Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
[h=1]Sportswomen criticise BBC Sports Personality shortlist[/h]
_56998067_120094718.jpg

Some of Britain's top sports stars have criticised the absence of women from the BBC Sports Personality of the Year shortlist.
The list of 10 contenders was put together by a panel of 27 sports editors from national and regional newspapers and magazines.​

Jokes, Chrissie Wellington should win it hands down, then doesn't even get a nomination.

Alistair (and maybe Johnny) Brownlee and Helen Jenkins as well, should be there or thereabouts - hopefully they'll get the recognition they deserve when they smash it at the Olympics next year

People have forgotten its not the BBC's fault but the journalists. Was a little surprised that some of the names mentioned have not been nominated.

What exactly has Amir Khan done lately?

Why is Mark Cavendish on the list every year? His thing is the Tour de France and he always comes about 100th, who gives a **** if he's a good sprinter?

Why Andy Murray? It was OK having him there to begin with but until he wins a major he can **** off.

IMO should be Farah (2 WC Gold medals in a hotly contested field, cheerful personality, beautiful running style), Cook (for all those hundreds) or Strauss (for leading England to No. 1). England Cricket are a shoe in for team of the year.

Cavendish deserves it more this year than most, as he won the points classification at the TdF, and also won the UCI 2011 Road World Championships
Almost a bit of boy who cried wolf with him, as he's on there so much, when he actually deserves it you don't expect it :p

I'm just glad there's no token footballer on there

Heard quite a lot of Ho-Ha over there being no women in the list; must admit they have a point.

Jokes, Chrissie Wellington should win it hands down, then doesn't even get a nomination.

Alistair (and maybe Johnny) Brownlee and Helen Jenkins as well, should be there or thereabouts - hopefully they'll get the recognition they deserve when they smash it at the Olympics next year

no, because probably only about 50 people from a few countries do that sport seriously

it is much more of an achievement to be the best in the world at something where the pool of people doing it larger, such as athletics where African nations and Caribbean nations compete and the pool of people is much larger

I bet there are hardly any African competitors in Ironman triathlon, the same goes for rowing, and sailing and sports where the pool of people doing it is very small

You can only beat what's in front of you, and she's consistently the best in the world, beating her own world records. The fact that not many people compete in Iron Man shouldn't take anything away from her achievements - It's also harder to get into, as a starting point, it's not like with most sports where you can kick a football around with your friends, and then maybe join your local team etc.etc.etc.
I'd like to see anyone run a sub-3hr marathon after swimming for 2.4miles and cycling for 115.

Triathlon is the fastest growing sport in the world, and the Iron Man sanctioned events sell out in minutes (Vineman sold out in 16minutes this year, and Arizona in 12)
Kona (the world championship race, which she won again this year) isn't something you can just pay your money and rock up to, you have to qualify, at another even, within a certain time.

Also, there are actually quite a few African competitors for Ironman - Especially at the one in South Africa. I don't think I have the magazine anymore, but there was a big article in Triathlon Plus about the sport in Africa, in the run up to Ironman:SA

Last edited:
I suppose so, but I still think it's BS that she wasn't nominated.
She has won the Iron Man world championships four times (and long distance once, and amateur once) and holds (and has broken several times) the women's world record.

I don't think it should matter that there are a relatively small amount of pros that do the sport (it's way more than 50, though) - it's still a sport, she's still a sportswoman, and she's the top of her field at the moment (and ever before her).

She should be there over Andy Murray and at least one of the cricket guys. Probably Luke Donald as well.

I suppose so, but I still think it's BS that she wasn't nominated.
She has won the Iron Man world championships four times (and long distance once, and amateur once) and holds (and has broken several times) the women's world record.

I don't think it should matter that there are a relatively small amount of pros that do the sport (it's way more than 50, though) - it's still a sport, she's still a sportswoman, and she's the top of her field at the moment (and ever before her).

She should be there over Andy Murray and at least one of the cricket guys. Probably Luke Donald as well.

it does matter that not many pros do the sport, it means that the talent pool that they are best of is is much smaller and therefore easier to be the top performer compared to other sports

you need to draw a line somewhere, there needs to be a point where a sport is not mainstream enough to be considered

I'm not saying IronMan passes that point, but there needs to be a point as there are some mad extreme 48hour races that in my opinion are more personal test of guts than a sport

I agree about Andy Murray and Luke Donald, and possibly Andrew Strauss

Brownlee should be ahead of one of them I think

Last edited:
Suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :p

Glad we agree on Alistair Brownlee though :D
They must have some good genes, as his little brother Johnny is almost as good as he is now, going to be interesting to see what happens at the olympics

Latest posts