• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

best backrow unit

which is the best backrow

• Total voters
I'd give it to the NZ trio simply for being bettre rounded and more experienced but the Irish "trio" certainly comes close IMO. France and SA the only others of note. Replace Spies with Alberts and I think SA another able to compete for top spot; Brussow/Smith/Alberts.

Just wondering who you guys think has the best backrow unit. Guessing most will say new zealand but I'm too patriotic.

You say patriotic. You mean bias a Spanish patriot wouldn't say the Spanish back row is the best in the world even though they thought otherwise and you made it a multiple choice poll so why didn't you say both.:p

"Cry me a river"...a comment i have seen way too much; we are on a rugby site for CRYING out loud!!!

Most people would say it's about bloody time.

As for Brussouw not being anywhere near the level of McCaw? Meh, cry me a river.

When did i say Brussouw was not near to the Level of McCaw?? Brussouw is Better, Biaatch...Bazinga!!!

When did i say Brussouw was not near to the Level of McCaw?? Brussouw is Better, Biaatch...Bazinga!!!

O.K. Whatever makes you feel better.

Actually (since you sound so confident) you should make a poll on who's better just to prove me wrong....

Last edited:
I voted for the French backrow, but then I seem to have this 'thing' for the French at the moment. I think I'm in love with Vincént Clerc.

I think the best back row combination is at Toulon

6. Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (Argentina, 39 caps)
7. George Smith (Australia, 110 caps)
8. Joe van Niekerk (South Africa, 52 caps)

at International level, it's probably the All Blacks

as a UNIT that excels in what backrows are supposed to do? probably one of the Tri nations. their backrows contain strong ball carriers and are great at counter rucking and providing quick ball (Brussouw, Pocock and McCaw). the Irish and French backrows are pretty good but not that good. the Irish backrow are more concentrated on having ball carriers whilst the fetching is spread amongst the whole pack ie, Healy, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Heaslip etc also i don't rate the French backrow much anymore.

Nyanga should be in the French backrow. Did you see him against Leinster ? And I also like Vincent clerc

how can there NOT be a brussouw/smith,burger/alberts option?? must be between s.a and n.z.

Latest posts