• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina must join Tri Nations

P

Paul Overt

World rugby union's senior administrator has called for Argentina to join an expanded southern hemispere Tri-Nations tournament, saying the Pumas couldn't be "neglected" any longer.

The Pumas have been the darlings of the World Cup where last Sunday's 19-13 win over Scotland saw them into the semi-finals of rugby's global showpiece for the first time where they will face South Africa in Paris this Sunday.

Argentina's rise, which has also seen them climb to fourth in the world rankings, has been all the more impressive as they do not currently participate in a major annual competition such as the northern hemisphere's Six Nations or the Tri-Nations involving South Africa, New Zealand and Australia (SANZAR).

However, International Rugby Board (IRB) chairman Dr Syd Millar said here today that Argentina were close to being admitted to the Tri-Nations.

"I think that SANZAR are now seriously considering it, and after their performances in the Rugby World Cup, you can't neglect them," said Millar.

Argentina must join tri Nation

Well, This would be the wisest thing to do from my point of view. But would they cope with the opposition (Australia, NZ, SA?). Ok, they may have got further than the All Blacks and Wallabies but I'd have feelings if they do join, they'd be bottom.

Well, This would be the wisest thing to do from my point of view. But would they cope with the opposition (Australia, NZ, SA?). Ok, they may have got further than the All Blacks and Wallabies but I'd have feelings if they do join, they'd be bottom.
[/b]

I think they will cope with playing all 3 of us. Not to mention the huge benefits it would mean in the long run. Look at their recent results against all tri nations teams, they are now as close as 5 points virtually every match and would be a very respected outfit in this competition.

I hope like hell this happens, I love the way The Pumas play and would be great to watch them regularly every year.

Your assuming that Argentina would be playing the same team that they are now. How many of those players would be released by their clubs to go play tri-nations rugby? I'd say about ................. eh ................ none.

They are professional players so they aint going to just get up and walk away from their livelyhoods.

They wont be competitive at first, (neither will the PI's) but they sure as hell could be in 3-4 years.

Another question, will SANZAR now become SANZARAPI? or will the same big three nations retain control of all SH rugby?

it's good for argentine rugby as they currently not participating any annual international competition...
and i think almost all of the players will be released by their clubs to go for the tournament as other clubs in the world release their players for any annual international competition..

That'll be the best idea in ages bringin the Puma's into the Tri Nations cause to be honest its kinda gettin a bit boring just playing against the same 2 teams every year.

Be good for the Argies too imagine how good they'll be if they were in a comp like the Tri Nations it'll be awesome to see new players too.

IRB need to take a serious look at it because the Argies a playing a really good brand of rugby right now and they need to be recognized for this.

Your assuming that Argentina would be playing the same team that they are now. How many of those players would be released by their clubs to go play tri-nations rugby? I'd say about ................. eh ................ none.

They are professional players so they aint going to just get up and walk away from their livelyhoods.

They wont be competitive at first, (neither will the PI's) but they sure as hell could be in 3-4 years.

Another question, will SANZAR now become SANZARAPI? or will the same big three nations retain control of all SH rugby?
[/b]

Ahhhh, how won't they be competitive now? Are they not in the RWC semi final going in with a huge chance to win overall? Of course they will be competitive. If you mean they won't be due to none of their top players, then no, they will get hammered. An international season has to be put into place for this to work.

[/b]
Africans football players leaves European competition during the CAN (NAC, ANC?).
Where is the problem?

[/b]

Well I may not be 100% correct on this but as far as I'm aware the Tri Nations falls within an international window of the IRB, so this doesn't allow the clubs to block Argentine players participating in any future four nations competition.

well if some of the players aren't released for the 3N, i think it would be a good opportunity to develop the up and coming talent. although there might be some issues with blokes who keep whingeing about second and third rate teams.

[/b]

Listen Hieu, first of all I don't think they will start a season (of the hypothetical 4N) without at least one win over an actual 3N team. Their position right now is much better than the one of Italians when they joined the 5N to make 6N.
Pumas are not performing well in this world cup only. This is not just beginners luck. They are performing very well in the last 4 years. You can tell since their ranking (I agree, this is not the most accurate way of measuring the level of a team) is among the best 10 since at least years ago.

Their defeats by 3N teams were very close, they beaten England in their beloved stadium, France the las 5 over 6 games and the only game they lost it was by one point. They defeated Ireland several times, and Ire knocked down Arg from the last world cup by 1 point (not 15). Scotland does not defeat Arg since 1990.
Do you need more evidence?

For those who talk about the flying distances, is shorter a flight Arg-NZ per example, than SA-NZ since Arg flights go over the south pole.

Please go and read something about rugby before posting. No offenses.

They defeted ireland several times? Uh.. once in a world cup in 1999 and then 2007, otherwise playing against Ireland 2nd rate players isnt realy worthy of putting down as a victory. I think its only about 4 or 5 maby?

Yeah I Think Argentina Have to Be in the Tri-Nations because they play very well and they play enthusiatic in every match they play!!!!

FOUR-NATIONS!!!! xddd :cheers: :cheers:

I'd say give them a fair shot, let them play against each of the three Tri-Nations countries twice, and see how they fare? I mean, why not? If they deserve it, then it will add more depth to the Tri-Nations.

ON THE OTHER HAND! Hehe, always gotta have another side to the argument. People (not necessarily me, although I do see Prestwick telling me to own up again, lol) might have a major problem with this, because of the whole "tradition" thing. The Tri-Nations and its members: South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia became household names in the SH for this specific reason. Personally, I don't have a problem with bringing Argentina on board, but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of opposition.

They defeted ireland several times? Uh.. once in a world cup in 1999 and then 2007, otherwise playing against Ireland 2nd rate players isnt realy worthy of putting down as a victory. I think its only about 4 or 5 maby?
[/b]

Argentina won over Ireland in this games, with seconds or thirds argentine squads.

it thinl they join the tri -nations. It would be better for us and for rugby generaly

[/b]

It doesn't matter what you said. Even if they have beaten them once. Did the Italians beat Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales before joining the 5N????

Eh? I can not hear you!!!

Regarding the topic of this forum: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/new...+argentina+want

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

It doesn't matter what you said. Even if they have beaten them once. Did the Italians beat Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales before joining the 5N????

Eh? I can not hear you!!!

Regarding the topic of this forum: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/new...+argentina+want
[/b][/quote]

I forgot France, sorry :cheers:

How is this for pathetic. I think one of the asll blacks (Kelleher maybe) said they shouldn't be in as there will be too much travelling involved and the players get homesick!! For christs sake - it's ya bloody job. Think the ABs get softer every year - and I'm a kiwi!!!!

If your gonna do that, I'm sure that the pacific islanders should get included as well. They played some bloody good rugby this year, and are so exciting to watch. It ****** me off that we have to wait every four years to really watch them again. They need regular tests to build and progress further in the rugby world.

how long is a flight from argentina to southafrica?

this might make for some crazy long flights!
i dont think it would happen