• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs New Zealand

Just looked at the stats and Australia had to make 57 more tackles than NZ.....that equates to more than 9 sets to defend.....or it equates to 11 sets if you don't count the kick on the last as a tackle.  Too much tackling can take the sting out of you when it comes to attacking...and when you have had two easy games against PNG and Fiji the fitness might have been stretched too far.

NZ also kicked over 267 more metres than Australia...a huge amount.  Granted that may be the fact that they had to kick on the last set from in their own half....but it does show that wherever they were on the field they always managed to kick the Aussies back into their own 20 metre area at least.  Therefore the Aussies had to work hard for the chance to get close to the NZ line.  Nathan Fiens kicking was crucial for NZ.

nathan fien was just nailing every kick and it was probably his best kicking game in a long time possibly even years since he has kicked that well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 25 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 25 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
loving this thread - kiwis are alive - world cup glory!!

khunt is crap - hasnt got anything on slater or b stewart - he shouldnt have made the aussie team

campese was the utility they all forgot, and ricky stuart is a **** - big game coach choker

roosters 1 from 3
sharks
now australia

ricky stuarts position should be reviewed - and gaf the gimp[/b]

Yes, Khunt is crap. He does that same ridiculously gay "skip-jump" every time he returns the ball. It's like, yeah pal... you're not kidding anyone with that pathetic step anymore.

I'd also like to add that Paul Gallen is the biggest meat sack on the planet. I mean, does anyone like this guy? Does he actually have any friends?
[/b][/quote]

So would you have hunt or slater at FB for Queensland?

Hunt replaced slater in origin two before kickoff and slater went to the bench. You could tell how much more of an impact Hunt had - his size, his gutsy full speed running into blue walls - i dont think he ran sideways once (or run out for that matter) unlike Billy who did last Saturday for pretty much the whole game.

Anyone who puts on huge hits on Greg Bird is a deadset legend and nothing short of an inspiration to fellow team mates 3.49 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8feEmHSfaI - the greatest vid on youtube btw

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Nov 26 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 25 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 25 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
loving this thread - kiwis are alive - world cup glory!!

khunt is crap - hasnt got anything on slater or b stewart - he shouldnt have made the aussie team

campese was the utility they all forgot, and ricky stuart is a **** - big game coach choker

roosters 1 from 3
sharks
now australia

ricky stuarts position should be reviewed - and gaf the gimp[/b]

Yes, Khunt is crap. He does that same ridiculously gay "skip-jump" every time he returns the ball. It's like, yeah pal... you're not kidding anyone with that pathetic step anymore.

I'd also like to add that Paul Gallen is the biggest meat sack on the planet. I mean, does anyone like this guy? Does he actually have any friends?
[/b][/quote]

So would you have hunt or slater at FB for Queensland?

Hunt replaced slater in origin two before kickoff and slater went to the bench. You could tell how much more of an impact Hunt had - his size, his gutsy full speed running into blue walls - i dont think he ran sideways once (or run out for that matter) unlike Billy who did last Saturday for pretty much the whole game.

Anyone who puts on huge hits on Greg Bird is a deadset legend and nothing short of an inspiration to fellow team mates 3.49 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8feEmHSfaI - the greatest vid on youtube btw
[/b][/quote]

I think you know already that I despise Slater, more so than Khunt. I'd still pick Slater though, he is a class above IMO. However, out of any fullback in the world I'd choose Brett Stewart.

Phil Gould article from the Sydney Morning Herald....his take on how the Kiwis won.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/eleme...ge#contentSwap1

<DIV align="left"><div align='left'>
</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
AUSTRALIA lost the World Cup final for simple reasons; not the least of which was the fact they encountered a committed New Zealand team which played without the fear of losing.

They attacked Australia with an attitude that showed they held reputations in little regard and were committed to giving their all for the full 80 minutes.

Tactically they were smarter, too. They changed their game from playing to the edges of the field with repetitive decoy plays, like every other team in the world, to directing their best attacking plays back at the middle of the field around the goalposts, where Australia lacked size and mobility.

A speculative grubber kick to the posts early in the tackle count caught Australia by surprise and should have produced the opening try for Benji Marshall. They finally touched down when Jeremy Smith bullocked and stepped his way through flimsy goal-line defence under the uprights.

New Zealand's forwards also chanced their hand with some forced offloads in the early stages of the match. It was risky stuff, but it gave way to some second-phase play and prevented the Australians suffocating them with their wrestlemania-style gang tackling. Brilliant - they really put some thought into this one.

There's no doubt New Zealand also got the best of the luck; but when you are forcing the issue the way the Kiwis were, it's amazing how often things fall your way. They were ferocious and uninhibited. If there was any luck to be handed out, they were determined to grab it.

They forced countless errors from the Australians with some old-fashioned hustle and bustle. You don't need much more than this to win big games. Turnovers of possession are crucial. Most importantly, New Zealand saved their best for last. In the final 40 minutes of the final tie, the Kiwis produced their finest football of the tournament.

With all due respect to the emerging coaching talents of Stephen Kearney, I think we can attribute this impeccable timing and winning attitude to the big-occasion experience of Wayne Bennett. Like champion horse trainer Bart Cummings, Bennett gets his charges ready for the big race and doesn't wear them out getting there.

Remember, the half-time score in the final was 16-12 in favour of the Australians. Whatever happened in the two dressing rooms at the break certainly made a difference. New Zealand stormed home and won the second half 22-4. That's a belting in anyone's language.

Australia, on the other hand, saved their worst football for their biggest day. Ricky Stuart's post-match outburst at ARL officials and his ridiculous accusations of a conspiracy against his team were way out of line. Those who publicly protect Stuart put this emotional behaviour down to a competitive nature and passion for the game. Maybe, in part, this is true; although others will have a very different explanation.

There's no doubt he can coach. One must admire his strong work ethic, and he certainly instils discipline and steel into his troops. But like all coaches, he has his limits and until such time as he learns to be more comfortable in his own skin and more trusting of the talents of his players, he will continue to struggle with the fluctuating fortunes that are a feature of rugby league.

Like in most big-match preparations conducted by Stuart, his men were wound up so tight they exploded out of the barriers in the early stages, ran themselves ragged and saved little for the long run up the home straight.

The rehearsed set pieces that punished the likes of Fiji and Papua New Guinea faltered under the greater pressure exerted by Kiwi defenders. Australia ran sideways too often and the number of decoys and players involved in these set pieces was complete overkill. They were far better served when Jonathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer engaged the defence in their own styles.

We could also talk about the decision to go into a Test match of this importance with only two recognised front-row forwards. At a crucial time in the second half, a very tired-looking Petero Civoniceva was out there toiling away on his own while a frustrated Brent Kite was left sitting on the sidelines and an even more frustrated Josh Perry was watching from the grandstands. That allowed the Kiwi big men to run without fear and they totally dominated proceedings when the game was in the balance.

What makes New Zealand's success even more remarkable is the fact they were missing so many star players. One by one this season, key men such as Sonny Bill Williams, Roy Asotasi, Frank Pritchard, Steve Matai, Setaimata Sa, Sia Soliola and Brent Webb became unavailable. As November approached, many believed the Kiwis would not be competitive. But the fact is that they are now World Cup champions, and no one can ever take it away from them. They were outstanding.

So, too, was the tournament itself. It provided some great football and entertainment. It gave us a timely reminder that players love to play in their national colours and the fans responded to the passion shown on the field.

All in all, it was a great result for the game - everyone wins![/b]

Some interesting points here...such as this one
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Like in most big-match preparations conducted by Stuart, his men were wound up so tight they exploded out of the barriers in the early stages, ran themselves ragged and saved little for the long run up the home straight.[/b]
Haha....yeah it looks like Stuart just needed to calm down a bit.  However I think the main reason why they ran out of puff was because they were underdone going into the final while the Kiwis had two tough games against the English.[/left]

Does anyone have a link to what Stuart said that Phil Gould mentions in the article?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wizard From Oz @ Nov 27 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone have a link to what Stuart said that Phil Gould mentions in the article?[/b]
Apparently there are no offical quotes...no verbatim as such.  This is what is now being investigated....the content of his verbal tirade.

"There's no doubt New Zealand also got the best of the luck;"

Just keep telling yourself that Phil, you arrogant fat headed prick.

I dont like Gould but I thought he was right on for a change! Every game has a few lucky or unlucky moments that could go either way. Usually they go the way of Australia, not this time! But it was by no means won on luck, It just helped put it beyond doubt.

So, how long before the cross-code challenge of the All Blacks vs the Kiwis?

They'd best not do a Haka mind... It may kick off. Or something.

I think that any hope of that happening vanished when the Kiws won the World Cup. I doubt the All Blacks could cope with being outdone by the "rejects."

That's exactly the point of it ever happening.

As for the 'outdone' bit, It's a different sport Danny! ;)

Nonu would break every tackle I saw throughout the tournament anyway.

Well Kiwiz, saw the summary on tele, awesome game, a lot of tension just the way I like it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 28 2008, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think that any hope of that happening vanished when the Kiws won the World Cup. I doubt the All Blacks could cope with being outdone by the "rejects."[/b]

I'd put 5 bucks on the All Blacks winning the League half of the game.

Not really, I would put 5 bucks on the Kangaroos winning or at least making a goodfist of the Union half against the Wallabies as well.

The Kangaroos are so far up their own arses, THEY would probably put 5 bucks on themselves making a good fist of a game against the Wallabies as well!

true...the aussies get a bit tooo cocky...about time someone backhanded em bak in their place.......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kinkon89 @ Nov 28 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
true...the aussies get a bit tooo cocky...about time someone backhanded em bak in their place.......[/b]
Except the Kangaroos place is.....at the top.

I actually agree with Ripper on both his points.  All Blacks are better than the Kiwis....Kangaroos are better than the Wallabies.