• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashley-Cooper summoned back by his club

Why are there such a big deal about AAC retiring?

We've seen many players that retired the international scene make a comeback later. It's not a new thing. But if the French Clubs are too naive to take that into consideration, then they should rightfully lose out.

Man, I just can't find anything to like about the French Rugby clubs and how they do things.

Man, I just can't find anything to like about the French Rugby clubs and how they do things.

LOL :roflrol:

Big Big Baddie Frenchie booboo

- - - Updated - - -

Couple of points here.
Incentives in contracts are absolutely standard; for senior players they'll be icing on the top, rather than the bulk though.
I have no sympathy for Bordeaux - hire a player who promises to retire from internationals, and take the risk that the player may change his mind - just like Bath and Priestland last year.
There is no mandatory 3 week stand-down for concussion in elite rugby (just like there is no foul of "gouging" either; from a different thread; nor is there a "red card test" to decide if citing is warranted)

Really? I always thought there was. :huh: So the player could return to club rugby next week-end then? That sounds a bit premature to me.

Last edited:
There is no mandatory 3 week stand-down for concussion in elite rugby

Ahem

http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/concussion

[TEXTAREA]Rest
Players must rest from exercise until symptom-free and then start a Graduated Return to Play. World Rugby recommends a more conservative return to play for children and adolescents.

Recover
Full recovery from the concussion is required before return to play is authorized. This includes being symptom-free. Rest and specific treatment options are critical for the health of the injured participant.

Return
In order for safe return to play in Rugby, the athlete must be symptom-free and cleared in writing by a qualified healthcare professional who is trained in evaluating and treating concussions. The athlete completes the GRTP (Graduated Return to Play) protocol.
[/TEXTAREA]

No player who fails a sideline concussion test is going to be symptom-free in a short time. Perhaps there is no laid down three week period, but in reality, GRTP takes at least three weeks.

Really? I always thought there was. :huh: So the player could return to club rugby next week-end then? That sounds a bit premature to me.

Yep, it's all done on the HIA and return to play protocols now - better than an arbitrary mandatory time frame; but no-where near good enough. Although it looks like a few new systems are being introduced (Prem are trialling a newer neurological testing system this year for example; which should be more objective).

SmartCookie - If you're going to use links to prove a 3-week mandatory minimum, then it'd help if your link proved a 3-week mandatory minimum; rather than open ended (at both ends) graduated return to play protocols.
In reality GRTP for amateurs is unrealistic within 3 weeks - and happens pretty regularly for full-time professionals.

Last edited:
Okay I know most people here know but concussion is potentially extremely serious to the long term health for a player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy#Pathology

I'd like to see a couple of things extra introduced, independant assessment of a players fit to play status (too often this is decided by people paid for by the club and have a financial gain to declaring a player fit). Minimum time between phases of current protocols.

It's harder to enforce that at lower level of the game beyond the top tier of leagues and intnernational event but it would probably go a lot further to promote that culture. I think the clubs are poor decisions makers trying to get player ready ASAP rather than letting it take it's course.

SmartCookie - If you're going to use links to prove a 3-week mandatory minimum, then it'd help if your link proved a 3-week mandatory minimum.

Did you read this bit?

"Perhaps there is no laid down three week period..."

I've emphasized the salient bit

What is it with you Poms that you seem to have a great deal of trouble understanding your own language?

I expected this thread to at some point to evolve into a bit of a spat between the French posters and the rest of the world... Who would've thought it would be New Zealand vs England ;).

so yeah, a team would be able to **** players over who choose to play internationals with incentives

Only if the player chooses to accept that contract and doesn't go somewhere else offering a better contract.

I suppose if every club agreed to only offer that sort of contact they wouldn't have a choice - but that would be straight up illegal and there appears to be no appetite for it.

I expected this thread to at some point to evolve into a bit of a spat between the French posters and the rest of the world... Who would've thought it would be New Zealand vs England ;).

hardly fair we are roughly 3 regulars from France who post, and we have to take on the rest of the World WOW!!!!!! but as they always have said the more the merrier so bring it on boys!!!!!!!!!!!

Only if the player chooses to accept that contract and doesn't go somewhere else offering a better contract.

I suppose if every club agreed to only offer that sort of contact they wouldn't have a choice - but that would be straight up illegal and there appears to be no appetite for it.

Agreed

Ok, I know you have anti-trust Laws in Europe (I think you call them "Competition Laws" or "Collusion Laws") but would that really apply to sports contracts?

I don't see how it would be illegal for clubs to standardise the base terms of their contracts.

Last edited:
without throwing any more fuel on the fire, it is a well known fact in France that certain Pacific Island players have signed contracts with French clubs where there have agreed to stop playing International rugby for their countries. Illegal or not, this certainly is not the first time it has happened maybe first time for a high profile player like AAC.

without throwing any more fuel on the fire, it is a well known fact in France that certain Pacific Island players have signed contracts with French clubs where there have agreed to stop playing International rugby for their countries. Illegal or not, this certainly is not the first time it has happened maybe first time for a high profile player like AAC.

Erm, what about the Bakkies Botha lawsuit a few years ago?

Yes it happens, which is unfortunate, but it really shouldn't and it is disappointing that WR isn't stepping in and doing more to squash this from happening. A slightly old article from before last year's World Cup, but Dan Leo summed up the situation:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...acific-island-players-to-miss-rugby-world-cup

Hopefully WR gets themselves in order and cuts this out of the game.

Erm, what about the Bakkies Botha lawsuit a few years ago?

What you may or may not understand this is Toulon, Boudjellal does this every month so its nothing new for us, this weekend he did a press conference on Toulon's struggle with relegation this season we are on DAY 3, he did the same for Habana and others saying if they played Internation rugby he would not pay them etc etc., he loves the media spotlight, you probably dont get all the tripe that hs throws at the media we do and its most weeks he comes out with something, so most people take little notice of him. next week if Toulon lose he will be selling the club as i said nobody take a lot of notice these days.

to the best of my knowledge there was no lawsuit. That was just a threat. Mourad mouthing off again. Some fall for it every time.

Botha had a great end to his career at Toulon, he won trophies and money he could never have won in South Africa.

Latest posts