• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs Samoa Predictions

my prediction:
Australia 40 Samoa 13

James So'oialo is an amazing goal kicker but just an ok player, whereas Paul Williams is a great player and an ok goal kicker, i'm surprised they're still going with the goal kicker

My thoughts exactly Super Sub. No real pace in the back row. Looks like the weather will be wet so that may help Samoa. A slow forward orientated game. Tafua did say that slight selection change before Sunday. We shall wait and see!!

Tom Coventry is not with Samoa at the moment. He will be there leading up to and during the worldcup. He made a big difference with the end of year tour last year. They have Aussie Mclean helping out at the moment.

Go Manu!!
Here's hoping Tafua puts it right by Sunday.

By the way our pack has been playing, I'm not surprised that Coventry hasn't been there. I'd be more confident if he was in the camp.

I like that we are going into this game as massive underdogs and that the experts are giving us no chance. This is exactly how Samoa like it as we play at our best when our backs are to the wall. Australia going into this game (rightfully) confident that they are going to walk over us this Sunday. That maybe so but we will see. This is my take building up to the game to the opening of the movie 300 with my lil spin put on it.

A beast approaches.....

Patient and confident,
savoring the meal to come.

But this beast
is made of men...

...with vast resources at their disposal

A team loaded with talent, vast beyond imagining,
ready to devour tiny Samoa.

Ready to snuff out the worlds one hope
for a giant upset.

A beast approaches...

...and it was the boys in BLUE
who provoked it.

Just found out that Henry Tuilagi retired from international rugby. A shame on his day i would rate him in the top 5 no8s in the game

Malo Afakasi, well said uso... Will be hoping that the boys put in a big effort. I hope our back line get's enough ball because we have some firepower out wide. Mapusua especially needs to lead the way.

Just found out that Henry Tuilagi retired from international rugby. A shame on his day i would rate him in the top 5 no8s in the game
Really?!
Gutting, he's a great player
Wish he would've left it until after the WC

Hi Welshglory, where did you get your sources from regarding Henry Tuilagi's Retirement from International rugby? Please send the link to this article.

It is kind of hard to believe as he has been named in the rwc squad. I have searched for this article and can't find anything.

Think this'll be pretty close - Samoa have had some time together to gel, and the Australia team's experimental-ism will disrupt them a bit

Hard to know who to cheer for, as Samoa and Australia are my two teams I really like from the SH

Go Samstralia/Ausoa!

Think this'll be pretty close - Samoa have had some time together to gel, and the Australia team's experimental-ism will disrupt them a bit

I hope so brother, I can see that happening too but its going to be a very mammoth task IMO. I hope their focus is very casual.

Hard to know who to cheer for, as Samoa and Australia are my two teams I really like from the SH

Go Samstralia/Ausoa!

Cheer for us for the sake of the underdog. More fun when the underdog wins.

Pretty harsh on Helleur on his debut. If anyone should be blamed for letting in that try it is:
1) James Bolabiu, the Fijian assistant referee that didn't call back play after a crooked Tongan lineout that instantly resulted in a Taumalolo try, no advantage there for Samoa... even after the match Filipo Levi said on the interview that they were expecting play to be called back after the crooked lineout... He went on to say that the "team" made a mistake by not playing to the whistle like they should have.
2) Timoteo Iosua who got stepped by a prop (his whole game was a complete disaster and this was just embarassing)

I'm not surprised to see Stowers at #8. From a coaching perspective, you don't want to put Tuifua in the all-important role of #8 against a rugby giant. The risk is too high, not only to the team's chances of winning but also on the confidence of Tuifua, who is only just bursting onto the international scene. Instead, Stowers with his leadership and experience is the sensible choice at #8. Not to mention he was bad at #6 against Fiji.

I agree that Lavea needs to be dropped to make him appreciate the blue jersey more than he has shown. Pisi is showing good form and deserves to display his talent at this highest level.

Logovi'i Mulipola is only in there because he was brought in by Tom Coventry to give him experience before he returns to ITM Cup for the Hawke's Bay team; this is the rumour that's going around anyway.

It is kind of hard to believe as he has been named in the rwc squad. I have searched for this article and can't find anything.
I cant find an article either. But I have seen on other forums that he has retired and it would explain his absence from the day. Plus given his age (34) too it wouldn't come as surprising he wants to spend the rest of the career playing for his club. I hope this isn't the case and hearing things on forums are false without a viable source.
Looks like Digby wants to thrash us, well I guess thats Australian Samoans for ya...understandable though, in a way.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...e-a-statement/
Well if he thinks Australia is going make a statement at Manu Samoas expense well Im confident that he'll have another thing coming. I hope we see Alesana Tuilagi with ball in hand run a TRAIN over his candy A$S!
Pretty harsh on Helleur on his debut. If anyone should be blamed for letting in that try it is:
1) James Bolabiu, the Fijian assistant referee that didn't call back play after a crooked Tongan lineout that instantly resulted in a Taumalolo try, no advantage there for Samoa... even after the match Filipo Levi said on the interview that they were expecting play to be called back after the crooked lineout... He went on to say that the "team" made a mistake by not playing to the whistle like they should have.
2) Timoteo Iosua who got stepped by a prop (his whole game was a complete disaster and this was just embarassing)
I agree, that touch ref has to be one of the most incompetent referees Ive ever seen. Every time I see him making a call whether it be for a penalty or a line call he is indecisive and it seems he cant even speak proper English. I'm not just talking about that call or that game, he has been like that every game Ive seen him as referee during the PNC. And I agree on Timoteo Iosua, he had a horrible game and hasnt been that impressive in his showings for Samoa. We have Alesana Tuilagi, Sailosi Tagicakibau and David Lemi so I would go as far as to say he probably wont get anymore game time for Samoa unless its against the Western Force and unlikely hell be at the RWC.
I hear your argument regarding Helleur but I cannot agree with you. As I said if you watched him on that particular play he wasn't watching the referee at all he was watching the ball and Taumalolo yet he STILL gave no effort to try and recover the ball or try and stop him defensively. It was a lazy, uncommitted and lacked any endevour and it wasn't the only time in the match. I will watch him closely though when he comes on during the Wallaby game, and I hope he can come through and make good on the faith that you and the selectors have in him and show that he does rightfully belong in the Manu Samoa team.

Last edited:
Not saying that I have faith in Helleur but after reading the other comments I have summed up the facts.
1) Vailoaloa, who has impressed to a certain extent, is injured and therefore wasn't considered
2) Uale Mai is way out of form and is not passing well from the ruck, which is his main job. From what i've seen of Uale the ball meets the player at the same time as the defender or misses the player altogether. I got mad respect for our 7's great but at 15's test level its a different beast.
3) Helleur ,on debut, made few mistakes as opposed to Uale who really disappointed me against Fiji when given the chance to start.

We have experienced guys like Levi and Schwalger co. that often drop the ball or make silly mistakes so we need to give the 1 cap guy some support despite him looking less than afakasi.

Stick together boys. Fa'amalosi Blue

Looks like Digby wants to thrash us, well I guess thats Australian Samoans for ya...understandable though, in a way.
lol@ that comment..

I hear you uso, thats AUstralian Samoans for ya..different bunch over there ay? lol

Nah jokes no beef to our Australian bron Samoans...we are all one on here.

Go the manu!!

I thought Digby Ioane was a New Zealand born Tongan?

Anyway... Samoa might take it. That backline is pretty good but they need to dominate the set-piece.

lol@ that comment..

I hear you uso, thats AUstralian Samoans for ya..different bunch over there ay? lol

Nah jokes no beef to our Australian bron Samoans...we are all one on here.

Go the manu!!
Hey Im half samoan Australian .. Were you not ranting on the other day about how people shouldnt stereotype and generalize Samoans?? haha.

Latest posts