• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another "Thinking of buying a 360" topic

R

Ripper

Thinking of going next gen sooner than I planned, and since the guy I'm going to room with at Uni next year already has a PS3, and the fact the 360 costs less, may as well join the Dark Side

Basically wanted to know :

Whats the difference between the Core and the Premium Packages? The only difference I see is that the Premium comes with the 20GB Harddrive, a wireless controller and a Media Remote, and I think I need more than 20GB anymore. Is the Elite package worth checking out? It's not that much more than the Premium Package, has all the same stuff plus the 120GB Harddrive.

I've been hearing alot about technical problems with the 360, how prevelant are they? Has anybody here experienced them? How easy is it to rip music onto it and set them up for use in games?

And most importantly, are games region free? As long as I can play NCAA Football without having to do some dodgy santanic things to it just so I can play a game I legally imported i'll be happy.

oh man, got my 360 about 6 months and i got the 3 rings of death this weekend so the thing is completely stuffed. I went on to the 360 forums and there is a thread about 70 pages long with people who have had the same problem, it seems to be really common. now i gotta ring microsoft and make sure they will replace it.

No probs with our free one yet (fingers crossed). We have ours networked to my pc so use music from that. Are still thrashing Gears of War too...

oh man, got my 360 about 6 months and i got the 3 rings of death this weekend so the thing is completely stuffed. I went on to the 360 forums and there is a thread about 70 pages long with people who have had the same problem, it seems to be really common. now i gotta ring microsoft and make sure they will replace it. [/b]

Make sure the plug in the back of the console isn't set to HD when you've got it in a normal TV, that's a regular cause of the problem that people don't think of.

Originally posted by Ripper+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ripper)</div>
Whats the difference between the Core and the Premium Packages? The only difference I see is that the Premium comes with the 20GB Harddrive, a wireless controller and a Media Remote, and I think I need more than 20GB anymore[/b]
The Core package is just the bare minimum of the three (obviously). It's the ideal version if you haven't got a HD compatible TV or no intention of going online & playing games online or downloading other content. With the Core package only get;
* Xbox 360
* Wired Controller
* Composite AV Cable
There is no hard drive or memory card with the Core package (unless the memory card is included in a package deal).

The Premiem package is the perfect choice for many users. With the Premiem package you get
* Xbox 360 (In a Chrome finish)
* 20GB Hard Drive
* Wireless Controller
* Xbox Live Headset (Wired)
* Component HD AV Cable - You can still use it if you haven't got a HD tele
* Ethernet Cable
* 1 months free trail of Xbox Live Gold
Originally posted by Ripper+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ripper)</div>
Is the Elite package worth checking out? It's not that much more than the Premium Package, has all the same stuff plus the 120GB Harddrive.[/b]
The Elite package is the newest version to come out. There's not alot of difference between the Elite & the Premiem. With the Elite you get;
* A Black Xbox 360 (With Chrome finish) - This has a new HDMI port to allow users to gain 1080p HD
* 120GB Hard Drive - This will be available to buy on its own
* Black Wireless Controller
* Black Wired Headset (Black)
* A HDMI cable - This will allow you to get up to 1080p HD with multichannel surround sound (Your tele needs to support 1080p, most current HD TVs only go up to 1080i)

The Elite version is only for those who have a TV that supports 1080p & likes the Black colour scheme over the current White colour scheme. There isn't any real reason why you should get this version. The 120GB hard drive will be available to buy when the Elite package is available to buy. So you can have a Premium package & buy a 120GB Hard drive.
Originally posted by Ripper
I've been hearing alot about technical problems with the 360, how prevelant are they? Has anybody here experienced them?
I have had a faulty 360, but I have had a brand new 360, free of charge. Microsoft's customer service is excellent. I did buy the 360 when it first came out, so I think that may be a factor. I don't think many people that bought 360 more recently had problems with their 360's.
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@
How easy is it to rip music onto it and set them up for use in games?
With the Premiem package, it automatically stores all in game soundtracks to your hard drives. I have ripped any music onto the 360 yet, though on the original Xbox, it take that long. The 360 is compatible with most mp3 players too, so you can plug your mp3 player & play your tunes that way.
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

And most importantly, are games region free? As long as I can play NCAA Football without having to do some dodgy santanic things to it just so I can play a game I legally imported i'll be happy.
No it isn't region free, though there are games that have no region protection on them, so with these games You can play on any console.

I bought my 360 at launch and havent had any probs yet.

You cant play NCAA sadly. Ive been dying to play this game for years on any console, still havent even played it once.

Do you still live in Napier ripper? They dont have a gameshop anymore do they?

You cant play NCAA sadly. Ive been dying to play this game for years on any console, still havent even played it once.

[/b]
Yeah, the Gameshops gone, from memory its been replaced by one of those hippie Herbal Medicine joints which sell windchimes and magic candles.

And shame about NCAA, Looks like I'll have to go and installed a *censored* like I did with my PS2 so I can play it.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Yeah, the Gameshops gone, from memory its been replaced by one of those hippie Herbal Medicine joints which sell windchimes and magic candles.

And shame about NCAA, Looks like I'll have to go and installed a *censored* like I did with my PS2 so I can play it. [/b][/quote] There are no mods chips out for the 360, instead there is a way of flashing the drive. Never done that though, so I couldn't tell you whats its like.

Yeah, thats what I meant (Never liked Mod Chips, too messy and fiddly so I just put a magical harddrive into my PS2).

Also, apparently the 360 works well with your iPod? I know you can charge it via the 360, but is there anything else it can do? Say rip music from the iPod onto the harddrive?

i know u cannot rip music from portable audio onto X360 WITHOUT THE MEDIA CENTRE PC HOOK UP

But they talk to eachother - as in u can play music on mp3 thru the X360 so u get quality sound...incase ur stuck on RCA's with silver plugs with ur amp

and mp3 simply charges via USB with ease

Haven't had a problem yet, I've had mine since Feb.

A few crashes here and there but I do run a lot of stuff at once for example:

Playing Gears Of War whilst using MSN, messing with music, etc.

I don't get a crash very often though, but to prevent over heating and f***nig my console up I have a fan running behind it to keep it reasonbly cool as it does create a lot of heat.

Just a precaution though.

If you get live, prepare to get your ass wooped by me though. :p

Very rarely I get a crash, actually I think I have only had the one since I have had my 360....

Well considering the fact that I bumped into an old mate on xbox live the other day, who indeed used to be the biggest Sony fanboy ever, that just proves how good it is, on some levels anyway :p

well my xbox was fixed pretty quickly. i sent it away on a wednesday and had it back first thing the next tuesday, all ready to go. been a week now and have had no problems.

Latest posts