• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentinian Rugby

Viste el try que se comio Bert? No entiendo, te juro que no lo entiendo. Era el unico lugar que tenia que cubrir (si Smith amaga y se va para adentro tiene a todos los 3/4s en frente). Solo tenia que cubrir entre su posicion los fwds, 1 metro. UN METRO!!!! Y sabe que Smith es de mandarse, o deberia saberlo. Y aun sabiendo todo eso se comio el amague.
No cambia en nada el resultado final, pero me rompen las pelotas las cosas asi. Y otra, yo se que Boffelli con la pelota en mano es bueno, pero defendiendo es un desastre, da lastima. Debe tener el 50% de sus partidos como FB y debe tener 1, maximo 2 tackles salvadores en toda su carrera. Jugas contra los ABs, tienen 2 wines fuertes, y pones un win que no tacklea...

El resto, si hay cosas que no salen, o si el rival es mejor, y... son cosas que pasan. Pero me da bronca regalar espacios y oportunidades desde la formacion. Me acuerdo como si fuese ayer: contra gales, 1er tiempo. 35 tackles hechos, 14 pifeados. No te digo contra una Francia/Sudafrica/NZ en un dia inspirado. Contra Gales. Si pifeas el 30% de los tackles necesitas un pequeño milagro para ganar partidos contra Tier 1.

Y otra. Salvando el partido contra Japon, Mateo carreras no paro de hacer knock ons. No exagero. Le pone voluntad defendiendo, tiene cintura y es rapido, pero tiene manteca en las manos. 20 veces se le cayo la pelota. Sos wing, no te llegan TANTAS. Si no las cuidas no sirve.

Y sueno critico, quizas, pero lo que menciono son cosas basicas. No pifear muchos tackles, no hacer boludeces y que no se te caiga la pelota. No estoy hablando de confundirse en una jugada preparada de 5 fases.

Pero es que son cosas que no pueden pasar.
Yo estoy dudando del ciclo que se viene. No podés ganar con errores de este tipo. Gonzalo ya no debería jugar para los pumas, perdón que lo diga. Me da pena tener razón porque tuvo años muy buenos en jaguares, pero ya pasaron. Es lento, es malo, no defiende y tampoco aporta mucho. Momento de cambiar.
A mi mateo me parece óptimo, pero este tipo de fallos que tiene son desesperantes si.
Bofelli es malo en defensa pero al menos soluciona en ataque, y desde que perdimos a tucu es nuestro finalizador máximo, nos falta alguien tipo bautista delguy o alguien así que este año se cayó de la lista.
Yo en general encuentro que nos faltan prospectos y es que el covid nos ha hecho mucho daño, necesitamos jaguares de vuelta porque esta vez tuvimos suerte con el sorteo nomás.
Y con respecto a cheika, mis sentimientos están encontrados. Es un buen entrenador, pero el partido de ayer se podría haber perdido con márgenes más dignos si hubiera puesto al tute y a cubo de starters, incluso con la defensa del segundo en mente.
Vamos a ver si por lo menos quedamos terceros

Bueno, ahora que ya pasó lo peor. ¿Alguien quiere valorar el ciclo Cheika? ¿Alguien quiere poner nuestros mejores prospectos para ilusionarnos?

I cannot say anything I have seen from Argentina this year has made me at all positive about Contempomi's input as attack coach and he is guaranteed to replace Cheika after this match? On what basis? Such a pity Quesada ended up in Italy.

I cannot say anything I have seen from Argentina this year has made me at all positive about Contempomi's input as attack coach and he is guaranteed to replace Cheika after this match? On what basis? Such a pity Quesada ended up in Italy.

Yeah, none of us is really happy about it either

Quesada's loss is massive, I also agree with you, if anything for his season coaching Jaguares

my honest opinion:

this is a transitional period, and the UAR is acting accordingly
our big bet was in 2019, with Matera, Cordero and Sanchez getting there with full potential and all that, Jaguares' backing up and the SR final, but that turned super ugly due to mismanagment by the UAR by making Ledesma HC and weak leadership (Matera's blown up and social pressure to put him aside)

Now comes hard times for argentinean rugby: we have some interesting prospects (Rubiolo is 20, literally) but truth is COVID had a huge impact on the intermediate generation (1995-98) and we don't have the backroom to field a team competent enough to compete in RC. To be honest, I'm curious as to which team we can field in a year, even if we persevere with Santi Carreras.

I personally don't like Felipe ATM, but it is true that he depends on Cheika.
I know him a bit and know how he is, this is what he said last week:

"This match means that we were within the best 4 in this tournament. not the best in the world, we are there and we deserve to be there, but we're not better than the rest of the teams within the top 6"

I personally think Felipe is a realist: and I don't think Mike Cheika is; Felipe is ready to accept that we got lucky and we need to make some changes, Cheika is not. I think Felipe, for many reasons, could be the kind of coach who doesn't pitch his players agains the referees (I was ashamed to see all of our players talk to the reff so much) , or the torunament, or anything othe than himseld, mostly because I've seen him be like that since I was 12 and he was playing in England. Maybe it should be Juan Fernández Lobbe in 8 years and not him, but for now we need someone.

What we really need is to fill that void we have, honestly, it is huge. We field 20-23 year olds and 34 year olds in key positions like it's nothing

I agree a LOT with the above. I always have the feeling Cheika has this plan in his mind and if he doesn't have the players to pull it off well, there's this little voice in his head that goes: '**** it, we'll do it anyway'. That is mental imo. Don't get me wrong, when it works it's entertaining but it seldom does (against T1 op). Quesada's approach is (or at least was) much simpler: we minimize unforced errors and try to play to our strengths or our opponent's weaknesses.

I like Cheika but he is not the coach we need.

Yeah that's another thing: perseverence on obvious mistakes, despite everyone noticing them

However, this is a good moment to try and asess his era:

-I do think, overall, that it has been positive, in the end, we needed someone to close the gap before the WC and he did that with some good rugby last year and by pushing through an easy draw in the WC
-I do think that once his ideas run its course, he doesn't manage to evolve his vision, he doesn't progress
-I don't know how he manages the group, but for the life of me I can't fathom why some players seem to have their jersey guaranteed, even if they play awfully

Last edited:
I've got mixed feelings, to be honest. I think his tenure achieved decent results, granted, but I just think those results are seriously embellished by the WC draw. Bit of a hallo-captain-obvious statement, i know.
I ask myself this: if 2019 pumas were to face 2023 pumas, am I confident enough to assert the latter would come on top? I am not. One reached the semis and the other couldn't make it past the group stage.

I am not sure how to put it into words, to be honest. I think the best way would be: when the pumas play, I consistently fail to understand what they are trying to do. I really have no idea what their game plan is about. This has nothing to do with results. Jaguares 2016 had an appalling season, they failed to execute their plan again, and again, and again. But everyone understood what their plan was about, and they had the tools to pull it off. Those tools were just not sharp enough.

Hard to prove conclusively but i honestly believe 2019 was a pivotal year for us and we blew it. We managed to destroy a 4-year plan with just a handful of very poor decisions.

I've got mixed feelings, to be honest. I think his tenure achieved decent results, granted, but I just think those results are seriously embellished by the WC draw. Bit of a hallo-captain-obvious statement, i know.
I ask myself this: if 2019 pumas were to face 2023 pumas, am I confident enough to assert the latter would come on top? I am not. One reached the semis and the other couldn't make it past the group stage.

I am not sure how to put it into words, to be honest. I think the best way would be: when the pumas play, I consistently fail to understand what they are trying to do. I really have no idea what their game plan is about. This has nothing to do with results. Jaguares 2016 had an appalling season, they failed to execute their plan again, and again, and again. But everyone understood what their plan was about, and they had the tools to pull it off. Those tools were just not sharp enough.

Hard to prove conclusively but i honestly believe 2019 was a pivotal year for us and we blew it. We managed to destroy a 4-year plan with just a handful of very poor decisions.
Absolutely this

We are living the aftermath of a disaster, we're like the weimar republic of rugby

yesterday's match against the pommies felt like destiny. Two teams who failed in 2019, with dfferent roads leading to this WC for sure, but not entirely out of the previous cycle

I do think we need a new 4 year plan, which means this next couple of years will be real tough, and I mean real tough like in 2011-2014, we need to plant seeds and get new guys in key positions, we need to buid a new identity

Any thoughts on Felipe Contepomi as head coach next ? Maybe he should appoint Mario Ledesma as his assistant. Some form of continuity would be good.

Latest posts