• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

and SBW signs with the Chiefs

the cheifs are **** why join them when you could be 5 times the wages in toulon.

shud be interesting kahui and sbw in the centre could be awesome

Didn't Nonu sign with them too? why would they need another 12?

Didn't Nonu sign with them too? why would they need another 12?

Nonu signed for the Blues.

Also this article says he might join, Blues have also offered him a deal.

Last edited:
I hope this isnt the case, but their sources are normally pretty reliable. I have enjoyed watching SBW in canterbury colours, he has been a joy to watch. I am the first to admit that I didnt want him in the crusaders when they first announced they got him. I knew he was a raw talent and wasnt sure what we were going to get. But after watching him play, and seeing the skills he has he is going to be missed. just the way he carrys himself on and off the field has won me over as a fan. I didnt like how he was boxing before the season started but couldnt play the first few games because of an injury. He can box but not play? i thought that was pretty weak.

I will be watching him play for the chiefs, if he does go there. I like watching ex crusaders players and seeinig how they go (normally after they finish with the crusaders they dont go as well, but hopefully this doesnt happen to him). Though saying all this if he goes to the Blues I wont watch. i think its just the colours i dont like :)

The main thing about this whole thing is that SBW will be staying in NZ next year, and playing for the AB's again, and that can only be good for the sport. He is still raw, and still has alot to learn but he has the talent to get there and brings in alot of fans.

Don't think it's confirmed yet. It will be interesting to see if he stays with Canterbury or joins Waikato/Counties Manukau(where Tana is).

Don't think this is the right move for SBW if it goes ahead. He is still new to rugby union so why move away from playing outside the best fly-half in the world. He can learn so much more from the Crusaders, Carter and Richie.

Don't think this is the right move for SBW if it goes ahead. He is still new to rugby union so why move away from playing outside the best fly-half in the world. He can learn so much more from the Crusaders, Carter and Richie.

I think it's because of Wayne Smith who is now the Chiefs backs coach. That would have a massive sway as he is the mastermind behind the All Blacks attack.

Yeah, not officially confirmed but is probably true. Apparently he will announce his decision sometime after the SupeRugby season... It's unfortunate for him to leave the Crusaders. I thought it would have been better for his Rugby progression and career to stay here in ChCh being with a consistently successful Champion team, why would you want to leave? As I can't see the Chiefs being that successful.

But I guess he's nearly accomplished everything that he came to ChCh for (Playing alongside Carter, winning the ITM Cup ***le, Ranfurly Shield and hopefully this Saturday the 2011 SupeRugby ***le). So with all those under his belt, I guess he feels he can move on.

I wonder if he would have stayed if we didn't have the Earthquakes, or was his intention always going to be to leave after 1 year?

Obviously Smith has a lot to do with this move. Without the Smith factor I'd have picked SBW to go to Auckland as a lot of his family are there and the Chiefs are, well, based predominately in Hamilton.

I think the earthquake(s) have had a lot to do with it too. Apparently, the September one woke him up very early in the morning and that's not good, no one likes being woken up early.

Having SBW at the Chiefs will probably increase the crowd numbers at Waikato Stadium from 25 to 2000+ with all the 15 year old girls wanting to go along and watch him.

the main reason for the move will be because of the earthquakes, it's a shame but you can't really blaim him.

Tana and Smith being involved with the chiefs is a bonus for him but with Nonu signed with the blues the chiefs were pretty much the only option.

Chiefs just need a 10 now, either sign Donald I know there is a lot of talk about him going to bath but as far as I know nothing has been confirmed. Or sign Cruden or one of the other up and comming 10's.

Need a winger too, they should take Maitland Back >.<

the main reason for the move will be because of the earthquakes, it's a shame but you can't really blaim him.

Tana and Smith being involved with the chiefs is a bonus for him but with Nonu signed with the blues the chiefs were pretty much the only option.

Chiefs just need a 10 now, either sign Donald I know there is a lot of talk about him going to bath but as far as I know nothing has been confirmed. Or sign Cruden or one of the other up and comming 10's.

Need a winger too, they should take Maitland Back >.<

Donald signed for Bath last month ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/13704603.stm

Yeah, I think the combination of the Quake, being closer to his family in Auckland, and the Wayne Smith factor make this a good decision for SBW ... how long he'll stay is another matter, as i saw an interview with NZRU CEO Steve Tew, and he almost seemed resigned to the fact that they'll have to give SBW a one year contract.

... Sadly, as a Crusaders fan, SBW could be one of many to leave the franchise, as the earthquake/lack of a home ground looks like it might continue on into next year

Yeah, I think the combination of the Quake, being closer to his family in Auckland, and the Wayne Smith factor make this a good decision for SBW ... how long he'll stay is another matter, as i saw an interview with NZRU CEO Steve Tew, and he almost seemed resigned to the fact that they'll have to give SBW a one year contract.

... Sadly, as a Crusaders fan, SBW could be one of many to leave the franchise, as the earthquake/lack of a home ground looks like it might continue on into next year

I think SBW is making a mockery of the system by only doing one year contracts. Older players in their 30's have signed on for more years. It really does show his commitment to New Zealand rugby though if he is only willing to sign yearly contracts.

There has been a few Earthquakes in the North Island in the past week and the latest one being today in Taupo which is quite close to Hamilton (home base of the Chiefs), measuring magnitude 6.5 on the Richter scale. Don't know if this is the start of things to come though as on the News they said be prepared for more to come. If that is true then SBW will still be feeling the quakes, just in a different city...

I think SBW is making a mockery of the system by only doing one year contracts. Older players in their 30's have signed on for more years. It really does show his commitment to New Zealand rugby though if he is only willing to sign yearly contracts.

I think the more professional rugby becomes the more we will see one year contracts and it's just a reality of the game. Not idea for the NZRU but the player is also taking a risk. Longer contracts do offer stability and protection where with a one year contract you wont know where your meal ticket is coming in 12 months time.

but for the NZRU their main objective is to lock players in for "the next world cup" so they can focus on devaloping them as a team for that time.

Latest posts