• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2009 2nd test

England declare in the morning with a lead of 500 or so. Kattich gone to Flintoff and caught Pietersen in the first few overs. Australia are 17-1, looking rosy for England at the moment.

i see the physio and 12th man warming up on the boundary line in preparation.... payback's a *****

34-2, Hughes out bowled Flintoff caught Strauss

Go on England!

To be fair neither wickets have actually been wickets, first was a no-ball, second hit the ground

Wouldn't mind getting rid of Clarke and Haddin very quickly, this is a tiresome partnership. It's still England's game to lose though.

lol great to see who the real fighters are when you've got your back against the wall. clarke must make a double ton if we are going to win though and with a few 20 and 30s here and there from the likes of johnson, hauritz and possibly even siddle we can get over the line against all odds.

and strauss is a f***ing cheating ******. i've played cricket for about 20 years and i've had a few opportunities to take catches down low like that. the thing is, you KNOW when you've taken the catch and you know that when your fingers are in the grass and you take it in your finger tips, that the ball is actually on the ground and there's no way it was a fair catch. it is hard for other to tell when the ball is a pace, but YOU KNOW. so strauss should have had the balls to come out and say it wasn't a catch even though his team mates celebrate (and obvious and natural reaction when you think your team has a wicket). what strauss did was detrimental to the spirit of cricket, whether the 3rd umpire was called or not.

Fair call but in the heat of the moment and with the team desperate for wickets I guess he thought he'd try his luck and it paid off 'cos the umpires didn't end up refering it...one of many dud decisions during the days play.

this is one sport where technoglogy can upheld the intergrity of the game
what strauss did was like taking a dive in the penalty box
replays show he clearly is taking advantage of human flaw of the umps
deadset low ass idiot
even hughes questioned it.
i know umpires can make mistakes, but to take advantage of one, is a highly questionable low act
i hope we hold on, and cricket kama prevails

How many catches in the slips has Ponting claimed that haven't actually been catches?

The spirit of cricket is well and truly dead, it's just the nature of sport. I doubt there are many athletes out there who wouldn't do anything they could to win, even if it means cheating. It's not pretty and even though I disagree with it I can't say that I haven't done it on a sports field before, albeit not on a cricket pitch, as you have more time to think about things out there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Jul 20 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How many catches in the slips has Ponting claimed that haven't actually been catches?

The spirit of cricket is well and truly dead, it's just the nature of sport. I doubt there are many athletes out there who wouldn't do anything they could to win, even if it means cheating. It's not pretty and even though I disagree with it I can't say that I haven't done it on a sports field before, albeit not on a cricket pitch, as you have more time to think about things out there.[/b]

I agree with the first to sentences, but my own sense of achievement means that I don't claim things I didn't achieve. I'd always feel bad later.

As for knocking Strauss, it's a joke when they aussies are as equally guilty as any other nation of cheating by claiming dropped catches. The only bad thing that they have worse than other nations in cricket is hypocracy. The number of times they call their opposition on "not being in the spirit of the game" is a joke.

It shouldn't happen, but to claim you don't do it?

i am one of ponting biggest haters.
dont know if ponting has claimed a catch that fell short - if any at all
but nobody should be doing it, with all the replays we can get, which can make you look like a cheat
like healys stumping years ago v lara - lara didnt walk even thought the umpire sent him, healy said ur out, replays show his glove hit the bails, and he had no ball - heally = cheat

same with the diving in soccer, which i reckon should be punishable from replays after the match, which show you clearly cheating

if they started to punish the clouts claiming bogus catches and diving in soccer, they would stop and think about doing it again.

this will go left unpunished, and strauss will do it again, as will all other captains, and the integrity of the game suffers

if strauss was looking at a few TESTS suspension from this joke, he wouldnt be so willing to claim close catches, and same with anyone for that matter.

The referall system is there to be used - why dont they just use it when there is doubt which is 99% of these type of catches

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 20 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Jul 20 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The spirit of cricket is well and truly dead, it's just the nature of sport. I doubt there are many athletes out there who wouldn't do anything they could to win, even if it means cheating. It's not pretty and even though I disagree with it I can't say that I haven't done it on a sports field before, albeit not on a cricket pitch, as you have more time to think about things out there.[/b]

I agree with the first to sentences, but my own sense of achievement means that I don't claim things I didn't achieve. I'd always feel bad later.

As for knocking Strauss, it's a joke when they aussies are as equally guilty as any other nation of cheating by claiming dropped catches. The only bad thing that they have worse than other nations in cricket is hypocracy. The number of times they call their opposition on "not being in the spirit of the game" is a joke.

It shouldn't happen, but to claim you don't do it?
[/b][/quote]

If you can find an example and proof ponting claimed a dropped catch from himself, i'd like to see it?

I have seen him back his squad, when they claim, but I cant recall Ponting claiming a catch that hit the deck, and wasnt out

Honestly Ak, I can't find footage of Ponting claiming a catch where he didn't catch it, but I know within myself that I have seen it happen.I won't try and convince anyone else of that or call it fact. I am of course entitled to feel that it is a fact to myself, but it'd be good to have some footage.

i'd be surprised if it didnt happen once, but to say we do it all the time or alot is a bit rich

i found footage of an identical issue to strauss with ponting, in which pontings didnt claim the close catch

i am not a fan of ponting as captain, but i wont put up with the anti-aussie thing without substantial evidence.

its well known the cricketing world hate australia and its is a perceived MYTH with lack of evidence, we are the pioneers of 'not playing in the spirit of the game'

We are the king of sledging, but we are not the kind to cheat our way in a TEST, or even attempt to cheat delibrately.

The underarm is the skeleton in our closet, that is the black mark in our history.
The sub-continent is alot worse, they threaten boycotts when a few decisions dont go their way, they have match fixing, they have terrorists, yet its australia as the axis of cricketing evil and i dare say its because we win.

We had 3 decisions last night go against us....if that was India, the English Cricketing body would be dooing overtime to keep the series alive, as the Indians would be departing calling them cheats.

back on topic i cant wait for tonight

Ashes 09, is like 05, what a series!!

loving it all, aussies need to survive the 1st session without loss

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jul 20 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i'd be surprised if it didnt happen once, but to say we do it all the time or alot is a bit rich

i found footage of an identical issue to strauss with ponting, in which pontings didnt claim the close catch

i am not a fan of ponting as captain, but i wont put up with the anti-aussie thing without substantial evidence.

its well known the cricketing world hate australia and its is a perceived MYTH with lack of evidence, we are the pioneers of 'not playing in the spirit of the game'

We are the king of sledging, but we are not the kind to cheat our way in a TEST, or even attempt to cheat delibrately.

The underarm is the skeleton in our closet, that is the black mark in our history.
The sub-continent is alot worse, they threaten boycotts when a few decisions dont go their way, they have match fixing, they have terrorists, yet its australia as the axis of cricketing evil and i dare say its because we win.

We had 3 decisions last night go against us....if that was India, the English Cricketing body would be dooing overtime to keep the series alive, as the Indians would be departing calling them cheats.[/b]

You've examined the tone of my posts without really examining the content. I have not been anti-aussie, or said that your team does it all the time. I have accused Australia of being no better or worse than other nations and surely that isn't unfair? Or do Australia deserve a mention as being the fairest of all? I could not understand the amazingly over the top nature of Insane Asylums attack on Strauss (where this part of the debate started), and merely wanted to balance the issue.

If you re-examine my post you'll see that I find it laughable that Australia are often pointing out the "unsporting" behaviours of others whilst being EQUALLY (no more no less) able to commit the same acts.

No-one has made the claims that you have in the above post. If we stick to the actual details of what was said by myself others and dealt with those words specifically, this argument might be a little less colourful than the above post outlines?

i am refering to the outside world CA, and some on here i reckon share the same view,
not singling you out, but i may have grouped you with those for which i apologise

the thing is with success, the more times you can be deemed 'not playing in the spirit'
because
a. you in a position to win the game, and execise a cheap tactic, like strauss, and the famous underarm
b. you win alot, and jealous opponents media will pick apart certain things to make you look bad to the purists/rest of the cricketing world.

Latest posts