• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BaaBaas

D

davidpugh78

Just seen the latest line up for the Baabaas game vs All Blacks at Twickers on Dec 5th.

Loads of World Cup winning Saffers - i just bought tickets on Ticketmaster too! Found this on you tube too - awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuEf_ahQ74

Matt Giteau - Western Force & Australia
Bryan Habana - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Jack Fourie - Golden Lions & South Africa
Fourie du Preez - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Juan Smith - Cheetahs & South Africa
George Smith - ACT Brumbies & Australia
Pierre Spies- Blue Bulls & South Africa
Bakkies Botha - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Victor Matfield - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Bismark du Plessis - Natal Sharks & South Africa
Tendai Mtawarira -The Beast - Natal Sharks & South Africa
Jannie Du Plessis - Natal Sharks & South Africa

Dave

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dave78 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Matt Giteau - Western Force & Australia
Bryan Habana - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Jack Fourie - Golden Lions & South Africa
Fourie du Preez - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Juan Smith - Cheetahs & South Africa
George Smith - ACT Brumbies & Australia
Pierre Spies- Blue Bulls & South Africa
Bakkies Botha - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Victor Matfield - Blue Bulls & South Africa
Bismark du Plessis - Natal Sharks & South Africa
Tendai Mtawarira -The Beast - Natal Sharks & South Africa
Jannie Du Plessis - Natal Sharks & South Africa[/b]

:huh:

If I remember correctly, Stirling MOrtlock was also invited and accepted?

What's with it being another tri nations fixture? I want some NH guys to add flavour or at least a few argies or islanders. Hernandez is playing Currie cup so I am sure he would be free to play if the NH players aren't available due to club commitments. Would this be the reason Mallett selected no NH players or is he just keen on SA players because that what he knows?

This team needs some diversity IMO. Parisse or some French flair etc.

Who would you think will be the bolter? I was thinking Mallett would pick a SA bolter in maybe de Jongh or Potgieter but it looks like the centres and loosies are taken care of.

I'm sure Melhor Time can suggest some Argentine superstars to join in.

I'd love to see Nalaga and Fitzgerald given a run out on the wings.

I remember last year a BaaBaas game that was entirely SH guys and then Shane Williams.

I lvoe the Barbarians. Get some more random players on board and I'll be happy.

If you were in charge of a NH club, would you release your players for this game?

Exactly.

Pity. Imagine if Nick Mallett had free reign to select any players to play NZ.

Well, wishing aside, Hernandez should be in as he is now on SH time. Even though most of the Islanders play in Europe I am sure there would be some exciting players at home in say Fiji or Tonga if they were only bothered to look. The match definately has a TriNations fixture feel to it at the moment and I had enough of that for one year..

Agreed, I'd like to see people such as O'Driscol and Wilkinson, as well as other big names, but NZ vs SA players is hardly an exciting match up considering it has heppened all ready three times this year.

I would love to see:

- Juan Martín Hernandez (at fullback)
- Patricio Albacete (although the peerless second row partnership of Botha and Matfield would make it virtually impossible)
- Either Juan Martín Fernandez Lobbe or Juan Manuel Leguizamon (back rowers)
- Marcos Ayerza (loosehead prop, although he's played tighthead for Argentina as well)
- Gonzalo Tiesi (a centre in the BOD fashion)

And it'd be nice to see Horacio Agulla (fullback / wing), Marcelo Bosch (fly-half / centre) and Gonzalo Camacho (wing) as well.

That aside, I've got to say that I'm not quite interested in this particular match - as it was said before, it has a 3N fixture feel to it and I've had enough watching those teams playing 9999 times each other this year. It'd be better to see some Pacific Islanders and Argentinians taking the field.

It's hardly a Baa Baas game. It looks just like another money making exercise to me.

THe baa baas have lost their appeal. This match should be a showcase event not a test match. Some Argies should definately be there as well, especially considering the invitation to play in a reworked 3N tourney. Hell, I'd invite Fiji and Tonga, Samoa, Kenya and Zimbabwe as well and have aech play the other only once. That still makes for 9 fixtures but lessens the repitition and makes SA vs NZ special again. AUS and NZ can also feel the travel bug as we do in that case :p

Too many fixtures, especially AUS facing NZ 4 times a year! No flavour to the Baa baas. At least the Bokke have added another midweek fixture to their EOY tour. That at least is a throwback to years when rugby was special.

PS Have there been any response from Argentina re accepting, also waiting to hear if their top players are willing to have a pay cut. Hernandez did but I would be surprised if everyone else climbed on board. Pity Hernandez didn't come to the Stormers and play fullback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Oct 1 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's hardly a Baa Baas game. It looks just like another money making exercise to me.[/b]
That's exactly what the main idea of all professional games is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Oct 1 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Oct 1 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hardly a Baa Baas game. It looks just like another money making exercise to me.[/b]
That's exactly what the main idea of all professionals game is.
[/b][/quote]

Which is fair enough but not what the Barbarian's ethos should be about. If that is the primary cause for the Barbarian name to be used then I would advocate hanging up the Black & White jerseys and inventing another name for invitational sides to play under.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 1 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
THe baa baas have lost their appeal. This match should be a showcase event not a test match. Some Argies should definately be there as well, especially considering the invitation to play in a reworked 3N tourney. Hell, I'd invite Fiji and Tonga, Samoa, Kenya and Zimbabwe as well and have aech play the other only once. That still makes for 9 fixtures but lessens the repitition and makes SA vs NZ special again. AUS and NZ can also feel the travel bug as we do in that case :p

Too many fixtures, especially AUS facing NZ 4 times a year! No flavour to the Baa baas. At least the Bokke have added another midweek fixture to their EOY tour. That at least is a throwback to years when rugby was special.

PS Have there been any response from Argentina re accepting, also waiting to hear if their top players are willing to have a pay cut. Hernandez did but I would be surprised if everyone else climbed on board. Pity Hernandez didn't come to the Stormers and play fullback.[/b]
So the scores would look like this for NZ for example...(I don't know why you left out Namibia as it is Africa's WC team apart from SA)...

NZ vs Fiji - 60-25
NZ vs Samoa - 88-10
NZ vs Tonga - 101-13
NZ vs Australia - 22-19
NZ vs Kenya - 201-0
NZ vs Zimbabwe - 189-0
NZ vs South Africa - 21-31
NZ vs Argentina - 40-34

Sorry, how is this going to make the Tri Nations (Now the 8 nations I guess), be a more interesting competition, I mean the scores may offend a few teams, but come on...how is that exciting, it will lower the level of play so dramatically. 2 tests a year under the likley new system is fair and will still make SA vs NZ and NZ vs Aus and Aus vs SA remain special.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 1 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 1 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PS Have there been any response from Argentina re accepting, also waiting to hear if their top players are willing to have a pay cut. Hernandez did but I would be surprised if everyone else climbed on board. Pity Hernandez didn't come to the Stormers and play fullback.[/b]
So the scores would look like this for NZ for example...(I don't know why you left out Namibia as it is Africa's WC team apart from SA)...

NZ vs Fiji - 60-25
NZ vs Samoa - 88-10
NZ vs Tonga - 101-13
NZ vs Australia - 22-19
NZ vs Kenya - 201-0
NZ vs Zimbabwe - 189-0
NZ vs Argentina - 40-34

Sorry, how is this going to make the Tri Nations (Now the 8 nations I guess), be a more interesting competition, I mean the scores may offend a few teams, but come on...how is that exciting, it will lower the level of play so dramatically. 2 tests a year under the likley new system is fair and will still make SA vs NZ and NZ vs Aus and Aus vs SA remain special.
[/b][/quote]

Ok apart from a slight exaggeration of the scores I agree, in inviting Argentina the Tri/Quad Nations is now at the stage when any more tinkering would ruin it. There was talk that Argentina would join the 6N making it 7N, Argentina being based in Belgium or Holland, but I hope they do join the Tri Nations.

In the matter of the Baa Baas, I too, feel that they have lost the mystique thay use to hold, they used to be an exciting prospect bt now, for some reason they just aren't an atrractive prospect any more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 30 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you were in charge of a NH club, would you release your players for this game?

Exactly.[/b]

Yes, I would as it is an honour to play for the Barbarians. A lot of players may not get the chance to represent the Baabaas, so a coach should be in favour of releasing their players if selected. Just my opinion, of course...

[/quote]

.. not being too serious, hence zimbabwe and going off on a tangant. Two fixtures, home and away is fair. Off today and watched 1986 Springboks vs All Blacks in bed. That was special rugby; quality and rare.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 1 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The UAR is of course enormously grateful regarding the invitation, and Porfirio Carreras has promised he'll commit to make it happen. Most Argentinian players happen to have signed contracts that caducate prior to the eventual Four Nations in 2012 -- which is not a coincidence whatsoever: let's take into account the fact that neither the UAR, nor the iRB have done anything to speed up the process (except for the 2 million USD the latter commits to the PlaDAR, the High Performance Plan). We owe it all to Agustín Pichot. Ever since the RWC ended he continued to fight for our cause, I know for a fact that he has hardly seen his family in the last year, because he's been touring the SANZAR nations as well as the iRB HQ. He leads the PlaDAR as well, so it wouldn't be inaccurate to say he had foretold his former Pumas colleagues that there was a chance of making it into the 3N sometime soon, which is why none of them signed lengthy contracts.

Therefore, Argentine players should start to join the Super 14/15 as soon as they are allowed to. Australia might benefit in being able to import powerful front-rowers and hard-nosed forwards to somehow bypass (but not resolve) the lack of depth they've been experiencing.

Los Pumas are CRAZY about joining the 4N. They will do whatever they are asked to, regardless of whether it would actually benefit them or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 1 2009, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 1 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 1 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NZ vs Fiji - 60-25
NZ vs Samoa - 88-10
NZ vs Tonga - 101-13
NZ vs Australia - 22-19
NZ vs Kenya - 201-0
NZ vs Zimbabwe - 189-0
NZ vs Argentina - 40-34

[/b][/quote]

Ok apart from a slight exaggeration of the scores I agree, in inviting Argentina the Tri/Quad Nations is now at the stage when any more tinkering would ruin it. There was talk that Argentina would join the 6N making it 7N, Argentina being based in Belgium or Holland, but I hope they do join the Tri Nations.

In the matter of the Baa Baas, I too, feel that they have lost the mystique thay use to hold, they used to be an exciting prospect bt now, for some reason they just aren't an atrractive prospect any more.
[/b][/quote]

People tend to think that Argentina's highest priority is to face more skilled international squads on a regular basis. While this is true to a certain extent, the long-term plan is to get Argentinians interested in the Rugby world. Playing the 6N would've been nice, but... how would playing in Belgium / Spain catch people's attention? Nobody would care (consider the fact football is well ahead of Rugby down here). On the other hand, being able to watch the likes of Carter, McCaw, Matfield, Habana, Giteau taking on Los Pumas, in Argentina would really boost the sport in Argentina. During the last 3N, I woke up at 3:30 AM / 7:00 AM just to watch the games with my friends. Darn, in the opening match we dropped by a local bar and everybody was watching the match (much to the dismay of the good looking ladies there :D)... I can't imagine what would happen were us to watch them live.

In 1999, after Los Pumas made the QF in the RWC, people began to notice them.
In 2007, when they showed us what could be achieved against overwhelming odds, people began to love them.

Will 2012 be the start of a new era for Argentine Rugby? I hope so. It's time to get rid of that sport for <strike>crybabies</strike> <strike>girls</strike> individualists and embrace Rugby both as sport, and as lifestyle.

If they want to add some fun and games to the BaaBaas select Israel Dagg and Zac Guildford from Hawke's Bay, would back that combination against whatever the Cartel throw onto the pitch.

Latest posts