• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another Wales 'Probables vs Possibles' test?

Without fans and a big viewer base, the regions struggle for finance and corporate deals. Without these, the regions do not have the money for good coaches and to bring in players to raise the standard. I think it all comes back to growing the game in Wales.

I don't think it helps that all of the stadiums are bunched up across the Southern coast of Wales. It's literally a 25 minute drive from the Liberty to Parc y Scarlets, and similar from Cardiff Arms to Rodney. Rather than trying to equalise the levels of resources amongst the region, Wales should have based two teams in their population centres (Swansea + Cardiff and Newport) and another team elsewhere as a feeder.

I did this last night, when thinking about the places English clubs occupy. Population densities of regions, and the clubs' stadiums locations:

attachment.php

Top geographical skills there fella!

Don't get me started on Welsh regional system, completely flawed and not thought through. I agree on tv deal for money etc, being a big problem. From where I live to go and watch the Scarlets and Ospreys, both distances are 1h 55 mins long just in one direction. They will never get the crowds to watch games, especially as games are played at times that are inconvenient to people who play on Saturdays. Regions should look at this, there is a solution to it.

Not disputing the flawed regional system Cymro, but it'd be difficult to massively cut-down on commute time from Aberystwyth regardless of where the regions were located. There isn't a population base in mid Wales big enough to support a region, and the road and rail networks are truly shocking in the area, South and Northbound. It takes until Carmarthen to the South and Dolgellau to the North before the roads improve, and even then if you get stuck behind slow moving traffic after Dolgellau, your screwed save for some straits suitable to overtake.

If there were a North-South motorway/dual carriageway (a route has been identified already I believe that passes within a few miles of Aber), then the commute time to Llanelli/Swansea could be slashed to just over an hour. It'd open the doors to thousands of rugby mad people for the regions, particularly the Scarlets, Ospreys and any potential North Wales based region.

Still, never going to happen, and certainly not for rugby reasons.

Not disputing the flawed regional system Cymro, but it'd be difficult to massively cut-down on commute time from Aberystwyth regardless of where the regions were located. There isn't a population base in mid Wales big enough to support a region, and the road and rail networks are truly shocking in the area, South and Northbound. It takes until Carmarthen to the South and Dolgellau to the North before the roads improve, and even then if you get stuck behind slow moving traffic after Dolgellau, your screwed save for some straits suitable to overtake.

If there were a North-South motorway/dual carriageway (a route has been identified already I believe that passes within a few miles of Aber), then the commute time to Llanelli/Swansea could be slashed to just over an hour. It'd open the doors to thousands of rugby mad people for the regions, particularly the Scarlets, Ospreys and any potential North Wales based region.

Still, never going to happen, and certainly not for rugby reasons.

It's not that they need a region up in Aberystwyth but more of the regions using their brains when it comes to times of games, play them in the evening so people have enough time to get to a game. Regions could look at fixture lists of clubs playing games around their area and entice them to come to the stadium to watch the game, its not that hard to do, pure lazyness on the part of the regions.

The regions were a mess when they were setup. The identity is one of the reasons why they are struggling. Funding was another. All things that were glossed over.

It's not that they need a region up in Aberystwyth but more of the regions using their brains when it comes to times of games, play them in the evening so people have enough time to get to a game. Regions could look at fixture lists of clubs playing games around their area and entice them to come to the stadium to watch the game, its not that hard to do, pure lazyness on the part of the regions.

The regions were a mess when they were setup. The identity is one of the reasons why they are struggling. Funding was another. All things that were glossed over.

How much say do the regions have in setting kick off times though? It's all down to the tv guys isn't it? Not saying it's right, but money talks, and tv deals are one of the easiest ways for leagues to generate cash.

I've viewed my thoughts about the set-up of the regions a few times before, and agree that it was poorly done. The WRU put forward a much better regional split originally, but the clubs voted against it; hence the mess we ended up with. Rivalries run deep though, as can be seen with Ponty, and they were and still are put ahead of the good of Welsh rugby. We're all capable of coming together and supporting team Wales though, go figure!

Anyway, getting back to the original topic; I'm not sure a probable v possibles match would tell us much. Two amalgamated teams half first choice, half second + some talented youngsters would be a better approach. How about teams like:

01 Gethin Jenkins - Rob Evans
02 Ken Owens - Scott Baldwin
03 Samson Lee - Dillon Lewis
04 Luke Charteris - Bradley Davies
05 Rory Thornton - Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Ross Moriarty - Dan Lydiate
07 Sam Warburton - Justin Tipuric
08 Dan Baker - Taulupe Faletau

09 Rhys Webb - Gareth Davies
10 Gareth Anscombe - Dan Biggar
11 Hallam Amos - Eli Walker
12 Jamie Roberts - Scott Williams
13 Tyler Morgan - Jon Davies
14 Tom James - George North
15 Leigh Halfpenny - Liam Williams

16 Christian Dacey - Elliot Dee
17 Paul James - Nicky Smith
18 Rhodri Jones - Aaron Jarvis
19 Jake Ball - Josh Turnbull
20 Ellis Jenkins - James Davies
21 Aled Davies - Lloyd Williams
22 Rhys Priestland - Rhys Patchell
23 Owen Watkin - Matthew Morgan

How much say do the regions have in setting kick off times though? It's all down to the tv guys isn't it? Not saying it's right, but money talks, and tv deals are one of the easiest ways for leagues to generate cash.

A lot of it, aye. I think TV is why there's always one Welsh game on a Sunday. Ulster are very fortunate in having an absolute commitment to Friday night... at least, Friday night for games Sky don't want.

Two amalgamated teams half first choice, half second + some talented youngsters would be a better approach. How about teams like:

01 Gethin Jenkins - Rob Evans
02 Ken Owens - Scott Baldwin
03 Samson Lee - Dillon Lewis
04 Luke Charteris - Bradley Davies
05 Rory Thornton - Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Ross Moriarty - Dan Lydiate
07 Sam Warburton - Justin Tipuric
08 Dan Baker - Taulupe Faletau

09 Rhys Webb - Gareth Davies
10 Gareth Anscombe - Dan Biggar
11 Hallam Amos - Eli Walker
12 Jamie Roberts - Scott Williams