• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentinian Rugby

Jeepers! Have never seen anything like that ever!!

Hi Everybody,
Let’s try to bring this thread alive.
Last weekend the pool stage of the Clubs National Championship came to an end, and next week it’s starting the knock-out stage.

QF Schedule â€" May 7th:
Tala RC vs. CRAI
Newman vs. CUBA
Belgrano AC vs. Atlético del Rosario
Hindú vs. Tucumán RC

Any predictions for these games?

I hope neither Newman,Cuba or Hindu win. I hate them all for different reasons haha.

Does this get televised in Argentina? Also is this an equivalent to the Currie Cup or ITM Cup, or something more like this tournament, which is a tournament for the best 'local clubs' in the country:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SARU_Gold_Cup

yes it get´s televised on cable. i´m not shure about this, cos i don`t know much of the currie cup! it more like your second example. they are now playng the final games
and the clubs are from different regions arround arg
Hindu from buenos aires as well as belgrano and newman.
tala rc from cordoba
atletico rosario from rosario city and c.r.ai from santa fe (both santa fe provice)
and tucuman rugby from tucuman.

@FNS, you have too much hate to share!!
By the way, neither I have a prefered team to get the championship. I only hope that one no-URBA team reaches the final.

Last edited by a moderator:
@saulan, our equivalent to the Currie or ITM Cup is the "Campeonato Argentino de Uniones" (Unions' Argentine Championship), that's play at the end of the year.
This Clubs National Championship ("Nacional de clubes"), it's like you SARU Gold cup but also including the Varsity teams.

As last year, after the QF results the knock-out stage is heavily dominated by URBA clubs:

QF Results:
Tala 53-7 CRAI
Hindú 32-27 Tucumán Rugby
Belgrano Athletic 25-22 Atlético del Rosario
Newman 19-22 CUBA

SEMI FINALS (Sunday May 15)
Tala (Córdoba) v Hindú (Buenos Aires)
CUBA (Buenos Aires) v Belgrano Athletic (Buenos Aires)

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/05/08/old-christians/

Last edited:
@FNS, you have too much hate to share!!

Oh yes, but Newman and Hindu just for the sake of hating. Cuba in the other hand dont allow woman to became affiliated to the club unless they are someone daughters/wife(at least till a few years it was like this) also they always against professional rugby boicoting everything.

Well, Cuba does indeed take it to another level, but it's hardly the only club that discriminates (in the bad sense of the word) who can join and who cannot. Newman comes to mind.

And regarding being against professional rugby, i disagree with them, but i see their point of view and actually respect it. I find it naive and unrealistic, but i honestly wish their view was true.

I hoping to see one day 2 separate tournaments. One with pladar players and another with out one.

As @Cruz_del_Sur said, the opposition against professional rugby is an opinion that I don't share but should be respected.

On the other hand, the discrimination you are describing from CUBA and Newman is plain stupidity and UAR/URBA should find a way to avoid it.

- - - Updated - - -

I hoping to see one day 2 separate tournaments. One with pladar players and another with out one.

I think that is not going to happen in the near future.
However, I think that in 4+ years the Campeonato Argentino will officiate as a semi-Pro tournament including the pladar players.

Argentina rugby has been on the news for two kicks to the head in the last 2 months and now this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLZAdio-U1s

I'm lost for words.

BTW, the guy who delivered that kick in post #38 has been banned from the game, true, but he is now working for URBA (Buenos Aires' Rugby Union). He is teaching inmates how to play rugby. I am not kidding. The guy who lost the plot in the middle of a game about a month ago is now teaching criminals how to play the sport. You cannot make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Ahhh Classic all vs all =P. The union should suspend both teams from playing for 2/3 weeks that will teach them.

About the jail guy. It´s not necessary a bad thing. Like he knows he ****ed up and know tries to teach others as a redemption. Everyone deserves a second chance, even the inmates so..

About the jail guy. It´s not necessary a bad thing. Like he knows he ****ed up and know tries to teach others as a redemption. Everyone deserves a second chance, even the inmates so..
Maybe i wasn't clear. I'm all about second chances. My point is that i've seen no evidence about him being qualified to teach, let alone to inmates.

The logic appears to be "he is violent and can't play anymore as a consequence of that" therefore "he can teach about loss, violence and consequences to inmates".

Maybe the limitation of only having players from the Jaguares is only for the 15 man team and not the sevens team?

Maybe ... It's one of several options. But, I didn't hear anything like that when the selection policy was informed.
That's why I was asking for UAR declarations, or something like that.

HAHA they change it probably cause they know they need them. Probably this will be the excuse to put him on 15 YEY

HAHA they change it probably cause they know they need them. Probably this will be the excuse to put him on 15 YEY

Yep, that's another option.

- - - Updated - - -

Nacional de Clubes 2016 (Clubs National Championship)
One more time, 2 clubs from Buenos Aires face each other in the final.

SEMI-FINALS Results:
Tala (Córdoba) 19-21 Hindú (Buenos Aires)
CUBA (Buenos Aires) 14-33 Belgrano Athletic (Buenos Aires)​

FINAL (Saturday May 21)
Belgrano Athletic (Buenos Aires) v Hindú (Buenos Aires)

Latest posts