• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Beale or Barnes for 2011?

H

Hamster

Interesting question this.

One very good player whos come out of just two seasons with the Reds nothing special to replacing the injured Larkham very unexpectedly and rising to the occasion verses the once in a generation freakshow talent Kurtley Beale, who is rugbys hottest talent in Australia. Who would you pick for the 2011 world cup.

My mates say Barnes definetly is the flyhalf for Australia and will be in the next world cup.. I say nup Kurtley Beale it should be.. whos that they say?? Maybe if S14 was free to air more people would know younger players (admit it no one knew Barnes before the wc bar rugby fans such as myself and many of you on this forum) and players like Kurtley Beale and Lachlan Turner.. none of my mates know these blokes which is crap to see no one knows the future of Aussie rugby!!

Anyways. Flyhalf for the Wallabies next year and for the next world cup. Who would you pick.

Would you go to the extent of saying Giteua at flyhalf? No. He is the best inside and plays best there, waste putting him in the Halves, especially when you got blokes like Holmes and Barnes/Beale.

Me personally, as much as I hate to say it being a Queenslander, I think Beale should be the next Wallabies flyhalf. His debut season for the Waratahs, hes learnt so much from it and in the ARC showed why hes the most exciting young player, his perfomances were extraordinary. In the offseason I heard hes gained 6kg to weigh 92kg and I reckon he will have a stellar season next year.

Whos the next Wallabies no.10, Beale or Barnes?

Well if you see the pictures of Beale recently he has gotten really solid, I reckon he would do well as an inside centre, but then you have Giteau, and if you want to move him to scrum half (John Mitchell may need to do so this Super 14 if Henjak gets injured) the Holmes gets kicked out of the squad, we have an overabundance of young talent in the backs!! Maybe convert Beale to be a prob, I'm sure he'd sort Dunning out :p

How tall is Beale, is it at all possible if he adds a bit of bulk he could play as a smash em up outside centre with crazy ball skills as well? I'm a prop so I wouldn't have a clue about the way backs work....

I'd put my money on Beale based on his form now and how he's progressing. Barnes is a source of laughter for me. All he does is try little shimmies, jinks and steps that don't work. Worst of all, he has terrible hands! For me thats the diff between both of the young blokes.

I'm being dead serious when I say that half of Barnes' appeal is that, when he's got a green scrum-cap on, he looks somewhat similar to Larkham.

I'm being dead serious when I say that half of Barnes' appeal is that, when he's got a green scrum-cap on, he looks somewhat similar to Larkham. [/b]

I tuned into the Wallabies v Wales game late and until the commentators pointed out about half way through how composed "this young man" was, I thought it was Larkham.

So a successor to a player should look the opposite of the player they are replacing? Yeah, that's a good selection criteria....

Beale has a long way to go before he's a Wallaby.

He was very good for the Rams during the ARC but he's yet to impress at a Super 14 level, and he was clearly outshined by Barnes during the PNC.

Barnes did fairly well during the World Cup, and there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be playing flyhalf for the Wallabies next year, and probably the year after that.

Giteau will retain the inside centre position and will probably also act as the backup flyhalf.

Giteau should also NEVER play halfback again. Plus, we've got Josh Holmes who I think will start for the Wallabies next year unless the selectors get conservative and go for Cordingley.

I'd also like to see Turner get his chance. We need some fast, exciting wingers.

Of course, if Alan Jones or Ewen McKenzie becomes coach then we'll probably just see the entire Waratahs XV thrown in and we'll be worse than Samoa.

So a successor to a player should look the opposite of the player they are replacing? Yeah, that's a good selection criteria....
[/b]

No, but that doesn't stop the fact that Australian rugby fans are going to warm to someone who looks extremely similar to a rugby legend. I would be confident with either Barnes or Beale in the team, though this coming season will really illustrate who is in good form.

Though to be sure, I would rather a fly-half with a bit more impact and physicality than Barnes.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

No, but that doesn't stop the fact that Australian rugby fans are going to warm to someone who looks extremely similar to a rugby legend. I would be confident with either Barnes or Beale in the team, though this coming season will really illustrate who is in good form.

Though to be sure, I would rather a fly-half with a bit more impact and physicality than Barnes.
[/b][/quote]
If that was the case Sam Norton Knight would be the shoe-in

Sam Norton Knight looks like a ferret; a ferret which has been lovingly gifted with another chromosome. He also plays like one.

If Larkham is a domesticated Pole-Cat, i'll concede your point.

Sam Norton Knight looks like a ferret; a ferret which has been lovingly gifted with another chromosome. He also plays like one.

If Larkham is a domesticated Pole-Cat, i'll concede your point.
[/b]
When he first started at the Brumbies the commentators set aside a whole game almost for explaining that SNK looks like Larkham....now, concede!

Ah, Sam Norton-Knight.

Leaving the Brumbies practically killed any potential career as a Wallaby.

Ah, Sam Norton-Knight.

[/b]
He wouldn't have got any game time if he stayed there, he couldn't do anything but leave...

I'm surprised Quade Cooper hasn't come up in this thread lol. He was the supposed wonder kid who would save the Reds.

In all honesty, the Wallabies will be looking ahead to some dark times, probably similar to the All Blacks of '98.

I'm surprised Quade Cooper hasn't come up in this thread lol. He was the supposed wonder kid who would save the Reds.

In all honesty, the Wallabies will be looking ahead to some dark times, probably similar to the All Blacks of '98.
[/b]
The Reds don't have much else, so what do you expect?

How many players have the All Blacks lost to the north? Look after your own backyard before you comment on ours. :)

You surely can't compare what we've lost, to Gregan and Larkham?

Gregan and Larkham have more international experience than all the players who are leaving NZ combined. Come to think of it, Gregan on his own would have more experience than all the players leaving NZ combined.

As an All Blacks supporter, I'm glad to see the back of Gregan and Larkham lol. All we need now is for Mortlock to leave :D :D :D

They haven't been at thier best for many years, what we lose in experience will leave plenty of room for hugely talented youngsters...

You are however losing a few young, supremely talented players, I mean Carl Hayman still has many years left in him and is the best in the world at what he does but you let him go.....yeah real smart...

<div class='quotemain'>
Ah, Sam Norton-Knight.

[/b]
He wouldn't have got any game time if he stayed there, he couldn't do anything but leave...
[/b][/quote]

Not true. He was developing into a fine flyhalf in 2005 until he went to the Waratahs where they shafted him for Rogers and played him in all kinds of awkward positions.

He would've got plenty of game time with Larkham's bout of injuries, and he probably would've benefited more playing under him and being groomed to takeover when he retired.

Now he'll probably be stuck at fullback at the Waratahs with Beale looking as the favourite for the no. 10 jersey.

They haven't been at thier best for many years, what we lose in experience will leave plenty of room for hugely talented youngsters...

You are however losing a few young, supremely talented players, I mean Carl Hayman still has many years left in him and is the best in the world at what he does but you let him go.....yeah real smart... [/b]

We couldn't compete with money to keep Hayman here, but he's only going overseas for a few years, he'll be back playing for the All Blacks come 2011.
As for young talent, we still have a lot of them. Kahui has been injured, so I don't think he's played much Super14, but he's got a great shot of getting an All Blacks #13 jersey in the near future.
The NZ U19 team pounded every team in the RWC, so there's a load of talent there.

Byron was nothing special, and can be easily replaced with Weepu or Leonard.
Other than that, all we've lost is Mauger and McAlister.

It'll be interesting to see who will play 12 for the All Blacks. Favourites for the position look to be Carter and Toeava. Not bad for replacements. Evans could take over Carter, and Conrad Smith will most likely play centre. So we're not looking too bad, unless we have injuries.

Latest posts