• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina

R

RoyalBlueStuey

The thing I love about this current team is their quiet dignity (despite being cast adrift and written off by the powers that by). I clearly remember how fantastically they aquitted themselves after the win at Twickenham...this win at the weekend is just more of the same. It was awesome to see them playing out of their skins on Friday. Everyone was talking about it when I was watching the footy the next day. Brilliant stuff from them.

If the IRB can't find them a home now then they may as well just pack up and disband and leave it just to SANZAR and the 6 Nations to run the game.

I think that just by looking at the latest world ranking (produced by themselves) the IRB should be able to find Argentina a place in a regular competition.

What Argentina have acheived in my eyes makes them the greatest side in the game. They may not win the world cup but to overcome such adversity is a feat that shouldn't be forgotten. Yes alot of their players play in France, UK etc. but the lack of a meaningful competition and regular top level fixtures is a difficult thing to overcome. Furthermore factor in how much they will have spent compared to England, NZ, SA, France, Wales etc. and the acheivement really does scale up. Just look at Samoa, and even more obviously, Tonga to see what lack of finances and competition can do.

But whats best about Argentina is the unassuming role they take. They go out there every game, play to their hearts content and then finish every game looking like they thoroughly enjoyed. It is a massive breath of fresh air to not have the pre-match politics - no excuses, no trying to influence the ref, no speaking up of their game. They just go out their and do their job. They are playing rugby in the true spirit of the game and should only be commended for doing so.

Some meaningful tournament must now be inevitably on the way (from a selfish point of view I'd love to see them up here in the 6N, I always enjoy watching them).

I think that just by looking at the latest world ranking (produced by themselves) the IRB should be able to find Argentina a place in a regular competition. [/b]

If they can't then it's a farce. They can go on about playing in Madrid but how is that going to attract the crowds? It'd add great balance to the tri-nations methinks.

Anyway, whatever happens Che Guevara would but proud of Pichot and the boys.

Okay so how is the Four-Nations or Makey-Uppy Super 20 actually going to work? You think any of the NH teams (where everyone including the cream of the SH play their rugby) are going to release their players for international duty?
Are we suddenly going to expect the Argentinian Union to launch four professional teams, bring all the talent home with promises of huge salaries, above and beyond the NH clubs, and get the other unions to agree to send their franchises there for home and away matches?
Argentina is a long way away and the SH unions are not in the slightest interest in sharing the money with them. Its not a market they see any financial gain in, so they wont bother.

Dont get me wrong, i think it would be a disaster if they let this opportunity slip, but I dont see them doing anything.

Are we suddenly going to expect the Argentinian Union to launch four professional teams, bring all the talent home with promises of huge salaries, above and beyond the NH clubs, and get the other unions to agree to send their franchises there for home and away matches?[/b]

That's clearly impossible but what I've heard so far was about one (or two at the most) argentinean teams. That could be accomplished by hiring some of the top guys, some of the middle and young guys from the local league (like Agulla who played against France just for example). Sometime after if that happens not every player will want to go to Europe ... and we could have at least two competitive teams.

Well clearly that`s the way to go. Contract maybe 1 or 2 of their star players to the domestic sides in the S20, and build from within using your locally-based players. Build up from the age-group levels upwards. It`s the SH way, something that some club supporters from up north just can`t seem to get.

For some or other reason, because of their superb structures below the top level, you won`t see NZ sides struggling in the S14/20 or whatever, because of the fact that talent gets developed. I can`t see why the Argies can`t do exactly the same. And, if they had a regular slot in an expanded SH 4-nations, something that they richly deserve, well if the games fall within the IRB international window, the NH clubs will have to release their top Argies, in turn decreasing their market value to the top northern clubs too.

I don´t think the club´s situation in here could be changed nowadays. Clubs are amateurs, and most of them have a huge tradition, so creating a professional league in here with few new clubs seems impossible. I honestly have no idea of how to get the Pumas a competition, but my dream is Pumas to play the 3N. Getting to play an official game against the All Blacks, Wallabies and Springbocks at River Plate´s Stadium would be incredible! We would struggle away, but at home I´m sure we could give some great performances.

Surely Argentina could just convert the current Amateur league into a professional league, much like what they've done in Italy and Japan. That way, nobody from the older era loses out.

Well if Italy can do it on a shoestring I'm sure Argentina could.

Another idea would be to join up with two other nations like Uraguay and Chile and create a pointless, irrelevent and wholy uncompetetive league competition with no trophy, cup competition or prizes whatsoever!

But is there the financial support available to carry off such an initiative?
[/b]

After a good RWC? I'm pretty sure we could create a team mixing quality, rear (both pro) and young players (amateurs).

Yes but I thought the money being distributed to the various Unions was already decided, something like â'¬12million for the top unions with I think Argentina and Italy only getting â'¬7.5 million so not sure how much a good performance can help things, unless it gets some wealthy businessmen together and they fork out the money to back some teams.

Yes but I thought the money being distributed to the various Unions was already decided, something like â'¬12million for the top unions with I think Argentina and Italy only getting â'¬7.5 million so not sure how much a good performance can help things, unless it gets some wealthy businessmen together and they fork out the money to back some teams.
[/b]

Yes, I think sponsors are a must.

Another idea would be to join up with two other nations like Uraguay and Chile and create a pointless, irrelevent and wholy uncompetetive league competition with no trophy, cup competition or prizes whatsoever! [/b]
Well it made me laugh.

<div class='quotemain'> Another idea would be to join up with two other nations like Uraguay and Chile and create a pointless, irrelevent and wholy uncompetetive league competition with no trophy, cup competition or prizes whatsoever! [/b]
Well it made me laugh. [/b][/quote]

They could just do what TheEastTerrace suggested and have them competing in a tournament called "The One Nations".

Seriously though if they have them in the 6 nations then they've got to play their game in Argentina...how difficult would it be? Just have everyone playing early in Buenos Aires and it'd be a late game for the rest of us to watch on TV. You could get tonnes of sponsorship from an Airline off the back of it. THe Madrid idea is a none-starter for me.

argentina have been playing a southamerican tournament for 50 years or so

we always send a 3rd level team and in all these years we won every game we played

Argentina should play the 6 nations and use as a home stadium Madrid where many French or UK citizens will be happy to go to and follow their teams; and there are lots of expats living and my cheer for the Pumas. But must definetly have competition in the big leagues. They will certainly beat Italy in every tournament; and might even upset any other of the old 5.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Another idea would be to join up with two other nations like Uraguay and Chile and create a pointless, irrelevent and wholy uncompetetive league competition with no trophy, cup competition or prizes whatsoever! [/b]
Well it made me laugh. [/b][/quote]

They could just do what TheEastTerrace suggested and have them competing in a tournament called "The One Nations".

Seriously though if they have them in the 6 nations then they've got to play their game in Argentina...how difficult would it be? Just have everyone playing early in Buenos Aires and it'd be a late game for the rest of us to watch on TV. You could get tonnes of sponsorship from an Airline off the back of it. THe Madrid idea is a none-starter for me.
[/b][/quote]

Another possibility would be to the the American 4N with Canada, USA, Uruguay and Argentina. Those teems can grow at a much better level with a regular tournament. Canada and USA are not doing ban at all. And Uruguay is a small Argentina and rugby is as important for them as it is in Arg, but they are less people.

Of course the best would be Arg in the 3N, for sure.

Argentina, have play the 6 nations at home in spain !!!!!

The other teams in america (usa-canada-urugay) are inferior in level to play against Argentina in a tournament