• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

AWJ and Tipuric retire from international rugby

Much as I've sniped at him, there is no denying AWJ was an effective operator, especially he could wrap refs around his little finger. Tipuric in the early 2010's was one of the best 7s in the world. AWJ had definitely dropped off recently and his retirement isn't a surprise, Tips is a bit more surprising.

I've not verified this, but apparently AWJ has played in 20% of all Wales' matches (1881-2023)
According to Wikipedia Wales have played 778 test matches and AWJ has 158 Welsh caps, which makes it...carry the 5, add the 3, multiply by 0 metres made and we have 20.3%. So yeah purely in terms of overall Welsh test matches it's true, though obviously he wasn't eligible for some of those games as he only turned 18 in 1905.

Seems like odd timing.
Yep. Can only think they'd been given the heads up that they wouldn't make the cut for France (both of them - unlikely) or have otherwise fallen out with Gatland.

Consecutive timing of announcements obviously planned. Why does the Javid / Sunak playbook spring to mind?

Doesn't sound like either is going abroad to chase the money, so very strange.

Consecutive timing of announcements obviously planned.
And seems to not have been planned with the WRU, who had no press releases etc. ready so they (and the media) were reacting to it in real time rather than getting rolling out articles and graphics they already had

According to Wikipedia Wales have played 778 test matches and AWJ has 158 Welsh caps, which makes it...carry the 5, add the 3, multiply by 0 metres made and we have 20.3%. So yeah purely in terms of overall Welsh test matches it's true, though obviously he wasn't eligible for some of those games as he only turned 18 in 1905.
Kind of shows how many more international games there are now

Feel a bit sad for AWG, really weird time for such an announcement (if it's true)

An attempted Roy of the rovers return wouldn't surprise me at all tbh.
Doesn't mean Gatland would pick him for Wales. I am assuming of course he's had a quiet word with him before he made his announcement with JT. Better this way than what he did to BOD.

Doesn't mean Gatland would pick him for Wales. I am assuming of course he's had a quiet word with him before he made his announcement with JT. Better this way than what he did to BOD.
Yeah but what if, and I do appreciate this is highly unlikely, Wales don't look very good in the warm-ups, pick up an injury or two and panic?

I just don't get why they were picked for the 6 Nations if they weren't going to picked for the World Cup. Or alternatively why would they make themselves available for the 6 nations and not the world cup.

knives-out-it-makes-no-damn-sense.gif

Yeah but what if, and I do appreciate this is highly unlikely, Wales don't look very good in the warm-ups, pick up an injury or two and panic?
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts…..

Don't know is your answer. Just have to wait and see. Gatland did giving them the heads up that he wasn't going to pick them so
they could then retire on their own terms makes the most sense to me.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts…..

Don't know is your answer. Just have to wait and see. Gatland did giving them the heads up that he wasn't going to pick them so
they could then retire on their own terms makes the most sense to me.
You're probably correct yeah, but I don't trust none of them!

I just don't get why they were picked for the 6 Nations if they weren't going to picked for the World Cup. Or alternatively why would they make themselves available for the 6 nations and not the world cup.

knives-out-it-makes-no-damn-sense.gif
The first scenario is what makes me believe it's a player choice. They were in the plans a few months ago. What has changed?

I could see a new contract or just not wanting to go to France and get your ass kicked as a reason they'd pull out of international rugby.

Latest posts