• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia in South Africa

was that the Hadden call or was there another one, the Hadden one did look out at first glance, didn't seem to be any bat involved but for this system to work hotspot has to be used but I think it's only been used in England and the Aussies started using it as well. Given that it's quite an expensive technology there is a case for the ICC to fund or part fund the costs of having this available in every test series.

just looking at the highlights during the lunch break and some of the catches have been superb, especially the De Villiers one to get rid of Hughes but the one Kallis took off Clarke was quality as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 28 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've seen weirder things happen. Dont write SA off yet.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 28 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
300+ runs behind I think it's a safe bet to write them off, conditions are favouring the bowlers, SA are scoring at a very low rate which isn't helping their cause and they're even getting the luck with the decisions.[/b]

so 276 needed to win the test match but the more likely scenario is that Australia will pick up the 8 wickets to win the match. It's improbable enough that they've chased down 400+ twice to beat Australia, a 3rd time would just be a **** take of monumental proportions

This would be great if SA could chase down this total!last time I checked SA needed 188 to win for a minimum of 52 overs with 5 wickets in hand.Boucher and Duminy at the crease.

If they can just put on another 50-90 together SA will have a nice chance of winning this, hopefully the weather will play along as in being sunny for as long as SA are in control and being dark and rainy when they loose too much wickets :p

great win by the aussies, at no point did i think it would be easy though and it will be another thrilling series between the two nations. the recent series in australia was one of the most exciting ones i've seen in years and i think it's what we need in test cricket. sometimes even we find it boring beating everyone by an innings.

they need to sort out the referal system though, as the umpire and commentators had differing opinions as to what the rules were

it's not got off to the best start, didn't really see how it worked in the NZ WI series but there were definitely problems in the first test in Jamaica and again in Johannesburg with the Sarwan and Hadden referrals.

It's mainly the LBW decisions that are the most controversial, they can't seem to find a fair balance between a right and wrong decision, the bowler is getting the benefit of doubt far more with some of the normally down leg and not out decisions that a standing umpire would normally call not out.

They may be right within the laws but some have had doubts like a couple during the NZ v WI series. It will take time to strike a fair balance but I think it is here to stay.

I also think it should be only one wrong referal per innings.

but there was also the Boucher one which was probably the easiest one to have avoided had they had hotspot available, that has to be a must for this system to work. It was that issue more than lbws which caused such problems during the Australia India series.

Australia utterly dominant in this match again, stark contrast from their performance in the home series, Hughes becoming the youngest player to make 2 centuries in a test match, great achievement. Thought Kallis was going to be key in this match, having bowled so well in the second innings in Johannesburg but missing most of the first one but not to be.

so 545 for SA to chase to stay alive in this series, all the more difficult due to the fact that Smith has already broken his finger, he's been ruled out of the 3rd test but it'll be interesting to see if he bats in this innings should SA need him.

So again like the last test either result is possible on the final day with South Africa needing 301 to win but Australia more likely to wrap up the series by taking the remaining wickets.

Easy enough in the end for Australia, getting Kallis and De Villiers out early enough on the final day, with not much else being offered after that, wouldn't have expected such a one sided emphatic result at the start of the series, bet England are really ******** themselves now

I know the series is over but not the best of starts to the final test for Australia having won the toss and decided to bat, currently 158-6

Australia all out for 209 in just 72 overs, good days work for the bowlers with them all chipping in.

SA getting their innings underway now.

Close of play and South Africa are 57-0 in reply only 152 runs behind Australia's first innings total.

South Africa still in control of this test match, 180-2 now with Prince closing in on his century.

Prince has gone on to complete his century and SA are still only 2 down but have a lead of 12 runs.

Prince eventually out for 150 but Kallis is closing in on his century now, just 14 short and with Duminy still to come South Africa will only be looking to bat once

Latest posts