• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best of Decade

And this is where subjective interpretation comes in I guess... I felt Mortenson's portrayal (if not his lines) did actually show his characters evolution..
This is where Viggo's get a huge amount of credit as I do think him and Mahershala Ali elevate the entire thing well beyond what the text itself has (best original screenplay, my arse). And I do think its their acting rather than the directing as well. Like I said earlier I think with far lesser leads the movie would of fared a lot worse.

As to the point about older people, younger people already do whilst I am a Millennial I'm very much at the upper age range of that (so called Xennials) and they do take offence to things I don't. I have vowed and hopefully will keep it up to constantly be challenged by that and take on board what 'the youth' have to say rather than reject them like older generation have done with us.

I went looking for top 50/60 lists to remind myself.

Yeah did that for movies but especially for books and music the required searches for the stuff I'm interested in would take more effort than I want to spend on the list!

This is where Viggo's get a huge amount of credit as I do think him and Mahershala Ali elevate the entire thing well beyond what the text itself has (best original screenplay, my arse). And I do think its their acting rather than the directing as well. Like I said earlier I think with far lesser leads the movie would of fared a lot worse.

As to the point about older people, younger people already do whilst I am a Millennial I'm very much at the upper age range of that (so called Xennials) and they do take offence to things I don't. I have vowed and hopefully will keep it up to constantly be challenged by that and take on board what 'the youth' have to say rather than reject them like older generation have done with us.

Oh I think we should always listen... to all points of view, both young and old. I think we just (as a society) need to realise that while younger generations can be and often are right... they can also be wrong. The current trend (I think due to 'baby-boomer' guilt as well as other things) is to just go by what the youth of today is saying but as with all areas of society, be that men, women, whites, blacks, straight, gays, old or young (& everyone else that I haven't mentioned) have just as much propensity to be correct as they do incorrect. As there are 'good' and 'bad' examples within all areas of life. Judgement, fairness and equality through open and frank discussion are the only real arbiters of what is and isn't just. Not, as it sometimes seems these days historical unfairness... resulting in pay-back for 'sins of the father' if you will... but we are tangenting WAY off track.

What did you think of Get Out btw? ;)

Man, I really hate trying to pick stuff over a decade - I can barely remember what I watched last month!

Film is tough - there's been plenty I've really enjoyed (saw Deadpool at the cinema two days on the trot, for example) but best of the decade?
Fury Road definitely up there (great shout above!). Rewatched the 2010 remake of True Grit the other day and it's an absolutley incredible film, so possibly that.

TV series: does the whole thing have to be this decade?
If no: Breaking Bad
If yes: Stranger Things
Honourable mention to Sons of Anarchy and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Impossible to pick one song, hell I'd struggle to pick 5 albums.

Video game: RDR or RDR2.

Book: With the exception of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, and a bunch of autobiographies, I'm struggling to think of anything I've read recently that's come out this decade.

What did you think of Get Out btw? ;)
I'm not a fan of horror (although its the kind of horror I enjoy) and haven't gotten around to watching it yet....I know what your getting that though.

I actually think the opposite I think a huge amount of society is geared up to attacking the 'youth' of today. They overwhelmingly voted against Brexit, huge amounts of their problems financial are due housing, money and wealth accumulated by baby boomers/silent generation with little regard to the impact that would have on later generations. The media trends towards the youth because thats where the clicks come from but politically we've a hard rejection of it in recent years. This really is political thread stuff though.

I'm not a fan of horror (although its the kind of horror I enjoy) and haven't gotten around to watching it yet....I know what your getting that though.

I actually think the opposite I think a huge amount of society is geared up to attacking the 'youth' of today. They overwhelmingly voted against Brexit, huge amounts of their problems financial are due housing, money and wealth accumulated by baby boomers/silent generation with little regard to the impact that would have on later generations. The media trends towards the youth because thats where the clicks come from but politically we've a hard rejection of it in recent years. This really is political thread stuff though.

When you do eventually watch Get Out, let me know what you think... genuinely interested.

Man, I really hate trying to pick stuff over a decade - I can barely remember what I watched last month!

Film is tough - there's been plenty I've really enjoyed (saw Deadpool at the cinema two days on the trot, for example) but best of the decade?
Fury Road definitely up there (great shout above!). Rewatched the 2010 remake of True Grit the other day and it's an absolutley incredible film, so possibly that.

Honourable mention to Sons of Anarchy and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Impossible to pick one song, hell I'd struggle to pick 5 albums.

Video game: RDR or RDR2.

Book: With the exception of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, and a bunch of autobiographies, I'm struggling to think of anything I've read recently that's come out this decade.

BB finished in 2013, so definitely counts this decade. I chose Inception as my favourite film of the decade and it just scrapes in at 2010.

I found music one really tough And still haven't thought of one that sums up my decade.

Movie: Deadpool is the only non documentary movie from this decade I've watched since high school. End of Harry Potter and twilight series are honorable mentions cause again the only non doc movies from this decade.

tv series: the man I am says mad men, the man I want to be says peaky blinders.

album: Alvvays by alvvays

Video game: last of us since it's the only non sports game I've ever played. Never finished it but enjoyed it. Steep is my favorite sports game.

book: non fiction "league of denial"
Fiction: not a lot from this decade, but "damned" by chuck palahniuk. It's formulaic and the same as his earlier work but still very entertaining.

Honourable mention to Sons of Anarchy and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Recently just rewatched Breaking Bad as I wanted to watch El Camino but it had been so long since I'd watched the show I didn't want to be left thinking what exactly happened etc. Show was even better than I remembered and I definitely should have included it on mine. Thought El Camino was a bit... crap though as it goes.

Also, only just started watching Sons of Anarchy (just finished season 2)... wasn't sold on it at first but it's definitely won me over now and really looking forward to the rest of it. Any particular season that you thought was particularly good (just so I can gauge it against 1 & 2)?

Recently just rewatched Breaking Bad as I wanted to watch El Camino but it had been so long since I'd watched the show I didn't want to be left thinking what exactly happened etc. Show was even better than I remembered and I definitely should have included it on mine. Thought El Camino was a bit... crap though as it goes.

Also, only just started watching Sons of Anarchy (just finished season 2)... wasn't sold on it at first but it's definitely won me over now and really looking forward to the rest of it. Any particular season that you thought was particularly good (just so I can gauge it against 1 & 2)?
It's been so long that I watched I can't really distinguish season to season, it's all a bit of a blur (which is a good thing because I want to rewatch soon) - I do remember thinking season 1 wasn't great but it improves massively
Looking at the Wikipedia synopsis I think season 4 is where it really goes up a notch

Film: Inception for me, everything I wanted and more
TV: Sherlock was amazing at times before it jumped the shark
Song/Album: No idea
Video Game: Pretty much all I've played is a bit of fifa and I'm not going to say that

Forgot Gone Girl on my list of honourable mentions.

Big shout out to Lady Gaga for best half time show at the super bowl.

I've only seen the second one but it was outstanding

The Paddington movies as well. Both were top class.

... not even close to being the best duology about bear-human relations this past decade... Ted 1 & 2 are far superior representations of the struggles faced by bears... yadda yadda yadda... merely an Anglophilic Winnie the Poop etc!

Last edited:
... not even close to being the best duology about bear-human relations this past decade... Ted 1 & 2 are far superior representations of the struggles faced by bears... yadda yadda yadda... merely an Anglophilic Winnie the Poop etc!
Heresy!

Yup missed both Paddington's on my list as well.

Latest posts