• Poll closed .

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
I dunno how of then we talk about this, anyway here's this years nominations (non-UK folk, there's other categories listed below but we already know the winners of some).

Anyway did a poll for us, I've gone for Stokes because well the turnaround in the Test Cricket team is astonishing. 9/10 Test wins. Before that including the tour on India they'd won 2 test matches in
18. With pretty much the same playing squad. You only have to see how he captains the side in the field to know he's really leading the team.

I suspect Coach and Team will go to the Lionesses but could go Cricket's way as well with McCullum and the T20 Cricket Team.
  • World Sport Star of the Year - Lionel Messi
  • Helen Rollason award
  • Young Sports Personality of the Year - Gadirova also appears here so will likely win. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/63779048
  • Unsung Hero -https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/63875454
  • Coach of the Year
  • Team of the Year
  • Lifetime Achievement award - Usain Bolt

Voted for Beth Mead. Got to be one of the Lionesses. And they will get team of the year.

I am sure Messi is thinking - what is overseas sport's personality (rebranded to World sports star) of the year? Still some great GOATs have won that - Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Ali, Woods?. So he is in great company.

The Helen Rollason award - I think should go to posthumously to Doddie.

List of greats who have won it. I see Maradona didn't win it in 1986. I wonder why? 🤔
World Cup Football GIF by FIFA

Norman went three for four and messi is only third fourth footballer to win it. Looking at the history of award i'd imagine messi wouldn't have won in a summer world cup.

Last edited:
Norman went three for four and messi is only third footballer to win it. Looking at the history of award i'd imagine messi wouldn't have won in a summer world cup.
Norman went three for four in what?

Eusebio also in there making Messi the 4th and only non Portuguese speaking footballer to win it!

SPOTY is being shown tomorrow evening as well. As a sports nut I enjoy it, but can appreciate it is a non-event for others.

Just remembered commentator wise we lost Eddie Buttler and Shane Warne this year. I think because we haven't had a 6 nations Buttler's loss hasn't been felt quite so much.

Warne is a gap almost constantly felt every test match.

Yeh next February/March he will be.

Saw footage of Warne shaking Ahmed's hand and saying how good he thought he was. A passing of the torch moment I love to see in sport.

Yeh next February/March he will be.

Saw footage of Warne shaking Ahmed's hand and saying how good he thought he was. A passing of the torch moment I love to see in sport.
It's the bit where he says he'll be commentating on him in a few years that hits hard.

Warne may have been a wild part boy in some regards. But his love for the sport and just wanting to talk about it and impart knowledge was infectious. He'd go give tons of free advice to any Leggy if he was commentating.

Too soon for Wightman to win it. If he repeats it at the Olympics, then yes.

Too soon for Wightman to win it. If he repeats it at the Olympics, then yes.
Yeah same for Gadirova.

O'Sullivan feels more like a lifetime award maybe if he actually goes past Hendry.

Muirhead would probably be my second choice after Stokes.

It'll be Mead but just feel scoring 1 goal (in a 4-0 drubbing) in the knockout stages and being subbed 63 mins in the final isn't quite SPOTY material. She'll be getting it for the teams achievement.

Don't even mention Stokes' knock in the final....

It'll be Mead but just feel scoring 1 goal (in a 4-0 drubbing) in the knockout stages and being subbed 63 mins in the final isn't quite SPOTY material. She'll be getting it for the teams achievement.
i don't think there is one real standout candidate this year to be honest. Mead more for representing the Lionesses, which was the stand out achievement in British sport for me.

i don't think there is one real standout candidate this year to be honest. Mead more for representing the Lionesses, which was the stand out achievement in British sport for me.
Which is why I won't begrudge them their Team and Coach win.

Definitely felt like they sold Stokes short though, no mention of the stats. He had a mention himself that they were the first team to whitewash Pakistan. Problem with the Ashes or nothing mentality of Cricket.

Which is why I won't begrudge them their Team and Coach win.

Definitely felt like they sold Stokes short though, no mention of the stats. He had a mention himself that they were the first team to whitewash Pakistan. Problem with the Ashes or nothing mentality of Cricket.
Also doesn't help I am not a cricket fan, so more biased to football.

Ronnie comes across as miserable every time he wins the world ***le.

Latest posts