• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 17/18 - Round 10

So you didn't watch the game.
Not this week. Actually only caught the Chiefs/Bath match this week. But I'm more than familiar enough with Will Skelton to be completely unsurprised by any news that he played dirty and/or crap. I've seen 5 years of Super Rugby and seen him thrust into an undeserved role on the Wallabies for three years where Cheika kept trying to play him purely because of which club he played for.

Not this week. Actually only caught the Chiefs/Bath match this week. But I'm more than familiar enough with Will Skelton to be completely unsurprised by any news that he played dirty and/or crap. I've seen 5 years of Super Rugby and seen him thrust into an undeserved role on the Wallabies for three years where Cheika kept trying to play him purely because of which club he played for.

I'm not talking about other games with Skelton. But when has pulling a shirt, at the height of the number become a high tackle? And the TMO gave it. There has been a lot of awful decisions made this weekend, and the TMOs are not helping.

Was at the Ricoh on Saturday...not sure what was more sickening: the Tannoy guy or the refereeing performance.

Shame both sides weren't at full strength though. Always a cracker of a game on a very good pitch.

Was at the Ricoh on Saturday...not sure what was more sickening: the Tannoy guy or the refereeing performance.

Shame both sides weren't at full strength though. Always a cracker of a game on a very good pitch.

Didn't see the first hour, what was bad about the refereeing? Last twenty was pretty uncontroversial

Didn't see the first hour, what was bad about the refereeing? Last twenty was pretty uncontroversial

Apart from Robsons 'brilliant turnover' on the try line which was not legal and the obvious forward pass for your winning Try.

Apart from Robsons 'brilliant turnover' on the try line which was not legal and the obvious forward pass for your winning Try.

Sorry what? Cipriani's pass to myall? That was pretty much the most legitimate pass I've ever seen.

Also if we're talking about try line antics what about ben youngs' hands in the ruck towards the end when the ball just happened to pop out and was then snapped up by a tiger player - definite penalty which would have given us the lead.

Sorry what? Cipriani's pass to myall? That was pretty much the most legitimate pass I've ever seen.

Also if we're talking about try line antics what about ben youngs' hands in the ruck towards the end when the ball just happened to pop out and was then snapped up by a tiger player - definite penalty which would have given us the lead.

Around the 66th minute I believe. Holmes going for his hat trick, robson slides in off his feet and just takes the ball. BT put the clip online, not hard to find.

Line out for Dalys try- not straight.

Believe it was Haskell's pass in the build up to the winning try.

Also Wade's no arm tackle on Evans in the corner by the try line in the first half.

Deliberate knock-on by De Jong..

Anyway it was a shame both sides were missing Big players.

...and you try to tell the young Sale fans of today that ... and they won't believe you.

Around the 66th minute I believe. Holmes going for his hat trick, robson slides in off his feet and just takes the ball. BT put the clip online, not hard to find.

Line out for Dalys try- not straight.

Believe it was Haskell's pass in the build up to the winning try.

Also Wade's no arm tackle on Evans in the corner by the try line in the first half.

Deliberate knock-on by De Jong..

Anyway it was a shame both sides were missing Big players.

Lineout for Daly's try over 15m, and no less straight than 90% of the lineouts in that game, it looked fairly straight to me regardless (even on the rewatch), some far more obvious examples let go.

Hask managed to stay in front of the ball whilst running, so a fair chance it was just momentum and was flat out the hands, and there were 2 phases after, so it couldn't be checked after.

Wades' no arm tackle was just bad luck with a step, meaning his wrapping arm got bashed back, you really want that pinged? If that deserves pinging, then Cole deserves an after game yellow for his shoulder charge on Cips.

Deliberate knock on was penalised, you expect a yellow when there's still 2 cover defenders outside him? It was a harsh enough penalty to start with.

Crawling on the ground when tackled for Tigers' first try, should have been a penalty to Wasps, not a try to Tigers.

This is fun :D.

Refereeing was awful though. Both Robson and Youngs should have seen yellow cards.

Deliberate knock on was penalised, you expect a yellow when there's still 2 cover defenders outside him? It was a harsh enough penalty to start with.
If you want consistency: yes.
Defenders should be considered for a PT or not, not really for a yellow. FdK was yellowed for a legitimate intercept attempt with defenders outside him.

If you want consistency: yes.
Defenders should be considered for a PT or not, not really for a yellow. FdK was yellowed for a legitimate intercept attempt with defenders outside him.

Are you saying any deliberate knock on should simply be a straight yellow? The FdK one is not exactly the same situation is it... if Faf hadn't done that, the wuss player would have run it straight it, seeing as they were only 5m from the tryline and Solomona was on the outside man.

That said, I don't think the FdK one was a deliberate knock on.

Lineout for Daly's try over 15m, and no less straight than 90% of the lineouts in that game, it looked fairly straight to me regardless (even on the rewatch), some far more obvious examples let go.

Hask managed to stay in front of the ball whilst running, so a fair chance it was just momentum and was flat out the hands, and there were 2 phases after, so it couldn't be checked after.

Wades' no arm tackle was just bad luck with a step, meaning his wrapping arm got bashed back, you really want that pinged? If that deserves pinging, then Cole deserves an after game yellow for his shoulder charge on Cips.

Crawling on the ground when tackled for Tigers' first try, should have been a penalty to Wasps, not a try to Tigers.

This is fun :D.

Refereeing was awful though. Both Robson and Youngs should have seen yellow cards.

Thanks for this - I couldn't be bothered to respond myself so was hoping you'd show up!

Haskells pass drifted forward but as you say was several phases back. It's also not why we won - maybe if Bassett then ran straight in to score, but in reality the reason we scored that try was A) Cipriani doing what he does B) Cole not sticking to his man and C) Veainu not being able to tackle. Tiggers only have themselves to blame for that.

Are you saying any deliberate knock on should simply be a straight yellow?
It pretty much HAS been called like that for the last 3 years or so, if the palms are face down.

It's part of why I wanted to slap the hell out of some of my fellow countrymen complaining about a few select calls online (in general... not here) over the last month.

It pretty much HAS been called like that for the last 3 years or so, if the palms are face down.

It's part of why I wanted to slap the hell out of some of my fellow countrymen complaining about a few select calls online (in general... not here) over the last month.

Yes, face down being key. Both examples we're discussing though (Faf and Juan) both knocked the ball up, and both on another day could have potentially had that ball stick, or deflect in a way that they could juggle and catch.

Are you saying any deliberate knock on should simply be a straight yellow?

Not necessarily, I'd rather just have consistency.
I understand referees have to make gut calls but it's a lottery at the moment, there needs to be more consistency over decisions.

Not necessarily, I'd rather just have consistency.
I understand referees have to make gut calls but it's a lottery at the moment, there needs to be more consistency over decisions.

In my mind the FdK call was wrong. You'd prefer consistently wrong calls? However, once that's decided to be a deliberate knock on, then I completely understand why it's a yellow. It's 6m from the try line, with a player cutting a line against the defence, who if he'd taken it, would have had a great chance to score.

Latest posts