H, I thought long and hard about wheter I should post or not because of his position, now that he owns the board and all, and it got me thinking what guarantee do I have that I can safely voice an opinion within the rules of the forum but which disagrees with the views of staff members and even the owner and not be victimised/alienated by that tier of members? HOw does the disiplinary procedure work for disciplining members and even staff that breaks the forum rules?
But it's not against the rules to disagree with the owner of the board or any staff member.....

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me - if it's about the board I actively WANT you to tell me if there's a problem because I need to seek the happy medium, where everyone is happy. As you can appreciate this isn't easy.

And if you disagree with me about anything.... so what? Being the board's owner doesn't make me right about everything. You've an opinion to which you're entitled to. An Tarbh has his opinion, which he is entitled to, and I have my opinion, to which I'm entitled to.

What's the worst I can do Quintes? The answer is: disagree with you.

All fairly true, I think this is the firs time I have rad the forum or posted in a few months so I'm quite out of the loop, however whatever was said must have been quite offensive for Tarbhy to leave because to me he does not appear the type to leave suddenly for attention.

We don't want to get to worried though, an intelligent debate cannot survive without healthy disagreements and none to often someone will be ofended, one can only hope they react to it in a rational way.

Gotta admit though, Saint Helens and getofmeland, it is great to be able to get these things off our chests and have you guys address it.

For example I think Quintes had a point, and now it seems you have clarified it. Thats great in my book.

maybe its a ploy to win the 'Most Missed Member' award? because from what you guys are saying, he/she is sorely missed

"We both know you won't get halfway to Vergon 6 before THE CRAVING sets in. Then, you'll come crawling back for some sweet, sweet candy. .....BAM."

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jul 10 2006, 05:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quintes
@Jul 9 2006, 09:24 PM
Earlier today I disagreed with a post by St. H, I thought long and hard about wheter I should post or not because of his position, now that he owns the board and all, and it got me thinking what guarantee do I have that I can safely voice an opinion within the rules of the forum but which disagrees with the views of staff members and even the owner and not be victimised/alienated by that tier of members? HOw does the disiplinary procedure work for disciplining members and even staff that breaks the forum rules?
But it's not against the rules to disagree with the owner of the board or any staff member.....

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me - if it's about the board I actively WANT you to tell me if there's a problem because I need to seek the happy medium, where everyone is happy. As you can appreciate this isn't easy.

And if you disagree with me about anything.... so what? Being the board's owner doesn't make me right about everything. You've an opinion to which you're entitled to. An Tarbh has his opinion, which he is entitled to, and I have my opinion, to which I'm entitled to.

What's the worst I can do Quintes? The answer is: disagree with you. [/b]
Thanks St H. however it doesn't completely answer my question. So let's continue the debate if it's alright. And Please understand my intention for these questions is not malicious but purely for the sake of understanding it from a members point of view and hopefully to clarify where you and the staff stand on issues like these for myself and others

What confidence do I have that I or other members can safely disagree with a comment by you or a member of staff and not be ganged up on because of it? I mean you say that the worst you (or staff) can do is disagree but you and staff have a lot more power than that, like deleting neg reps*. Members of staff basically work for the forum which is owned by you, so technically you are their boss. These people are in positions of power because (apologies if I'm wrong) you've willed it, they respect you and you respect them, so any disagreement in my view towards one of you is a disagreement to everyone in a position of authority. How can members be assured they can be fairly treated and not be ganged upon by staff in those situations? What systems are in place to ensure that when a member/staff over steps the line the matter will be treated fairly without any bias. People normally behave and I have no intention to overstep the mark deliberately, but that's no reason not to have a fair way of dealing with a situation when it arises.

Los Lover's situation should be a lesson to us all, he claimed his 150000 year banning was unfair (I'm not saying it was, mainly using it as an example) forced by principles taken from NAzi Germany, now An Tarbh leaves the forum due to views and support of said views without a real concrete reason or a review of the views that offended him in the first place.

I say once again to summarise, I come to this forum to have fun and natter to people about rugga (why I get involved in this discussion is so I can safely keep doing the former), I feel comfortable and proud with the fact that I am part of this online community, I would hate to have my name or reputation tarnished because of a misunderstanding or disagreement with staff and a biased approach taken to alienate/discipline me or any other member and that is why I want to know where those in roles of responsibility stand as far as this goes, because then I, and others can better judge wheter to keep posting freely or wheter to use restrain and simply avoid disagreeing with staff. Cheers for your patience and understanding in the matter.

* What did happen to the neg rep I gave you yesterday?

Well Quintes, if people neg rep me, I can't delete it myself. I can certainly ask for it to be deleted if I want, but I think it's important that I know what people think. Not to mention that, as CA Iversen has spotted, whilst I enjoy getting +REP it really doesn't bother me.

I don't have a leash on my staff, I allow them to do as they wish. Unless it's a serious incident, people don't get ganged up on. Los got ganged up on, and to an extent, so did loratadine. Both of them brought it all on themselves.

There's no TRF mafia, Quintes.

Latest posts