• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2009 2nd test

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i am refering to the outside world CA, and some on here i reckon share the same view,
not singling you out, but i may have grouped you with those for which i apologise

the thing is with success, the more times you can be deemed 'not playing in the spirit'
because
a. you in a position to win the game, and execise a cheap tactic, like strauss, and the famous underarm
b. you win alot, and jealous opponents media will pick apart certain things to make you look bad to the purists/rest of the cricketing world.[/b]

No need to apologise for anything AK, we're just having a good old debate. Your one of the few people who I can disagree with on here about things yet still have courteous exchanges. Which is great.

Looking forward to seeing how tonight goes, could be an exciting finish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 20 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Wow, thats just verifying whats already been said. The claim has not been that Australia are the only culprits, or England, India or anyone else. The point being made is that Australia can't be precious about Andrew Strauss when they aren't exactly squeaky clean either. The point was that all sides have moments like this.

Australians complaining about things not going their way is a bit of a joke really.

It's all over for now, England 1-0. Feel bad for aussie fans like AK47 only really. The greatest thing a fan can do for the "spirit of the game" is to support their team well, say they have the best team, but not profess that they are spiritually and morally cleaner than all their opposition. For those people this loss is karma, for guys like AK it's a rough loss. Hard luck Australia, well played England.

I had a feeling we'd be complaining about umpiring when England won by 100 runs plus. Australia got completely outplayed. For what it's worth, I don't see any evidence to suggest that Strauss DIDN'T take the catch.

I didn't see Ponting admitting on Saturday that and identical "catch" had already bounced when the shoe was on the other foot...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 20 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had a feeling we'd be complaining about umpiring when England won by 100 runs plus. Australia got completely outplayed. For what it's worth, I don't see any evidence to suggest that Strauss DIDN'T take the catch.[/b]

Agreed.

Go on England, beat them 4-0.

<div align='center'>Screw Monty Panesar,</div>

<div align='center'>I
</div>

<div align='center'>
images

andrew-flintoff12.jpg
</div>

So happy with that win 1-0 with 2 of the 3 tests at grounds england do well et edgebaston and old trafford.

Signs are good

On the Aussie side will Brett Lee be fit for 3rd test if so I'd expect Johnson to be dropped. Poor showing in both tests compared to Hilfen-thingy and Siddle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 20 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Meant hedingley.

Ah same thing.......controversial.[/b]

Considering Lancashire are my team, mixing up Old Trafford and Headingley is less controversial and more of an outrage!

If I wee an English fan I'd be regreting the whole first test thing now because though I don't watch cricket besides the odd 20/20 (which I gather is a bit like watching Rugby League and calling yourself a rugby fan), because if the next one is a draw then there'll be a huge storm of 'you only won because you're cheating whatsits' going on which will last forever and a day.

ah well, I'm having fun reading this even though I understand **** all of it.

Actually could someone explai how teams can draw in these full test matches? Surely it's whoever gets the most runs wins and if they by some miracle have the same amount of runs would it not go down to wickets or something. It's the one thing that baffles me most in this thread. How can someone draw in such a huge scoring sport?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually could someone explai how teams can draw in these full test matches? Surely it's whoever gets the most runs wins and if they by some miracle have the same amount of runs would it not go down to wickets or something. It's the one thing that baffles me most in this thread. How can someone draw in such a huge scoring sport?[/b]

OK, I'll try:

England win toss and bat first.

England 703/3 dec

Aus: 700/8 dec

Second innings

England 233/2 dec

Australia are chasing 237 to win the match.

However, they don't manage to do it. The run out of time. In order to win they'd need to score more runs than England. So the match is drawn.

Does that help?

Disclaimer.

This is a fictional match. However, to give Australians something to complain about, Ponting was run out on 0 by a substitude fielder, who had previously changed his shoes the ball before, was drinking at the time and whose direct hit went onto the stumps via a deflection off the floodlights and Andrew Strauss' nose.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 20 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 20 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meant hedingley.

Ah same thing.......controversial.[/b]

Considering Lancashire are my team, mixing up Old Trafford and Headingley is less controversial and more of an outrage!
[/b][/quote]

I apologise for that abberation.

If this third test is won by England, would there be a temptation for England to play for a draw in the two remaining tests?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If I wee an English fan I'd be regreting the whole first test thing now because though I don't watch cricket besides the odd 20/20 (which I gather is a bit like watching Rugby League and calling yourself a rugby fan), because if the next one is a draw then there'll be a huge storm of 'you only won because you're cheating whatsits' going on which will last forever and a day.

ah well, I'm having fun reading this even though I understand **** all of it.

Actually could someone explai how teams can draw in these full test matches? Surely it's whoever gets the most runs wins and if they by some miracle have the same amount of runs would it not go down to wickets or something. It's the one thing that baffles me most in this thread. How can someone draw in such a huge scoring sport?[/b]

This is just another explanation:

First innings

England 500 all out
Australia 200 all out

Second innings

England 200 all out
Australia 300-6

Lets say that the 5 days are up come this point. Because Australia didn't lose all their wickets, they can't lose because if the game had continued they may well have scored the runs required.
Because Australia didn't score more runs than England over the 5 days, they can't have won.

So basically, England didn't take enough wickets, Australia didn't score enough runs, so the game is drawn.

was good to see pontong gracious in defeat
you wont see a captain brush the harsh decisions as quickly as he did in the presentation saying 'thats cricket'
australia was outplayed
if it were an indian outfit - they got rorted and a boycott would be pending
i hope freddy gets fingered!!

f***!!!

Latest posts