• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Depth at 9

O

ollybarkley

Does it not worry any other Wallaby fans that to finish the try nations the Wallabies are turning to a slow serviced, slow moving 30 something year old Sam Cordingly, who has never really been in the set-up for any length of time? Do we not have any younger alternatives that we could turn to? Almost makes you wonder if Chris Whitaker or Gregan were contacted about perhaps lacing them up. Even Valentine would be prefered in my opinion.

Amazing how much depth we have outside though, with the likes of Gerrard and those people not getting selected.

Australian rugby is largely run by politics, they can't seem to get rid of the players who are aging and no longer have the ability. Form isn't an indicator of selection in most cases, mostly it is 'who played there last' or you'd have to think maybe the selection is on who is more of a good bloke eg. the selection of Lote the last two years (excempting this year) and the continual selection of the jellybean front rowers.

Well, Luke Burgess was pretty good. A pity he's still young and rough around the edges.

Well, Luke Burgess was pretty good. A pity he's still young and rough around the edges.
[/b]
I take it that he is injured considering Brett Sheehan is on the bench. (Tahs stole him from WA btw)

Burgess is out for the rest of the Tri-Nations with a knee injury... needs to work on his pass...

Josh Holmes was tipped to be Gregan's long term replacement but ended up having a fairly crappy year in the Super 14... he was the IRB's U19 player of the year a couple of years ago... had a blnder last year, and hopefully he can return to form... needs to work on his defence... at his best, between him and Burgess Australia would be blessed at scrumhalf...

Sheehan has never impressed me but has been great in club rugby... but I don't know if that's anything to brag about when you look at the poor quality of Sydney club rugby...

Josh Valentine has been screwed over by the Tahs and is now on his way to the Force... will get his opportunity next year to prove himself... he always impressed me more than Sheehan...

Phibbs should've gone on the end of year 2006 Wallaby tour after having a blinder in the "inaugural" APC (when the Aus Super 14 teams played each other)... somehow got overlooked for Sheehan... started this year really well and then lost his way... doesn't have the quickest pass of the bunch, but is a great defender and is pretty good at linking his forwards and backs... but, not too many years left in him...

Ben Lucas had a great year for the Reds... probably should be in the Wallabies squad over Sheehan, but managed to injure himself before he could impress in the PNC...

Chris Whitaker was loved by the Sydney press... but never deserved to start for the Wallabies...

Despite being hated by the Sydney press, Gregan deserved every test he played in... he was consistently the best Australian scrumhalf up until his retirement... while he may not have been as good as earlier days there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he was basically unchallenged for the position... Cordingley did well but was always injured...

Oh... one of Gregan's biggest criticisms from the Sydney press was his passing... but you never heard Stephen Larkham complain... and unlike Burgess (who the media loves) - his passes always went where they were supposed to go... it doesn't matter how fast the pass is if it doesn't go where it's supposed to...

I have to agree with you...

Was never really that impressed with Burgess this test season. Thought his passing was brutal at times, and merely adequate at best. Do like his running and defence though, and he seems to be able to run his pack decently enough. Wouldn't quit on him, but would most certainly be getting him to work on his service and option-taking.

Sheehan and Valentine would be my preferences for the rest of the 3N and the November tour because they are prospects that you can work with for the future. Cordingly isn't and in my opinion, this was a poor choice from Deans, which is surprising because he is usually very good with player development and identification. Look at how long Canterbury have been feeding the All Blacks their inside backs....Mehrthens, Carter, Ellis, Marshall, Aaron Mauger, Stephen Brett (not yet but soon), Casey Laulau, McDonald, Bateman (soon I think)....

And unfortunately politics is in every rugby hierarchy I know of...even here in little ol Canada.

Sam Cordingley has the best pass out of all of the Australian half backs, and has the experience to be able to handle the pressure cooker atmosphere of South Africa. Having him on the field gives Gits & Co the best opportunity to pull off some magic because of his consistency.

Valentine is rubbish and barely got 10 minutes of rugby this year in the Super 14, and he didn't do much when he was up in Qld, so I don't see how you can possibly rate him about any other half back from Australia. If they want to start bringing through young players they're on the right track with Burgess, even though he can't pass under pressure. The other young player they should bring through based on this season's S14 would be Lucas, which as was said above, should have made the squad over Sheehan but for an injury in the PNC.

Sam Cordingley has the best pass out of all of the Australian half backs, and has the experience to be able to handle the pressure cooker atmosphere of South Africa. Having him on the field gives Gits & Co the best opportunity to pull off some magic because of his consistency.

Valentine is rubbish and barely got 10 minutes of rugby this year in the Super 14, and he didn't do much when he was up in Qld, so I don't see how you can possibly rate him about any other half back from Australia. If they want to start bringing through young players they're on the right track with Burgess, even though he can't pass under pressure. The other young player they should bring through based on this season's S14 would be Lucas, which as was said above, should have made the squad over Sheehan but for an injury in the PNC.
[/b]

Fair enough about Valentine, and that Lucas would be a good investment as well. I do agree about Lucas and think that he, Burgess and Sheehan will be fighting for the #9 spot for the next few years.

Did anyone rate Henjak before he showed himself to be a complete moron? I never really saw him play but I thought a lot of people rated him.

[/b]

Fair enough about Valentine, and that Lucas would be a good investment as well. I do agree about Lucas and think that he, Burgess and Sheehan will be fighting for the #9 spot for the next few years.

Did anyone rate Henjak before he showed himself to be a complete moron? I never really saw him play but I thought a lot of people rated him.

i never rated henjak. the first time i saw him, one half of his head was clipped to number 1 and the other side was sticking up in all sorts of funny directions and dyed pink.

from that moment, i though he was a moron, more recent events have confirmed this.

Sam Cordingley is a fantastic bloke and is a fantastic scrum-half. He is easily the best we have to offer at the moment, he makes a world of difference. The amount of work he puts into his passing from the ground is phenomenal, and really deserves his spot in the Wallabies squad at the moment. Behind him, Brett Sheehan had a fantastic 10 minutes or so when he came on against the Republic, and probably deserves the no.20 spot.

Cordinlys just old and slow.

Burgess brought some enthusiasm Gregan lacked in the end of his career and even if he had an ordinary pass at times, he was the right selection and we probably missed him for the SA tour and the last tri nations game.

Bring in Ben Lucas.

This was Cordingley's last year for the Wallabies.

And I'm glad to see him go after that terrible effort last week.

Latest posts