• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are you a light forward??

Thats about what I said? Ofcourse you gain size if you gain strenght and Rippetoe is a great starters scheme, I was just giving a simple example of rep ranges. For more strenght or more growth orientated.

I'm 6'3 and currently seem to hover around 76-79 kg (12st - 12st 6lbs) and play flanker. I'm half Chinese which contributes to me finding it difficult to put on muscle (or any) mass at all, although I've definitely improved since my first year at Uni where I was playing at 10st 10 (68kg). I've managed to survive and, in the last couple of years, managed to be a reasonably useful player. Two things: you can be slim and strong...obviously there's a compromise, but when I played American Football one of our cornerbacks played at under 11 stone but had an incredible size-to-strength ratio. Just because you're not huge doesn't mean you can't be strong.

It also comes down to what sort of role you can carve out in the team. Being lighter = being more mobile which is always valuable. I also manage to get lower than my opponent in almost every case, which is really handy in goal line defence and stuff. Then there's also stuff like lineout jumping - you can usually get up more quickly than your opponents if you can perfect the timing bit. Ultimately, you can offer a different skillset and still be a good contributor to the team.

Thanks for all the feedback guys..

@Ranger. where there is a big forward running straight at you, how do you create that angle? Wud you get into tackle position (get low) and then take a step left (or right) and then "Spring" off that leg?

never heard of "Rippetoe" but just googled it there. Is it worth it to go out and buy the book? I was just goin to set out my own routine..

Also I have just started to to put more protein into my diet, eggs in the mornin and tuna for lunch (as well as my usual big dinner).
I'd prefer not to use protein shakes etc. Has any1 here ever bulked up without the shakes ect?

Not worth buying it, imo, as all the info is available online on forums etc.

The basics of it are:

There are two workouts (A & B ), and you work out three days a week, so for example:
Monday Week 1 - A
Wednesday - B
Friday - A
Monday Week 2 - B
etc.

The workouts are:
[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]A[/TD]
[TD]B[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Squat 3x5[/TD]
[TD]Squat 3x5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bench Press 3x5[/TD]
[TD]Overhead Press 3x5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Deadlift 1x5[/TD]
[TD]Powerclean 5x3[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

It's a very very simple workout to follow, and yields good results in beginners - contains a lot of compound movements (Squat, Deadlift, Clean) which are very useful for rugby

There's another tried and tested beginners lifting routine (which I started on) called "Stronglifts 5x5" - pretty much exactly the same (A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B etc.) but the workouts are slightly different:
[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]A[/TD]
[TD]B[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Squats 5x5[/TD]
[TD]Squats 5x5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bench Press 5x5[/TD]
[TD]Over Head Press 5x5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bentover Row 5x5[/TD]
[TD]Deadlift 1x5[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

You're supposed to start with a very low weight (they recommend just the bar) and add 2.5kg each session - builds your strength up quickly, while teaching you the movements with a low weight so you get the form right
I'd recommend downloading the free eBook and reading it even if you decide not to do the routine, it's got a lot of solid information in there that's useful to anyone looking to go to the gym
You can get the eBook here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/StrongLifts/stronglifts-5x5-report.pdf

Protein shakes aren't necessary if you're getting enough protein from your diet - they're "supplements" to supplement your normal food
Eat a load of eggs, tuna, chicken, fish etc.etc. and you'll be fine

@Thingimubob
my Kicking wud be good, but dont think Id be suited to 15, for a tall guy Im not slow, but wud need more pace for 15, also I have been carring a lower back injury for the last 11 months which prevents me from side stepping effectively, can still run good straight lines tho..

Centre would be tidy for you then, definitely have a go at the back row though, I felt a bit out of my depth when I first players there but got to enjoy it in the end. There's something fun about hitting the rucks and taking the ball up. Getting lifted in the lineout is fun too :p

never heard of "Rippetoe" but just googled it there. Is it worth it to go out and buy the book? I was just goin to set out my own routine..

Also I have just started to to put more protein into my diet, eggs in the mornin and tuna for lunch (as well as my usual big dinner).
I'd prefer not to use protein shakes etc. Has any1 here ever bulked up without the shakes ect?

Remember, supplements/shakes are just food! I take 3 shakes a day and my mates ask me things like "does it work?" Well it's food in powder form so yes it works, it provides me with protein, creatine and glutamine that can be found in many various foods, it is just more convenient to slam down a shake instead of spending an hour preparing a meal.

Cheers Olly,

I started doing 3 sets of 10, but will try the 5x5 and up the weight and see how I get on

Will see how I get on without the shakes for the moment and will have a look at them again down the line if I need to..

Ya I have a feeling that flanker wud be more enjoyable alrite once ya get into it!

Cheers Olly,

I started doing 3 sets of 10, but will try the 5x5 and up the weight and see how I get on

Will see how I get on without the shakes for the moment and will have a look at them again down the line if I need to..

Ya I have a feeling that flanker wud be more enjoyable alrite once ya get into it!

My mate goes to his Uni Gym and a Pro Rugby team use it sometimes as well. I went up with him to be nosey and the Pro's just did all the main compound movements. Squat, Dead Lift, Bench Press, OHP, Dips, Pull Ups, T-Bar Row.

6' 13.5 stone, normally lightest forward on the pitch but also try and be the fittest, jump at 2 in the line out and normally play openside but also have played 2nd row. Love it when some big lumbering 2nd row/no8 come charging at me expecting to knock me flying then wondering a few seconds later when they have not only been tackled but also lost the ball.

Dont worry about size, worry about fitness and work rate.

6' 13.5 stone, normally lightest forward on the pitch but also try and be the fittest, jump at 2 in the line out and normally play openside but also have played 2nd row. Love it when some big lumbering 2nd row/no8 come charging at me expecting to knock me flying then wondering a few seconds later when they have not only been tackled but also lost the ball.

Dont worry about size, worry about fitness and work rate.

I agree.

I agree with that to. Not only will fitness put you ahead of other players especially with your smaller frame, but it will also help prevent injuries when you're being bullied physically!

I too was often the smallest guys after the scrum-half and I was an openside flank. What got me through it and made me excel, was technique and controlled aggression.
You gotta do everything aggressively! Not frothing at the mouth aggressive but like, if you gonna do something, do it f***ing hard.

I agree with that to. Not only will fitness put you ahead of other players especially with your smaller frame, but it will also help prevent injuries when you're being bullied physically!

I too was often the smallest guys after the scrum-half and I was an openside flank. What got me through it and made me excel, was technique and controlled aggression.
You gotta do everything aggressively! Not frothing at the mouth aggressive but like, if you gonna do something, do it f***ing hard.

F**k yeah! size means nothing when you play openside look at the likes of Brussow, Smith and my hero Back were all under the 6'2"mark with back being about 5'10, you can do the the big weights low rep stuff but its just more weight to drag around, work on your cardo, core and if you do weights do them to condition you body not bulk it up. If you have a light frame it could knacker your joints.

If you aren't gaining weight and your trying to you aren't eating enough lol.
Everyone on this planet, with the correct diet can gain weight and it doesn't have to be fat either.

I hear heaps of people telling me they can't gain weight and they talk about the big meals they eat etc
One big meal a day wont make everyone put on weight, you have to be consistent and it pays to have a good macro's balance to build quality mass.

If you eat say 4000 calories (250-300g protein 500g carbs and 150g fat) every day you would probably gain a bit of good mass at your size.
If that doesn't work increase the carbs and some extra good fats like olive oil, nuts etc and you will get there.

Size isn't the be all and end all, but it sure does help. You have to be much tougher when your small.

Smith, Brussow and Back aren't that small, Smith and Brussow would weigh 100kg + and Back would have been atleast 95kgs in his prime which is comparable to many players of the 90's and early 2000's. They are/were short but still very solid and strong.

I am goin to take up rugby this season, thinkin of playin in the forwards, either as a 6 or 7 (dont fancy 2nd row) But Im a bit on the light side for my heigh
Im 6' 4" but only 85kg

might just start in the backs till i get up to speed with the game tho.. play a lot of tag and have a great read for the game, decent pace, and set up lots of trys so might go for 12 or on the wings.

So to all the light forwards out there what height and weight are you? and what position do you play?

If your a (Light) back feel free to add you weight height and position aswell..

How old are you?

are you an adult or still a teenager?

when I was 16 i was light at 68 kilos at around 5ft 9 but I still played loose forward as well as in the backs. By the time I was 18 i was 103 kg at about 5.10 5.11. It was funny when i was 16 the coach at first didnt want to play me in the loose forwards, your a good size for halfhack he said. Then when I showed up to start my senior year, he half jokingly said, hey you can play prop now.

I'm an adult, have been the same weight for the last 10 years or so, Dont count calleries, but in an average day I'm eating the following:

Breakfast: 2 BOILED EGGS, 2 x125g pots of yogurt and a bannana.

Lunch: 2 sandwiches: usually ham,cheese and tomotoe, (am going to replace the ham with chicken or tuna tho) 1 bananna, and chocolate.

Dinner: 2/3 chicken breasts, veg, 250g of pasta.

supper: couple bowls of cereal (usualy cornflakes)

I'd imagine that would be a decent amount of callories?? Altho I think I might replace my supper with some protien of some kind..

I'm 5'7 and 84 Kg, i play outside centre but want to start playing at 6! I love tackling one of my best attributes.

When I was playing at 8, I was 67 kg's and 175 cm tall. Had no problems at all. But then again, Holland is not that renowned for it's level of rugby ;)

When I was playing at 8, I was 67 kg's and 175 cm tall. Had no problems at all. But then again, Holland is not that renowned for it's level of rugby ;)

What agegrade? And the 'Ereklasse' isn't awfull (not good though:p), comparable to Englands Division 1 (the dutch top teams then, Dukes/Hilversum).

Latest posts