• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2009 - 3rd test

S

St Helens RLFC

Bell in for Pietersen, Panesar released from squad. Big game this, if England win it then they should regain the Ashes, a draw leaves it open for anything to happen and an Australian win would pile the pressure on England again.

Australia 202/8 at lunch, England have taken 7 wickets in the morning session. Totally unplayable from Onions and Anderson.

What an epic game so far. Absolutely brilliant bowling from Anderson and Onions but if there is swing for them there will be swing for Hilfenhaus and Siddle :(

Low scoring, knife edge game?

Agreed - I'm not getting swept up in the hysteria just yet. We English do love to follow up an impressive bowling display with some dismal batting... just to keep things fair and competitive.

Taking nothing away from some great bowling, but it HAS to be backed up by some solid batting - it's a great chance, but we still need to step up and take it.

not sure why Strauss didn't start with Onions straight after lunch, Broad has been well below par all series, costly runs as well with the last wicket partnership.

will be interesting to see how Bell goes now, given that he generally tends to make a score when England have gone well, England could well find themselves 3 down in quick time.

A whole day washed out. Someone is going to have to bat spectacularly badly for there to be a result here.

I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about Hawkeye, firstly there were some dodgy looking calls at Wimbledon which were either given out when they looked to be clearly in or vice versa and it's relevant to this given it's the same technology, the first Bell lbw shout this morning looked absolutely plum yet Hawkeye says it's going over so Hussain and Atherton take it as gospel, like the smug gimps they are. If Hawkeye is only 95% accurate than how can they use the predictive element when the referrals are rolled out in October. I know it's easy to say that umpires make mistakes but the point with using technology is that it should be 100% like hotspot if it's going to be used by the Third Umpire. If the technology is only as accurate as the umpires generally are then there's no point in using it.

I thought it looked high myself. Bell was far enough forward and it hit him high on the knee roll. Not out for me.

the angles just didn't look quite right for me, that from where it pitched it was just hard to see it rising that much, all irrelevant now.

Yet again though Bell makes a 50 and fails to kick on, granted it was a quality delivery but he owes that 50 to the repeated incompetence of Rudi Koertzen.

Could have an interesting finish though to this one if England can pick up some quick wickets now, Flintoff will have to up his game though on his first innings effort as will Broad, can't just be relying on Onions and Anderson again.

I'm picking England to bowl them out by some time after tea and not have enough time to make the runs.

Latest posts