• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 15/16 - Round 6

Having a shocker is he.

Nope.

He wasn't fantastic, but still better than some of the starting FH's around the prem if we're honest.
Trouble was that he probably deserved to be taken off in favor of that Welsh feller and he wasn't.

I think Watson is really starting to find his feet at FB - some of his runs are exceptional.
And I thoroughly enjoyed watching Harrison play - just the 19 tackles.

Last edited:
Oh Deary me indeed it was all going swimmingly to begin with, shame to not even get the losing bonus point, looks like the good days are truly over now, welcome to the prem worcester :/

2 wins out of 6 for Bath now? This really is getting out of hand.

Agreed, Chippie. I've seen Nowell beaten in a couple of foot races already this season. I love what he brings but he's not an international winger for me. He could be a very good 15, but I just think Watson could be stellar there. It might even be that 13 is Nowell's natural home.

Funnily enough I commented elsewhere on quite how easily he was run down by a centre a few weeks ago. Much as I like and respect him as a player, it doesn't seem right for an international winger. Given Exeter's respective options at 13 and 15, if he does move, I think it's more likely that it will be to 13. Personally I think that his attributes (quick feet, excellent runner in traffic, decent under a high ball) are more suited to 15 where he played his junior rugby and would worry that his distribution might be a let down at 13.

Thoughts on Watson at 15? I know he played age groups at full back and I'm hopeful that over the next couple seasons Eddie Jones will see him as a good replacement to brown when he gets into the twilight zone. 10 percent improvement under the high ball. 10 percent improvement for positioning and he could be world class in that position.
What do we think?

Ive thought for a while Watson would be Englands 15 sooner rather that later as ,for me ,hes potentially world class as a FB. I'm not sure Eddie jones would view him as a replacement for Brown, as Brown hasn't been picked by EJ, what with the slate being wiped clean. Assuming everyone starts on level playing field, and Watson continues to
play like he is ,he would be my choice as FB for 6N. Nowell and Rokoduguni would be my wingers .

Didn't see the game, but from twitter chat it seems like Slade has a serious ankle injury (possible break?) so I'd imagine that Nowell will move to 13 with Woodburn coming onto the wing.

Hell of a result for Chiefs, though!

Ford's just overplaying because the pack is so poor. Did any of you see how poor Webber was today? He's decent in the loose and at tackling for sure, but his set piece work at the moment leaves alot to be desired. Thomas and Auterac are hit and miss too. That being said, Brooked is destroying teams at the moment so I don't think it mattered much today, Brookes and Haywood are winning games by themselves on pure power.

Didn't see the game, but from twitter chat it seems like Slade has a serious ankle injury (possible break?) so I'd imagine that Nowell will move to 13 with Woodburn coming onto the wing.

Hell of a result for Chiefs, though!

Campangero is knocking around too. Not a bad replacement to have.

Completely forgot they'd signed Campagnaro - he really is a great player.

Funnily enough I commented elsewhere on quite how easily he was run down by a centre a few weeks ago. Much as I like and respect him as a player, it doesn't seem right for an international winger. Given Exeter's respective options at 13 and 15, if he does move, I think it's more likely that it will be to 13. Personally I think that his attributes (quick feet, excellent runner in traffic, decent under a high ball) are more suited to 15 where he played his junior rugby and would worry that his distribution might be a let down at 13.

Personally I'm a huge fan of having a second distributor at 15; where ever he plays, he should be encouraged to work on his distribution.

I think it's safe to say that every single player is going to be expected to markedly improve their basic skill levels.

Not being able to exploit two-on-ones isn't going to go down well.

Gawd, I just watched the Sale game and we were as bad as we were good.
So many silly penalties given away, but equally played some good heads up rugby at times.
That Cipriani chip was sublime - considering Slade's injury, Ford's shaky game and Farrell being in Dubai - if this is the first round Eddie Jones is really paying attention to then it will have done his England chances the world of good.
Mike Haley was quality for Nev Edwards' second try - step/break was ace and then his pass to Edwards was class, especially considering it was off the cuff and he was being tackled at the time.
I'd love to see him in the Saxons, if only to see him face the Barbarians. In a free flowing game like that he could produce some cracking runs/plays.
Kvesic was, as always class. Beaumont a little quieter than he has been in the past, but still playing good rugby - think it's more that teams know to keep an eye on him now, compared to when he first burst onto the scene.
Taylor was class. Few creaks at the lineout, but everything else was superb. Can really tell he used to be a 7, won some great turnovers at the ruck, and his hooking was as good as you could want. Oh how I hope the rumours of him going to Wasps are false :(

It's a shame we couldn't get our maul working properly - usually one of the strongest parts of our game. The one we really did get rolling did result in Hibbard being binned, but (in my biased opinion) should've been a penalty try. I don't see how hauling it down on the line could be anything other - the referee acknowledged that Hibbard stopped it as he binned him, so surely he could see that it was heading over the line at a rate of knots?

Gawd, I just watched the Sale game and we were as bad as we were good.
So many silly penalties given away, but equally played some good heads up rugby at times.
That Cipriani chip was sublime - considering Slade's injury, Ford's shaky game and Farrell being in Dubai - if this is the first round Eddie Jones is really paying attention to then it will have done his England chances the world of good.
Mike Haley was quality for Nev Edwards' second try - step/break was ace and then his pass to Edwards was class, especially considering it was off the cuff and he was being tackled at the time.
I'd love to see him in the Saxons, if only to see him face the Barbarians. In a free flowing game like that he could produce some cracking runs/plays.
Kvesic was, as always class. Beaumont a little quieter than he has been in the past, but still playing good rugby - think it's more that teams know to keep an eye on him now, compared to when he first burst onto the scene.
Taylor was class. Few creaks at the lineout, but everything else was superb. Can really tell he used to be a 7, won some great turnovers at the ruck, and his hooking was as good as you could want. Oh how I hope the rumours of him going to Wasps are false :(

It's a shame we couldn't get our maul working properly - usually one of the strongest parts of our game. The one we really did get rolling did result in Hibbard being binned, but (in my biased opinion) should've been a penalty try. I don't see how hauling it down on the line could be anything other - the referee acknowledged that Hibbard stopped it as he binned him, so surely he could see that it was heading over the line at a rate of knots?

Trouble is you just can't afford to pick an unreliable kicker at international level. I'd be more than happy if we managed to find an alternative kicker to play at the same time. Maybe slade at 12/13? Or god forbid farrell at 12

Yeah, I can agree to that.
Farrell would still be my first choice 10 going into the 6N, but Cipriani would be on the bench fo sho.

Not sure where Slade would fit into my plans - potentially starting at 13. It's Joseph vs Slade (and kinda vs Daly - be interesting to see whether Jones brings him into the EPS, or another 12, as we don't really have any other than Barritt, who I would be surprised if Jones stuck with longer than he had to). Tough to pick one, especially as Joseph has been out for a while. He is genuinely class, but then so is Slade.
With Burrell playing 12 for his club I'd only consider him there for England.

Yeah, I can agree to that.
Farrell would still be my first choice 10 going into the 6N, but Cipriani would be on the bench fo sho.

Not sure where Slade would fit into my plans - potentially starting at 13. It's Joseph vs Slade (and kinda vs Daly - be interesting to see whether Jones brings him into the EPS, or another 12, as we don't really have any other than Barritt, who I would be surprised if Jones stuck with longer than he had to). Tough to pick one, especially as Joseph has been out for a while. He is genuinely class, but then so is Slade.
With Burrell playing 12 for his club I'd only consider him there for England.

Who's your 12 in all this?

Also, would you actually consider Burrell for England at all?

Who's your 12 in all this?

Also, would you actually consider Burrell for England at all?

Genuinely have no idea.
Ideally I'd like a big guy there, as our 13 options are all smaller. However I'm not sure if Sam Hill is ready, Tuilagi is injured and hasn't really played there, so that leaves Burrell.

I'd absolutely have him in the EPS - I'd have taken him to the RWC, and I think he's started this season really well.
Other than Burrell who is there? Eastmond? Not had the best start to the season, and if Ford is our 10 then I'm terrified at the prospect, TBH.
Slade, in theory, but he's not played/playing there for his club so I wouldn't consider him an option. Also looks like he's going to be out for a couple of months.
Twelvetrees is playing OK for Gloucester but still looks really limited/blinkered in his playing.
Barritt....I dunno. I've always been a fan, but over the course of the RWC I really started to dislike him. Could be a stop gap for Hill (i.e. give Hill the Italy game in the 6N and see how he goes, with Barritt being incumbent) but not really who I'd look at going forwards.
Struggling to think of anyone beyond that.

I'm hoping Mauger has been having intensive training sessions with Tuilagi, and that he comes back in a few weeks playing fantastically well at 12 for Tigers having had a Nonu-esque transformation.

Latest posts