• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ARU calls on Rugby fans to suggest innovative experimental laws

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
If you think there are some rugby laws that need changing, here's you chance to voice your opinion to people in a position to change them. I can't wait to hear sigesige00's contributions!
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...-to-suggest-innovative-experimental-laws.aspx

Australian Rugby Union is calling on fans to think of innovative experimental laws that could be submitted for review and adopted as part of Australian Rugby’s new domestic competition, the National Rugby Championship.

From next Monday (19 May), Rugby fans will be given the opportunity to suggest experimental laws that they think should be trialled in the NRC’s inaugural year through a social media campaign.

Four of Australia’s leading Rugby minds â€" former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer, former international Rugby referee Wayne Erickson, former Wallaby and current FOX SPORTS Rugby commentator Rod Kafer and Qantas Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie â€" will come together to review and shortlist fans’ suggestions, which will then be put to a public vote.

ARU CEO Bill Pulver said the panel had the perfect mix of coaching, playing and refereeing experience to take on this important task.

“Collectively, these men have more than a century of professional Rugby experience.â€

“Having been involved in the game at club, Super Rugby, international and an administrative level, they all have a deep understanding of what elements are needed to create an entertaining brand of Rugby that is exciting to play, coach and most importantly watch.

“Based on the outcomes of their first panel meeting, I know they all recognise the need to maintain the fabric of the game that makes it so great â€" an understandably critical factor for the International Rugby Board when they review any experimental law submissions.

“I’m confident this will be reflected in the experimental laws we’ll be implementing in the National Rugby Championship.

“Already we’ve seen the impact Qantas Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie has had in introducing a more creative style of running Rugby to our Test team, and this is an attitude we want to foster across all competitions in Australia.

“Similarly, World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer is a strong advocate of evolving the way Rugby is played and has a keen desire to see our players playing exciting Rugby week in, week out.

“As a former Wallaby and current Rugby commentator, Rod Kafer has an incredibly astute Rugby brain and we expect him to bring a strong analytical attitude to the table, while Wayne Erickson is regarded as one of Rugby’s greatest Test officials and, as Rugby’s first fulltime professional referee, has a wealth of knowledge to contribute to the group.â€

Mr Pulver said the social media experimental law campaign presents a terrific opportunity to look at law variations that could enhance the entertainment value of Rugby.

“Asking fans to contribute ideas on experimental laws is a great way to re-energise the passionate Rugby fan base and will ensure the NRC has the interests of Rugby supporters at its core.â€

“This is an exciting and innovative way for supporters to have their say, and I’m looking forward to seeing the suggestions as they flow in,†he said.

The social media campaign will run for three to four weeks, starting on Monday 19 May, and will be split into three phases:

1. crowd-sourcing suggestions from fans
2. shortlisting of suggestions by the panel of experts
3. public vote on the panel’s shortlist

Any proposed experimental laws must receive clearance from the International Rugby Board before they can be implemented.

The NRC will run for 11 weeks from late August to early November. It will involve nine teams â€" two from Queensland, four from New South Wales, and one each from the Australian Capital Territory, Victoria and Western Australia.

The competition presents a great opportunity for Rugby fans to engage with and support a local team during the second half of the year, once the Super Rugby and State Premier Rugby competitions are completed.

It is sponsored by FOX SPORTS and Foxtel, with FOX SPORTS set to broadcast at least one live match per round plus the semi-finals and final.

Further information on the social media campaign will be available from 19 May at Facebook.com/Wallabies.
The ARU are taking a novel approach to this. I'm sure there'll be an incredible amount of guff suggested but perhaps something to benefit the game will come from it. It's a long shot but I applaud them for engaging with fans.

I'd say I have a fair idea of the suggestion we'll see from Aussie fans.

No scrums or line-outs, the refs would just bounce the ball on the ground for restarts?

Pretty much, along with the old lower the penalty value one. It makes sense given their greater exposure to league I suppose.

So essentially they are going to ruin the first season of the NRC by playing ridiculous park rules rugby.

To be fair what they are suggesting isn't really all that dissimilar to what the Varsity cup does in SA - and that has been largely positive.

I just don't understand the Aussie obsession with removing the set-pieces... League already exists.

To be fair what they are suggesting isn't really all that dissimilar to what the Varsity cup does in SA - and that has been largely positive.

I just don't understand the Aussie obsession with removing the set-pieces... League already exists.

Two reasons, they are under the illusion that ball in play ='s excitment as opposed to quality fo game, and that more ball in play time somehow leads to more attacking rugby, which they believe favours their players.

The varsity does test a few rules, but id on't recall them ever doing a public vote. Does anyone know if they have?

Here's a rule for them. Each National team that doesn't have a Justin Bieber lookalike in their squad will be deducted 21 points at the start of each match.

Just to keep it interesting

Two reasons, they are under the illusion that ball in play ='s excitment as opposed to quality fo game, and that more ball in play time somehow leads to more attacking rugby, which they believe favours their players.

The varsity does test a few rules, but id on't recall them ever doing a public vote. Does anyone know if they have?

It was a decision by the organizers in league with the head of our referee council and SARU.

The results I'd call very much positive. The review system is incomparably better than the TMO in pro rugby. Changing of the penalty kick value to 2 points does seem to work at varsity cup level but BUT BUT, rugby at that level has always been more lively (ball-in-hand with lots of tries scored off turn-overs) and less cynical so I don't know how much one should read into that.

Kickers are only allowed to go for goal between the goal-line and the 22

Make it from the 10 line AND set the points gotten to 2 for every penalty awarded so it could be some discouragement at kicking like there's no tomorrow.

This is largely a myth to be honest. Anyone who actually lives here and knows any genuine Rugby fans would know that all that sort of talk comes from people who are exclusively League fans. However, most people are in favour of rules that encourage less kicking and more ball in hand rugby.

The thing is that a lot of people up north don't understand is that in terms of scale Union in Australia is about the size of League in England (the difference being the Wallabies are still competitive - unlike the English League team); i.e. it's incredibly niche. The game is now 4th behind Australian Football, Rugby League, and Soccer, in that order. As such a lot of the commentary on rules is from generally derisive League and AFL fans.

If I were to offer a suggestion, I'd like to see how the game would look with a shift in the way penalties are given. Automatic yellow cards for a third consecutive ruck infringement/offside play would have a positive influence in my view; it would make rucks cleaner and open up play.

... Reduce the points for a try to 4, no lifting in the line outs, let the scrum sort itself out, allow "actually rucking" and penalise for hands in the ruck ... oh wow ... sorry, I was having a flashback :)

Latest posts