• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia v South Africa

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Aug 28 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Problem I saw with Genia last week was the way he directed play in the last few minutes, when Aus should have been setting up for a winning DG. He went to the touchlines, instead of funneling the ball to the midfield, and finally threw a pass that bounced of a speeding lock's chest. Not a general.

Good to see Melhor back with huge, detailed posts![/b]
He's 21 and played about 21 minutes of Test rugby, he will learn.

It was Ben Alexanders chest so a prop not a lock, if it had been a lock they might have caught it :p.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 27 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Aug 28 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brock James?

Mark Gasnier?

Peter Hewat?!?!

:lol:

No thanks...[/b]
Are you serious? Mark Gasnier is a much better player than Ryan Cross, and Mortlock's best football is behind him. He's our number one candidate for outside centre leading up to the next world cup, whether you realise it or not.
[/b][/quote]

You have to be kidding me!?

Adam Ashley-Cooper...

Digby Ioane...

Rob Horne...

All of them are much better candidates than Mark Gasnier...

We don't need another overrated league convert who has yet to prove himself in the Super 14...

And that's another thing... he isn't signed up to any Super 14 clubs next year, and I doubt he's going to come into contention for the Australian World Cup team if he decides to come down in 2011...

At this stage, an underperforming Stirling Mortlock, and even Ryan Cross is far superior than Mark Gasnier....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Aug 28 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 27 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Aug 28 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brock James?

Mark Gasnier?

Peter Hewat?!?!

No thanks...[/b]
Are you serious? Mark Gasnier is a much better player than Ryan Cross, and Mortlock's best football is behind him. He's our number one candidate for outside centre leading up to the next world cup, whether you realise it or not.
[/b][/quote]

Adam Ashley-Cooper...

Digby Ioane...

Rob Horne...

We don't need another overrated league convert who has yet to prove himself in the Super 14...

And that's another thing... he isn't signed up to any Super 14 clubs next year, and I doubt he's going to come into contention for the Australian World Cup team if he decides to come down in 2011...

At this stage, an underperforming Stirling Mortlock, and even Ryan Cross is far superior than Mark Gasnier....
[/b][/quote]
Adam Ashley-Cooper's future is at fullback or utility from the bench, he isn't going to be a Test quality outside centre.

Rob Horne is yet to develop but he has potential. Ioane is a great player but he will probably be of better use to the Wallabies as a finisher considering our current crop of wingers aren't scoring tries and don't make much metres.

Mortlock is getting older and will be a better stamp collector then a rugby player come 2011.

Your opinion that Ryan Cross is a better candidate than Gasnier is ridiculous. The later was one of the best players in the NRL when he quit the game at the height of his powers. The former had played none or very little representative football. Yet he made the Wallabies in his first or second season. That shows you the severe lack of depth in Australian rugby. Gasnier is one of those rare footballers that is naturally talented and possesses something you can not coach. Watch him go in his second year of rugby union in one of the best competitons in the world. Come 2011 he will have 3 seasons under his belt, and will be a Wallaby.

Plus Ioane has a lot more strength than Turner and Mitchell, and makes more damaging runs.

Wally I can understand your viewpoint but Tuqiri and Sailor went average after a few years imo, union is too conservative for the leaguies. I think if he's serious about the Wallabies he should go to Victoria or Western Force (Like Cross did) to escape the media hype.

And Will Genia should be starting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 28 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Aug 28 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Aug 27 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brock James?

Mark Gasnier?

Peter Hewat?!?!

No thanks...[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Adam Ashley-Cooper...

Digby Ioane...

Rob Horne...

[/b][/quote]
Adam Ashley-Cooper's future is at fullback or utility from the bench, he isn't going to be a Test quality outside centre.

Rob Horne is yet to develop but he has potential. Ioane is a great player but he will probably be of better use to the Wallabies as a finisher considering our current crop of wingers aren't scoring tries and don't make much metres.

Mortlock is getting older and will be a better stamp collector then a rugby player come 2011.

Your opinion that Ryan Cross is a better candidate than Gasnier is ridiculous. The later was one of the best players in the NRL when he quit the game at the height of his powers. The former had played none or very little representative football. Yet he made the Wallabies in his first or second season. That shows you the severe lack of depth in Australian rugby. Gasnier is one of those rare footballers that is naturally talented and possesses something you can not coach. Watch him go in his second year of rugby union in one of the best competitons in the world. Come 2011 he will have 3 seasons under his belt, and will be a Wallaby.
[/b][/quote]

Gasnier has no background in rugby and is only going into his second year playing French rugby where he was mostly been on the wing...

He was one of the best centres in RUGBY LEAGUE but he has yet to be tested in this game and I think it's stupid to suggest he's going to sign up to an Australian team in 2011 and be rushed into the starting XV for the Wallabies in a World Cup year when we've already got plenty of quality players devloping into Mortlock's replacement...

There have been too many 'great' rugby league players who just haven't made it in Union... I think you might need to think about that before rushing to make these kinds of predictions...

Ryan Cross had a background in rugby and was able to adapt a lot quicker than others and has been a reliable player... his conversion has so far been better than Gasnier's...

Whatever happened to that other great rugby league centre that was going to be a great rugby player... Timana something? :lol:

Also, Gasnier is going to be 30 in 2011 and is already past his best is any code...

Generally Rugby League inside and midfield backs (especially those who have NO Union background), don't make good Rugby Union converts.

You see, when they get to Rugby Union, they run into something extraordinary; something they are completely unprepared for, something that is totally outside their previous experience.

Its called.... A FLANKER!!!!

Flanker.jpg

I've geniunely pondered Pienaar's move to 15. Why? P Divvy's reason was that he wants to keep Pienaar's interest levels high.. Anyway we will miss Steyn's physicality. Perhaps the reason he's been drop? He relies on his size too much imo. Back when he first came on the scene he had a fantastic step. Just don't see it anymore... Perhaps Pienaars finesse and silky skills is what P Divvy wants at the back. He joins the line extremely well, something Steyn has not been doing. Should be interesting.

I noticed that Steyn has turned into too much of a wrecking ball, my memory still haunts me with dreaded images of him carving WP up on a very wet Kings Park back when he was a nobody and he continued to do that in the world cup where he practically toyed with the opposition midfield.
This coupled with the fact that he has never been given a proper position to play in before really makes me think that his is a talent that's gone wasted.

No predictions on the game from my end, I know the odds are heavily in our favor, but then I'm reminded of the fact that we have only ever won 2 games in Australia during a Tri Nations.

Im tipping the wallabies on this one home ground advantage also the spring boks have the worse away record out of any of the 3 teams...

*If the boks can win this game i reckon they'll have the TN in the bag

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 27 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I am a fan of Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12. Giteau is best here.[/b]

No. No. NO! NO! NO!! Giteau is the best fly half in the world, his kicking is much better than Barnes the entire reason Barnes plays 12 is so that Giteau if pressured can get the ball out to another kicker, and the unpredictability of Giteau, Barnes is as predictable as the subject of a Christmas Day mass.
[/b][/quote]
Besides the better ones.

I actually fancy an upset tonight. I don't think South Africa were very impressive in South Africa at all. It was more a fact of Australia and NZ playing poorly over there and not adjusting to the tactics then South Africa playing well. If Australia play at South Africa's game then they can prevail. All All black's fans will be in behind them.

Anybody know where I can stream the rugby? Is there a place to stream it free even?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opperstopper @ Aug 29 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anybody know where I can stream the rugby? Is there a place to stream it free even?[/b]

Do you mean watch a stream or make one ? In both cases I recommend trying Justin.tv, although they have this annoying 1000 viewers thing block. Easily beatable though.

Australia getting creamed right now...THeir forward pack is getting ass-raped by the Boks, and Giteau can't make it happen all alone.

This is all over bar the shouting. Its going to turn into a real hiding if the Wobblies aren't careful

A bonus point win to South Africa puts them on 17 points

Best New Zealand can do is 18 (two 4-try bonus point wins). That means South Africa would have to lose their last two games by more than 7.

Ain't gonna happen, might just as well hand them the trophy now.

This shows up the stupidity of the current format where everyone plays everyone else three times. It virtually over and were only 3/4 of the way through the competition. The remaining matches will be meaningless dead rubbers.

Roll on Argentina joining this comp.

Latest posts