• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashley-Cooper summoned back by his club

He also promised Laurent Marti that he was not going to take part this season, so he was not honest with his President, so not really surprised that Marti summoned him back.!!!!

Well it's an international window - so frankly Laurent Marti should go get stuffed. What is it with French rugby club owners and presidents crying when they buy international players who then get selected for their national team? Just another reason I'm happy with our current selection process.

It's not fair if the players promise not to play, but do so anyway, but like @TRF_nickdnz wrote, it's an international window. I can see why clubs don't like it and it's not only rugby that has the problem (football also has debates about it from time to time), but as long as the national teams are officially given priority over the clubs, those have to accept that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding was that he signed a contract with Bordeaux on basis he had retired ex International game otherwise he would not have got the contract.

On that basis Bordeaux are clearly in the right.

Not really since you're not allowed to force a player out of international rugby.
If it's an international window and they are wanted the club has ZERO say in it.
Hopefully World Rugby have words with his club about this.

Well it's an international window - so frankly Laurent Marti should go get stuffed. What is it with French rugby club owners and presidents crying when they buy international players who then get selected for their national team? Just another reason I'm happy with our current selection process.

Not at all the player said he was retiring to the President and no longer available for selection, International window or not, so the President has every right, this is nothing to do with French clubs or owners crying, it is the player who is at fault dishonesty to get a very lucrative contract!!!! i think if anyone should go and get stufffed it is you my friend!!!!!! Stop slandering French rugby and its clubs when you know little or nothing about them.

Not really since you're not allowed to force a player out of international rugby.
If it's an international window and they are wanted the club has ZERO say in it.

It is actually obtaining a contract by false pretences.......

He was not "forced out"of International rugby - he opted out to get the contract that he knew he would not get if he remained eligible for International selection!

nobody forced him, he said himself he was retiring it was well publisized here in France his total commitement to Bordeaux and not Australia. I know players can change their minds but in that case he was being a little dishonest with his President.

Not at all the player said he was retiring to the President and no longer available for selection, International window or not, so the President has every right, this is nothing to do with French clubs or owners crying, it is the player who is at fault dishonesty to get a very lucrative contract!!!! i think if anyone should go and get stufffed it is you my friend!!!!!! Stop slandering French rugby and its clubs when you know little or nothing about them.

Well, if clubs are stupid enough to sign players under the basis they won't be playing international rugby; then they deserve every bit of money wasted quite frankly. It's not slandering French rugby - it's that French rugby is not following the rules set out to everyone and cry when it disadvantages them. Whether he said he was retired or not; it's his and every rugby players right to play international rugby when selected during the windows. More fool clubs who sign players thinking they can stops them from playing. I mean, playing for Australia or Bordeaux. Tough one.

If you want to get personal you are welcome to PM me.

Well, if clubs are stupid enough to sign players under the basis they won't be playing international rugby; then they deserve every bit of money wasted quite frankly. It's not slandering French rugby - it's that French rugby is not following the rules set out to everyone and cry when it disadvantages them. Whether he said he was retired or not; it's his and every rugby players right to play international rugby when selected during the windows. More fool clubs who sign players thinking they can stops them from playing. I mean, playing for Australia or Bordeaux. Tough one.

If you want to get personal you are welcome to PM me.

If I told a prospective employer I had a university degree and I did not I could face prosecution if I contracted to work for them......

No differences.....it is false pretences!

Are such contracts actually legal? I'm not defending his behaviour, that's simply poor, but not the same as claiming you have a degree while you don't. A degree shows that you have certain qualifications, not playing internationally only means you can spend more time with your club. It improves your performance for the club, but it doesn't make as much difference as a degree.

If I told a prospective employer I had a university degree and I did not I could face prosecution if I contracted to work for them......

That is a strawman argument.

It is more like hiring a women on the pretenses that she declares she doesn't want to have children, and then trying to force her out of taking maternity leave when she does. The company has no right to dictate those conditions (in one case legally, and in the other through IRBs regulations) and should frankly be reprimanded for doing so in the first place.

It doesn't matter what his contract says.
If Bordeaux want to play as a professional rugby union side then they have to follow the laws set out by World Rugby.

Yeah.... no except it's more like if I told my employer I was willing to work without holidays and he was naive enough to give me the job for that reason when I am absolutely still entitled to my holidays. Lying? Yes. An idiotic thing to negotiate a contract around when you have absolutely no contractual right to enforce it? Also yes.

I also don't know if that was ever said. AAC apparently signed prior to the Giteau Rule came into place for Australians. There may have been an assumption that he couldn't play, and AAC may have believed that he couldn't play again, but then the Ozzies changed their rules, and AAC could play again. I highly doubt that it was in the contract, nor do I think something like that can be put into a contract under WR rules.

edit: just thought I would add my source to the signing being before the Giteau Rule:
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments...-cooper-set-for-france-tests-after-concussion

Last edited:
Yeah.... no except it's more like if I told my employer I was willing to work without holidays and he was naive enough to give me the job for that reason when I am absolutely still entitled to my holidays. Lying? Yes. An idiotic thing to negotiate a contract around when you have absolutely no contractual right to enforce it? Also yes.

This, except no one knows whether AAC was lying at the time or subsequently changed his mind.

edit: Or, as Saulan said, the contract was signed prior to the Giteau rule. If that's true it explains a lot.

I feel sorry for Bordeaux as its a bad situation for them but at the same time it was a foolish thing to do on their part.

Exactly. If you give someone a job on the basis that they will do X, but there's no legal way of enforcing X, then they go ahead and don't do X and there's nothing you can do about it, then you're an idiot and it's tough **** on you, to be blunt.

are rugby contracts incentive laden? cause if they are there is a lot owners can do about it

Latest posts