• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2009 2nd test

S

St Helens RLFC

With the moaning about "gamesmanship" still rumbling on from the previous test, I figured it'd be a good time to start a thread about the second test.

England to choose from the squad of:

AJ Strauss (capt), AN Cook (Essex), RS Bopara (Essex), KP Pietersen (Hampshire), PD Collingwood (Durham), MJ Prior (Sussex, wkt), A Flintoff (Lancashire), SCJ Broad (Nottinghamshire), GP Swann (Nottinghamshire), JM Anderson (Lancashire), MS Panesar (Northamptonshire), IR Bell (Warwickshire), G Onions (Durham), SJ Harmison (Durham)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 14 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With the moaning about "gamesmanship" still rumbling on from the previous test, I figured it'd be a good time to start a thread about the second test.

England to choose from the squad of:

AJ Strauss (capt), AN Cook (Essex), RS Bopara (Essex), KP Pietersen (Hampshire), PD Collingwood (Durham), MJ Prior (Sussex, wkt), A Flintoff (Lancashire), SCJ Broad (Nottinghamshire), GP Swann (Nottinghamshire), JM Anderson (Lancashire), MS Panesar (Northamptonshire), IR Bell (Warwickshire), G Onions (Durham), SJ Harmison (Durham)[/b]

Well. Harmison has to come in, and it's a shame, but it should be at Panesar's expense.

Otherwise, we need to show we can bowl Australia out cheaply. It's all very well having a talented batting lineup (which we do), but they've shown they can't be relied upon to stick around for ever and that means if we're going to win Test matches then we'll really have to step up the bowling. Even if Harmison is a wet blanket, he is the only potentially world class strike bowler england have and has to be on form if we're going to win this series.

What's happened to Sidebottom...injured?. He could have been handy this series.

Agreed about the bowling. It has to take a step up, then another for England to win.

Englands bowlers have got to fire the F**k up and find more ways to attack. They were very pedestrian in the first test.

i'd like to see england play with the following team

Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Paneesar

Australia had nothing in that first session, very flat deck but help by ordinary bowling, gonna be a long day in the field. Lets see if England can keep it up.

Do England WANT to score a load of runs, like last Weds each batsman (except Skipper Strauss) has got in the got out again.

Nope thats the problem Bopara, Collingwood, Petersen and now Prior are all happily throwing their wickets away. None of them have really gotten in.

Nothing surprising though. This is the stereotypical English collapse, but Strauss staying in is making it look a bit more respectable.

England should be 300/2, instead they have moved to 300/5.

Classy stuff against what appears to be average bowling in batter friendly conditions.

So out steps Mr Flintoff.

Have to say, and I dont mean this in a nasty way, but its kinda funny how they manage to do this all the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 16 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have to say, and I dont mean this in a nasty way, but its kinda funny how they manage to do this all the time.[/b]

It does come with a certain sense of inevitability.

Good last wicket record partnership and Hughes wicket for cheap puts England on top at this early stage of day two.

Yeah all fun and games now. Flintoff and Andersen are banging the new ball in with some venom. Australia 22/2 at lunch.

Latest posts