• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone else getting bored by the Tri-Nations?

Tri-Nations Format

• Hell yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it's boring

• What's this Tri-Nations you're talking about

• Total voters
Yeah, it's boring. You can call me a NZer who is unhappy his team is getting beaten or whatever but that's not the real reason. South Africans clearly aren't into it either. I don't believe any of their home games have actually sold out. Basically, there is too much test rugby but this is how money is made so the amount of games will not decrease. I would push it back to playing each other twice in the Tri Nations, adding in Argentina and including a final. Then I would probably only play it once every two years. I think it would be more special and something to look foward to if it wasn't played year in and year out.

ELV's and last law changes encouraged kicking and SH were keen on ELV's :D The main reason why Tri-Nations could be seen as boring is All Blacks. They are not as competetive as we used to. So, New Zealand should come back to basis, change coach or reconsider option to select players who play club rugby in NH.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 12 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Aug 12 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 12 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kicking is boring.

there should be a rule that you can't immediately return a kick if you recieve a kick, unless you run 10 metres or you are tackled or it's a mark. hopefully this will stop the gay aerial ping pong that's being played at the moment[/b]

This isn't rugby bloody league, you can't just change the rules when you dont like the way teams are playing. It wont always be like this. SA can only play like they do because they have huge forward dominance at the moment. When they lose that, they will have to resort to the backs more. Anyway i reckon it's great that a team like SA can win by kicking and playing a structured game and a team like Australia can also win by playing more expansively.
[/b][/quote]

i didn't mention south africa, australia or rugby league in my post, and if you think "you can't just change the rules" well think again, they were changed not that long ago. there is way too much up and under kicking going on in today's game. if rugby could go back to what it was in the 1990's and early 2000's then it's a good thing regarldless of which teams were winning or losing. from what i remember there was a lot more quick ball at the rucks, a lot more running rugby and a lot more tries were scored. that's what's average joe in front of the TV at home or watching the game wants to see, not two teams taking it in turns to kick the ball as high as they can while trying to put the opposition off catching the ball cleanly.
[/b][/quote]

The slow rucking problem is -basicaly- down to the irb not being able to come up with concise instructions to the bloody ref. This time last year everyone was WTFing over the wistle being blown every 7 seconds because a prop couldn't stay on his feet in a ruck because the defensive team were too lazy to get to the ruck and the prop had nobody to put weight on. I've noticed during the last couiple of months the enforcement of that rule has become less stringent. What they need to be doing is refing hands in the ruck and lieing on the wrong side of the ball more quickly.

The tries being scored does come down to style and that will change from time to time. In the pacific nations cup, matches averaged over 7 tres per match. Whereas Six Nations and Tri Nations are giving us 3 tries a match. I won't put it all down to tighter defense because alot of it is down to the...

Annoying up and under obsession which kicked off (pardon the pun) I believe during the 2007 World Cup when Argentina managed to get to a semi-final via the up and unders of Juam Martin Hernandez being near perfect everytime and happening everytime he touched the ball. The next world cup will come and France or Australia or Wales or Portugal or something will gave a stormer of a tournie by playing expansive rugby and everyone will copy that.

I don't think the kicky thing will stick.

And to answer the original question which wasn't about the style of play bt about the format of the competition. I liked it when there was a home and an away match and now there's 3 matches a year and it's all a bit much. Bring the argies in and bring ti back to the home and away match basis. Or go absolutely mental and have Wales, France, Ireland or England or when/if they good again; Scotland do a tour during the start of the season. And When NZ are playing Aus, then lets say, France play SA, then when Aus start their tour of SA, then France play NZ, and the next weekend let NZ play SA and France have their last match against AUS and count those results in the table and France can f*** off on home. - But like I said, that's mental.

The Capetown game had a capacity 50 000 or so spectators so yeah, sold out.

I'm all for dropping the Tri Nations and getting Tours back, but I'm definitely not bored by the Tri Nations, I still get those awesome jitters watching the Boks take on the ABs and that satisfactory feeling of content when we beat the Wallabies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 12 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Aug 12 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 12 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Topics like this annoy me...[/b]

Stop reading them...
[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry, but did my post look to you like i bothered reading it? Baka. I merely came in to say that it annoys me.
[/b][/quote]

How did you notice his reply if you haven't been reading the thread....

I don't like continuity errors :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 12 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Aug 12 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 12 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Topics like this annoy me...[/b]

Stop reading them...
[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry, but did my post look to you like i bothered reading it? Baka. I merely came in to say that it annoys me.
[/b][/quote]

Speak Japanese ?

1. No, the matches themselves are not boring.

2. The format is awful. What they've done with making each side play each other 3 times is ridiculous. They're only doing it to generate revenue from having an extra sellout game.

3. The home and away format was obviously superior. Travelling around to Argentina to play one match per year really won't stretch the players too much. If they can travel to Hong Kong for a one off game then they can travel to South America. Argentina have to be admitted to the Tri-Nations, so teams will still have 6 games and they will all mean something.

4. The Far-East Bledisloe is a good idea still. Anything they can do to expand the game out there.

5. To me it seems the SH season is in a mess. You start off with the S14, then have all the NH teams over, then have a few weeks of domestic before a tri-nations that lasts 8 weeks, then more domestic till the end of the season when you go on tour in Europe.

So the highest level of club rugby is over halfway through the season. There's then June-August which is a constant stream of internationals. Then... nothing very much at all.

Why not play the Super 14 much more like the Heineken Cup - have blocks of 3 or 4 weekends when they play S14 games. This would fit in with the conference system. Then they could finish the S14 when the SH season finishes, which to me makes much more sense.

Also they should wack the Tri-Nations a little later on to make it separate from the June internationals. If it were a 4 nations then they could play it over 6 weeks starting in the last week of August.

plan?

I think -in stretching the torunement out- everything begins to get slightly repetitive. Wouldn't once each be enough, with perhaps a 'final' betwen the two highest-placed teams? Or something along those lines.

Mind you, my least favorite thing about the TN remains having to watch The Beast boaring in almost every week, just because I'd like to watch some Rugby Union. I know I seem to bang on about it constantly, but I won't stop 'till be stops.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 12 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Yes, The Tri-Nations is boring
2. Funny how people don't like a kicking game yet were in favour of the ELVs...[/b]

with respect to all,

again jealous that england underperform constantly in the 6 nations... the tri nations is alot more entertaining than the piece of **** england perform at home in twickenham. you nearly get beat by teams like italy which is awesome which is entertaining to see how such a "legendary" team comes up just short.

i dont see how the tri nations is boring when one looks at its own national team in a boring run tournament itself

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 12 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Yes, The Tri-Nations is boring
2. Funny how people don't like a kicking game yet were in favour of the ELVs...[/b]

with respect to all,

again jealous that england underperform constantly in the 6 nations...
[/b][/quote]

They don't underperform, the teams that finish ahead of them/beat them are just better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 12 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think -in stretching the torunement out- everything begins to get slightly repetitive. Wouldn't once each be enough, with perhaps a 'final' betwen the two highest-placed teams? Or something along those lines.

Mind you, my least favorite thing about the TN remains having to watch The Beast boaring in almost every week, just because I'd like to watch some Rugby Union. I know I seem to bang on about it constantly, but I won't stop 'till be stops.[/b]

article-0-057A67DA000005DC-280_468x587.jpg

I think 25 of your 50 posts have been dedicated to the BEAST!!!

Would be better if you played 2 home games and 2 away games, It's two dragged out and to be honest, the matches aren't of great quality, the Lions/SA matches were all way better than any of this years 3N games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 12 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
again jealous that england underperform constantly in the 6 nations... the tri nations is alot more entertaining than the piece of **** england perform at home in twickenham. you nearly get beat by teams like italy which is awesome which is entertaining to see how such a "legendary" team comes up just short.[/b]
We came second this year, if anything i'd say we did better than expected
I was thinking we'd end up 3rd

England, Wales and France all finished with the same amount of points (Miles behind Ireland I might add :p), It's hardly a great achievement.

YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.

England: NANANANANANA, you and your big fock off leage and you're still not winning that much!

Wales: ORANGEORANGEORANGEORANGE Henson's rubbish, you're coach needs to shut up. SuperRob is TEH BomB and is like 7048347 times better than Lee Byrne.

Scotland: All your backs are cack! I don't care if they're good or not they're still rubbish. NANANANANA.

France: Onions!

Italy: Sergio Parisse is the only good things about you.

IRELAND IRELAND IRELAND!

Cough.

and back on topic, I like Gingergenius's suggestions. Basically, needs to be a better organised season and bring in the argies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 12 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
YAY! 6 Nations banter! I've missed it so much. Far better than inter hemi-sphere bashing.

England: NANANANANANA, you and your big fock off leage and you're still not winning that much!

Wales: ORANGEORANGEORANGEORANGE Henson's rubbish, you're coach needs to shut up. SuperRob is TEH BomB and is like 7048347 times better than Lee Byrne.

Scotland: All your backs are cack! I don't care if they're good or not they're still rubbish. NANANANANA.

France: Onions!

Italy: Sergio Parisse is the only good things about you.

IRELAND IRELAND IRELAND!

Cough.

and back on topic, I like Gingergenius's suggestions. Basically, needs to be a better organised season and bring in the argies.[/b]

You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called Ah-thoor Keeng, you and all your silly English K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-****its! [makes taunting gestures at them]
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :rahh: