• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2009 2nd test

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jul 21 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
was good to see pontong gracious in defeat
you wont see a captain brush the harsh decisions as quickly as he did in the presentation saying 'thats cricket'
australia was outplayed
if it were an indian outfit - they got rorted and a boycott would be pending
i hope freddy gets fingered!!

f***!!![/b]

Lol, If he's in that form for one more test Australia is in some hot water. This seriously is looking a great series. Allowing for one more draw, if Australia win one of the next two, we could be heading into a decider for the fifth, which would be exciting!

seriously this reaks for 2005
i am considering putting some $$ on the poms
the only way aussie can win, is if I back the other side - my gambling woes!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jul 21 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
seriously this reaks for 2005
i am considering putting some $ on the poms
the only way aussie can win, is if I back the other side - my gambling woes![/b]

I have suffered the same fate. In about 40 sports bets throughout my life I've only ever won once and that was by backing both teams to try and break my curse!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I wee an English fan I'd be regreting the whole first test thing now because though I don't watch cricket besides the odd 20/20 (which I gather is a bit like watching Rugby League and calling yourself a rugby fan), because if the next one is a draw then there'll be a huge storm of 'you only won because you're cheating whatsits' going on which will last forever and a day.

ah well, I'm having fun reading this even though I understand **** all of it.

Actually could someone explai how teams can draw in these full test matches? Surely it's whoever gets the most runs wins and if they by some miracle have the same amount of runs would it not go down to wickets or something. It's the one thing that baffles me most in this thread. How can someone draw in such a huge scoring sport?[/b]

This is just another explanation:

First innings

England 500 all out
Australia 200 all out

Second innings

England 200 all out
Australia 300-6

Lets say that the 5 days are up come this point. Because Australia didn't lose all their wickets, they can't lose because if the game had continued they may well have scored the runs required.
Because Australia didn't score more runs than England over the 5 days, they can't have won.

So basically, England didn't take enough wickets, Australia didn't score enough runs, so the game is drawn.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the reply and from CA Iverson also.

So basicaly in the full tests it's more than just finishing with more runs, the team out last in the last innings mst have all their wickets wicketied before time runs out.

Now quick question. Do the wickets from the first innings carry any significance at the end of the match if for example Australia were all out and england were 9476273 - 4?

And is the idea of 'declaring' so that the bowling team have enough time then to get their oposition bowled out. and if they declare in the second innings after like 3 wicketies do they still need to bowl everyone in the other team out or do they just need to match the threeeee or wha?

I am however getting there though...

Saw the 4 days of the 4th game, England played some brilliant cricket.
They might win this Ashes alto Pointing and his squad will come up with some extra tricks for the coming games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 24 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the reply and from CA Iverson also.

So basicaly in the full tests it's more than just finishing with more runs, the team out last in the last innings mst have all their wickets wicketied before time runs out.

Now quick question. Do the wickets from the first innings carry any significance at the end of the match if for example Australia were all out and england were 9476273 - 4?

And is the idea of 'declaring' so that the bowling team have enough time then to get their oposition bowled out. and if they declare in the second innings after like 3 wicketies do they still need to bowl everyone in the other team out or do they just need to match the threeeee or wha?

I am however getting there though...[/b]

Wickets carry no significance at test level at the end of the match. It does in limited overs cricket though. E.G.

50 over match

England 256-4
Australia 256-5

England would win on losing less wickets.

Regarding declaration, you're right. It's the captains decision to make to ensure the team can win the match. He needs to think about the deterioration of the pitch, the weather, the conditions (is the ball swinging if there is cloud cover?) and above all, time left in the match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 25 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Keep at it. I knew sod all about cricket until I watched the 2005 series. Shane Warne's spin bowling was the best sport I've ever seen.

Just a game of chess ... but with bruised ribs and lethal head injuries!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jul 25 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 25 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep at it. I knew sod all about cricket until I watched the 2005 series. Shane Warne's spin bowling was the best sport I've ever seen.

[/b][/quote]

I miss Warney.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 25 2009, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jul 25 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 25 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I miss Warney.
[/b][/quote]

+1

Latest posts