Sker

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Cheetahs
Hey gents, need some help.

Any of you guys in Aus or amy other person here know / have travelled there in the past 3 months with a visitor visa?

I applied for mine the 1st of September and they just came back to me asking for more correspondence (apparently I need to go do a medical examination as well)

I've done my biometrics (where they made a copy of my passport and took my prints and everything) and I've also added a certified copy of my passport and ID today.

They're asking for a ton of other stuff (proof of assets, payslips, bank statements) which I'll go and certify tomorrow and attach as well. I'm supposed to fly out the 28th of October, a bit anxious that I might not make it in time if they are this anal.

Do you guys think I should rather try and delay the flight or if I give them my whole life story tomorrow, certified ****ing 3 times over they'll be happy to let me into their country come 28 October.

Hey gents, need some help.

Any of you guys in Aus or amy other person here know / have travelled there in the past 3 months with a visitor visa?

I applied for mine the 1st of September and they just came back to me asking for more correspondence (apparently I need to go do a medical examination as well)

I've done my biometrics (where they made a copy of my passport and took my prints and everything) and I've also added a certified copy of my passport and ID today.

They're asking for a ton of other stuff (proof of assets, payslips, bank statements) which I'll go and certify tomorrow and attach as well. I'm supposed to fly out the 28th of October, a bit anxious that I might not make it in time if they are this anal.

Do you guys think I should rather try and delay the flight or if I give them my whole life story tomorrow, certified ****ing 3 times over they'll be happy to let me into their country come 28 October.

Sounds a lot like the American Visa application.

I had to undergo a medical, supply proof of address, 3 months payslips, medical aid cover policy, ID, passport, 2 family member's contact details with affidavits from them stating that I'm an upstanding citizen.

It's a lot of work...

Maybe that's some "special treatment" depending on which passport you hold.
A German friend of me did not need to go through all of that...

Some passports are worth way more than others in terms of travelling. We forget in the Western World just how many doors are open just by being a citizen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/The-worlds-most-powerful-passports/

By comparison whilst my British passport currently ranked 3rd (and previously 1st in recent years) the South African passport is ranked 54th.

Heiniken had to undergo all that to travel to America. I filled out a simple form online for an ESTA and can now visit America for maximum of 90 days over the next 2 years with multiple trips.

I know many people of dual nationality who hold different passports simply based on travel options because of them.

Some passports are worth way more than others in terms of travelling. We forget in the Western World just how many doors are open just by being a citizen.

By comparison whilst my British passport currently ranked 3rd (and previously 1st in recent years) the South African passport is ranked 54th.

Heiniken had to undergo all that to travel to America. I filled out a simple form online for an ESTA and can now visit America for maximum of 90 days over the next 2 years with multiple trips.

I know many people of dual nationality who hold different passports simply based on travel options because of them.

South Africans with British Passports (of which there are many) are very lucky. My girlfriend recently got one which means she now has free access to Europe and very little hassle anywhere. Meanwhile, I have to get UK and Schengen visas, with the British one costing about R10k for 2 years and the Schengen costing between five and 10k for a few weeks.

Well me, my father and my 2 brothers are now trying to get our dual passport for Holland as we qualify for that passport, but it has been a struggle doing it from South Africa.

My girlfriend recently got one which means she now has free access to Europe and very little hassle anywhere.
Shame we've decided to chuck it away. I'm sure something else will replace it but it's not going to be as easy.

Shame we've decided to chuck it away. I'm sure something else will replace it but it's not going to be as easy.

Na, I rate you guys will keep it, I mean they give other European non-EU countries free access.

Na, I rate you guys will keep it, I mean they give other European non-EU countries free access.
Nope it is 100% something that will be ditched, free movement of people was probably the number 1 reason the Brexit vote won. If the government accept it they'll be massive changes in voter swings come the next General Election. In turn the EU are not going to reciprocate and give us free access if we refuse to give them the same.

It's pretty much the most non-negotiable part of this and make us wanting access to the open market extremely difficult.

We'll have ease of access in some way but we won't be able to waltz in anymore.

Nope it is 100% something that will be ditched, free movement of people was probably the number 1 reason the Brexit vote won. If the government accept it they'll be massive changes in voter swings come the next General Election. In turn the EU are not going to reciprocate and give us free access if we refuse to give them the same.

It's pretty much the most non-negotiable part of this and make us wanting access to the open market extremely difficult.

We'll have ease of access in some way but we won't be able to waltz in anymore.

Ah, good point, I had forgotten about the part that the UK would be pushing for no free movement of other Europeans in the UK. By the way, any news as to when this 'leaving' will actually take place?

Ah, good point, I had forgotten about the part that the UK would be pushing for no free movement of other Europeans in the UK. By the way, any news as to when this 'leaving' will actually take place?
I think formal negotiations (article 50) will start taking place next year, officially it's two years after that but can be delayed.

Johnson just said early 2017 but I wouldn't be surprised for it to be more likely a mid-2017.

Latest posts