• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anglo Cup Returns

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Dec 2 2005, 06:13 PM
^^^

Not to be too akward, but Henson is an inside centre while Smith is an outside centre.

However, Ollie Barkley > Henson. And that's a hell of a comment!!!!
<
Meh, I know, but I'm a simple guy, a centre is a centre to me. None of this inside, outside crap.
<

In your 12, you want a reliable tackler in all positions, and with Barkley, you at least you get that.
<

Originally posted by Boy@Dec 2 2005, 01:16 PM
Think I probably played with him half a dozen or so times at Frome RFC before he went off to Bath (then Bristol, now Saints). Used to play 10 those days, and was always trying petulent little tricks. Funny to see him use pretty much the same tricks playing in the centres for Saints at Sarriers. I didn't fall for them, of course...
He'd burn you now.
<

Wasn't convinced by him last season, but this year he's come on leaps and bounds. Tipped by Carlos Spencer as a future England player, and if he continues to improve at the rate he has then I wouldn't bet against it.

it doesnt matter, there still to the SEMI FINALS - not the quarters - you dont know what youre talking about - that makes you ignorant

rugby is all about opinions - and youre opinion is that smith is better than henson

whereas i think henson is alot better than smith.

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 2 2005, 09:31 PM
it doesnt matter, there still to the SEMI FINALS - not the quarters - you dont know what youre talking about - that makes you ignorant

rugby is all about opinions - and youre opinion is that smith is better than henson

whereas i think henson is alot better than smith.
What are you talking about?
<

I predicted they would make it anyway, and the only Welsh team to make it. You said at least 2 would, and 1 would win it. How wrong you are and will be.

Thanks for respecting my views, considering they are right on this one.
<

yeah... right... nice one

henson would own smith

and well see that next week.

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 2 2005, 10:41 PM
henson would own smith
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
rugby is all about opinions - and youre opinion is that smith is better than henson[/b]

<
Complete idiot. Can't remember what you typed a few posts ago. Nice one!

It won't be fair to rush Gav back versus such a big team. He will lack match fitness, and won't be up to pace with Smith, Murphy and Varndell.

yeah - brilliant mate - nice face - henson would own smith - and he'll own him next week.

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 2 2005, 11:45 PM
yeah - brilliant mate - nice face - henson would own smith - and he'll own him next week.
'Yeah - brilliant mate' - pfft is that the best you can do in an arguement? Pathetic.

Can't you construct an arguement to make some valid points about why you are right and I am wrong, rather than just being a sarcastic dumbarse?

Smith - Runs straight lines, with pace and strength. With cut in on Henson, leaving Henson in his vulnerable tacking position.

- Will have more match fitness than Henson

- More experienced than Henson.

- Plays in a better team, will have more possesion to work with.

- His distrubution skills are just as good as Henson, who only really has an advantage in the kicking game.

You try!

henson is a proving try scorer at both club and internatioal level - smith isnt.
i think people are a little harsh to criticise henson for his tackling, i remember hims missing one big one and that was against carter, and if it wasnt for "old timer" greenwood dropping the ball he wouldnt have had to defend. Most of the games ive seen him in his tackling is quite good - granted hes not as good as he thinks he is at tackling and have got to stop trying to make the perfect big hit.

henson have got a tremendous step, a deceptively good step, i doubt you'd know as you prob dont watch many osprey games, but henson has good feet and can cut back inside well,

he is stronger than smith - thats in no doubt

hes a better passer of the ball in my opinion - and his hands are terrific, remember that pick up against the bop in the lions tour - quality,

hes a good reader of a game and can see space well

he has a massive boot, one of the biggest in the nh, this offers and extra kicking option both for the fly-half and covering with the fullback

hes faster than he looks, i distinctl remember henson outpacing mathew tait in cardiff, and it was only due to jason robinson that he didnt score

leicster are a good team - im in no doubt, but we have a tremendous team to - and im hopefully that if we get some solidity at the breakdown we can match and even beat leicster, as ive said - youre entitled to youre opinion - as am i - and i think henson would own smith. and is a better player.

Thank you.

henson is a proving try scorer at both club and internatioal level - smith isnt.[/b]

Stats please. Smith has scored more tries than Henson at club level, I bet you. Not at international, but that is because he hasn't had the chance yet.

i think people are a little harsh to criticise henson for his tackling, i remember hims missing one big one and that was against carter, and if it wasnt for "old timer" greenwood dropping the ball he wouldnt have had to defend. Most of the games ive seen him in his tackling is quite good - granted hes not as good as he thinks he is at tackling and have got to stop trying to make the perfect big hit.[/b]

True, but insert 'Greenwood' for 'Thomas.' Head on tackles, he dtops people, but doesn't use his arms (therefore illegal) and he can't tackle on angles.

he is stronger than smith - thats in no doubt[/b]

Smith is faster, and more mobile.

hes a better passer of the ball in my opinion - and his hands are terrific, remember that pick up against the bop in the lions tour - quality,[/b]

About equal with Smith. 1 pick-up doesn't make his hands amazing. Smith is capable of finding openings better than Henson, but he probably has a longer pass.

hes a good reader of a game and can see space well[/b]

And Smith.

he has a massive boot, one of the biggest in the nh, this offers and extra kicking option both for the fly-half and covering with the fullback[/b]

Granted, but Leicester have other kicking options. Plus Smith is outside, meaning he is very unlikely to be in first receivor to kick the ball.

hes faster than he looks, i distinctl remember henson outpacing mathew tait in cardiff, and it was only due to jason robinson that he didnt score[/b]

No, Henson himself, when asked about Tait, said he tracked him down at a time where he probably would have scored a try. Smith is also faster.

My opinion is though that you think he is a better player because of your nationality, where as I am seeing it through different eyes. I'm happy to admit that Shanklin is a better player than Smith. But not Henson.

my nationality has got nothing to do with it, i just think englands centres are crap.

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 3 2005, 12:19 AM
my nationality has got nothing to do with it, i just think englands centres are crap.
That's a bit of a genralisation and unfair isn't it? Just because Andy Robinson doesn't know what the right choices are doesn't mean there aren't fantastic English centres;

Smith
Abbott
Lewsey
Barkley
Tait (given time)
Jon Clarke (Englands future outside centre)
Sinbad (even though I don't rate him, someone is bound to 'correct' me and mention him)

Plus there are some excelent sevens players like Appleford and Vilk who could get into the squad if needed.

you've also got ben johnston at saracens who at one time was in the england set up, and even kevin sorrell for that matter

Originally posted by harrison2468@Dec 2 2005, 06:59 PM
You still don't what your talking about when it comes to the players though, making you ignorant. They are doing a very good job, but you wouldn't know about that, being ignorant and all.
<

Henson is a centre. Smith is a centre. Smith is better, simple as.

Regardless of quality, which he really doesn't have much of, I would never want such an unproffessional player in a team I support. Slagging off your own players is just out of order. He isn't as good as you think him, it's just that you are engulfed by the media for him too much. You can only make up your mind through reading articles, rather than watching the player himself.

Jealous of Henson?
<
What, because I slag him off for being a knob, a crap one at that. Get over it, you just love his legs in reality
YOU don't know what you're talking about because you can't see the difference between 1st and 2nd centre.

Twice now you've said Smith is better than Henson, without bothering to tell us why.

Once again I say the whole 'slagging off teamates' thing was blown out of proportion, it hasn't affected Wales or the Ospereys.

The first time I saw Henson play was a few years back when he was playing for Swansea against Leinster in the HEC, I think it was 4 years ago. Swansea were awful and lost heavily but Henson was brilliant, he scored all Swansea's points in a full house. So don't give me bullshit about only reading about him.

I say you're jealous because Bristol's centres lack star quality. The petty nature of your insults about him only confirms my perception.

And yes, Gavin has lovely legs.

Twice now you've said Smith is better than Henson, without bothering to tell us why.[/b]

Um, look back a page.

Once again I say the whole 'slagging off teamates' thing was blown out of proportion, it hasn't affected Wales or the Ospereys.[/b]

Do you have a crystal ball? Don't make assumptions, he hasn't represented either since writting the book. He will make Wales fall apart.

I say you're jealous because Bristol's centres lack star quality. The petty nature of your insults about him only confirms my perception.[/b]

Um, Lima is not a star right? Pfft, a legend in Samoa and the game, four WCs FFS. Cox is playing amazing at the moment for us at the moment, and I'm perfectly happy with where we are in the table, well above the expections.

Petty insults? Your the one who keeps involving Bristol in this conversation. I originally said he would get owned where he plays, mainly because it is the first time. 9 out of 10 will want to smack Henson for his actions. He isn't playing now so it deosn't matter now really does it? Petty is involving my team every post.

henson could still make it on the bench, there not making a decision till tomorrow

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 3 2005, 11:55 AM
henson could still make it on the bench, there not making a decision till tomorrow
I doubt he will play tbh.

Latest posts