• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Rugby Championship

R

redunderthebed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_Championship

There is going to be eight teams to start.

Until im proven otherwise ill see this as a bad clone of the Currie cup and the NPC. <_<

The announced teams (with names etc)
Sydney Fleet
Central Coast Rays
Ballymore Tornadoes-Brisbane
East Coast Aces-gold coast

and teams from
Western Sydney
Canberra
Melbourne
Perth

Melbourne has announced a coach and i haven't heard much from the others.

The ABC has the rights to broadcast games over ABC and ABC 2 (digital channel),which is great because it will be on FTA not pay tv.

Starts april the 11th.

I've been looking forward to this comp since it was first properly in the works at the start of '06...Finally us free-to-air TV watchers will get to see some rugby apart from only wallabies tests.

I've just read all the wiki articles...sounds great! thanks for the post.
who will you be supporting?

Good question o'roth, i shall watch and see whom i like the way they play.That said i like Central Coast i went up there for a soccer/football match the people are great and the stadium is top notch. :)

First and foremost, I'd like to say that most of these teams have Gay names. I mean Sydney Fleet, FFS cant they come up with a better name than the Fleet or the Aces.

I like the Central Coast Rays. It sounds tough, it sounds hard, it sounds rugby.

Go the RAYS!!!.

i wounder if we will get any of this over in new zealand. we get the NRL so i dont see much different really.

but i doubt it

Think back to the Brumbies-Reds game, the Waratahs-Force game.

Now that was Super 14 competition, and you want to watch their Club competition. :eek:

If those two inter-state games wasnt boring enough for you, then the APC is definitely for you.

Wait don't you lot from down under allready have something like the currie cup or NPC ?

I mean if not then, how in the hell do you people work ?.
Even with our uber shite sports politics we still understand the need to grow rugby players, you need stepping stones from school > club > Vodacom cup > Currie cup > Super 14 > Springboks.

:huh:

First and foremost, I'd like to say that most of these teams have Gay names. I mean Sydney Fleet, FFS cant they come up with a better name than the Fleet or the Aces.

I like the Central Coast Rays. It sounds tough, it sounds hard, it sounds rugby.

Go the RAYS!!!.
[/b]

Yes the fleet reminds of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFq-CGpZAZI

:D

Im sure western sydney etc can come up with a decent name. :)

The latest team....

633099891990788750.jpg

That'll get the kiwiz toey

Wait don't you lot from down under allready have something like the currie cup or NPC ?

I mean if not then, how in the hell do you people work ?.
Even with our uber shite sports politics we still understand the need to grow rugby players, you need stepping stones from school > club > Vodacom cup > Currie cup > Super 14 > Springboks.

:huh:

[/b]

Well Boggle...there are two main ways that people get to the top in Aust.
  • Half the new players nowadays get contracts whilst they are at school or before they go into club rugby with Super 14 team development programs e.g Brumbies Bolters, Brumbies u18's, NSW Waratahs Academy etc. (school > super14 team development > super 14 > wallabies)
  • The other half go through the whole thing (school > sydney club rugby/queensland club rugby > super 14 development > super 14 > wallabies)
Now there is the ARC...the ARC goes in between club rugby and super 14.

AUSTRALIAN RUGBY IS UP **** CREEK.

Sorry guys, as a mod have to advise to keep things a bit low key about the naming of the teams.
Everyone knows that Sydney has had a long history of homosexuality and well the Navy has been a big part of this.

So guys... please keep it low key.

Can't wait for this to start, will finally be able to see some of the other up and coming youngsters in Aus.

Rams eh they used to have an super league team (RL) called the Adelaide Rams. :D

Ah come on Dumbo i was just taking the ****. :)

Just a slight change in support.

I'm now officially supporting the WS RAMS!!!

Go the RAMS.

Just a slight change in support.

I'm now officially supporting the WS RAMS!!!

Go the RAMS.
[/b]

I knew you would like the name. :lol:

Im tipping towards Central Coast tbh. :)

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=366390

Perth Spirit to be WA rugby team in ARC
21st March 2007, 14:48 WST

Click here to find out more!
Perth Spirit will be the name of Western Australia's team in the new Australian Rugby Championship starting in August.

The team will be coached by Western Force assistant John Mulvihill and will play four games in Perth at Members Equity Stadium.

Rugby WA chief executive Peter O'Meara said the chosen name was one of 20 considered.

"We didn't choose an animal or plant in the name because we wanted it to reflect a passionate and proudly parochial body of people, West Aussies," O'Meara said.

He hoped the traditional hoop design jersey in the state colours of black and gold would resonate with WA rugby diehards.

"The ARC is designed to bridge the gap between Super 14 and club rugby, to provide a pathway for club players to make the next step," he said.

"But it's also about tapping into the rugby heartland, the grassroots supporter who has been following the game for years."

Mulvihill said he was excited about the opportunities the ARC would offer local rugby players.

"There are some very good local players who have the potential to go further and the ARC provides them with that opportunity," he said.

Mulvihill said his 28-man squad would not be finalised until the completion of the Super 14 and after the Wallabies squad had been selected.

The eight-round competition runs from August to October and, as well as the Spirit, involves one team each from Victoria and the ACT, three from NSW and two from Queensland.
AAP
[/b]

Not a bad name and the black and gold hoops would look good. :)

It is taking shape with only Victoria and ACT yet announce teams. :)

http://www.rugby.com.au/fixtures_results/a...eams,54750.html

Here is a complete list of teams. :)

Latest posts