• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

best team in europe

On Results its gotta go to Leicester i guess, but they aren't unbeatable, they were lucky in EDF final. We woould have beaten em but hey wteva. The Scarlets have a very gd History and seem to compete and beat the bigger teams, but then seem to drop in form when they play the smaller teams, but obviously can't compete with The ospreys this season haha :bleh!: (is a joke don't take it serious, although u were well and truly beaten). um Stade and Tolouse are very good, but not the the threat they used to be. Can't count out wasps either. AND Munster. I seem to be going through every team here. But with Potential i'd say the ospreys have got the capabilities of becoming a real force in european rugby, with the squad of players we have, (although i totally disagree with all this mindless spending we are doing, bloody stupid :wall: ).

<div class='quotemain'>If that's your arguement, Leicester tare those records to pieces in EVERY stat.[/b]
Another broad sweeping attempt to express your opinion as fact. You could come up with one set of facts, a Munster fan could come up with another, both equally twisted to get their preferred point of view across.

My arguement wasnt that Munster are better then Leicster. It never was. My arguement was that Munster are not, nor have they ever been a Franchise (as you incorrectly stated), and that they shouldnt be discounted because of that. You jumped on one post, I jumped on yours.

[/b][/quote]

You said it yoursel that they are the local wing of the IRFU, therefore they are a subsiduary and not an indipendant club, like every other magners league side.

Definition of the word;

"In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league. The corporation which owns a major sports team is often called "the franchise" as a colloqiual term."

So which boxes there do Munster not tick?

"In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league. The corporation which owns a major sports team is often called "the franchise" as a colloqiual term." So which boxes there do Munster not tick? [/b]
By that logic, every club in the Guinness Premiership is also a franchise, in fact every club that has been given rights to compete in any league is a franchise. As Munster is part of the IRFU, then your saying the IRFU is licensing the rights of its products to itself, making it (by your definition) the corporation, the franchise and the franchisee? A shreud business move I'm sure but ..................... nope sorry but it makes no sense to me.

Its an overly simplistic definition (conveniently), which offeres an explanation of the American Football, or Super 14 system. Teams created by a governing body and the rights to run the team are leased to a third party, which remains governed by the terms and conditions set out.

Heres a more accurate one for you;

The right or license granted by a company to an individual or group to market its products or services in a specific territory. A store, restaurant, or other business operating under such a license

Munster rugby is part of the IRFU. There is no leasing, no licencing, no third party, no franchise.

Oh, and you may want to tell em they miss-spelled colloqiual in their definition.

<div class='quotemain'> "In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league. The corporation which owns a major sports team is often called "the franchise" as a colloqiual term." So which boxes there do Munster not tick? [/b]
By that logic, every club in the Guinness Premiership is also a franchise, in fact every club that has been given rights to compete in any league is a franchise.[/b][/quote]

You are indeed an idiot;

Munster, Lienster, Cocanut and Ulster recieve funding for running costs from the IRFU and are centrally contracted, they are garanteed a league position every year and do not represent a town, instead being pre-defined regions as decided by the IRFU.

If you think that the Premiership Clubs fall under the same banner when they compete and progress through a league system identical to that of the prooven sucessful format in football (which they all have to pay a yearly fee to enter instead of being paid to 'compete'), it shows how one eyed towards Irish rugby you are.

Beside, this is all irrelivent. While Leicester are the biggest, most sucessful and 2nd most supported club in Europe, you have to go through Gloucester, Bath, Llanetli, Tolouse, Stade & Beer'n'Chips before you get to any Irish Franchise/Province/American-fanzone (whatever you want to call it).

And, on a different note/rubbing the salt in on an obviously open wound, I would even say Northampton have a richer and fuller history then Munster. *cough2000cough*

Lay off the insults. Take it offline if you want to go down that route.

Munster, Lienster, Cocanut and Ulster recieve funding for running costs from the IRFU and are centrally contracted, they are garanteed a league position every year and do not represent a town, instead being pre-defined regions as decided by the IRFU.[/b]
I'm fully aware of how Irish rugby is structured. I can recommend a few good books if your interested in learning about it yourself? Oh hold on, is this another attempt to state something that is actually correct, even if it has little to do with the topic? If it was, well you got the geography bit right.
If you think that the Premiership Clubs fall under the same banner when they compete and progress through a league system identical to that of the prooven sucessful format in football (which they all have to pay a yearly fee to enter instead of being paid to 'compete'), it shows how one eyed towards Irish rugby you are.[/b]
I dont. I was simply questioning your definition of a franchise. I was just pointing that out that if your definition "In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league" applies to Munster (which it didnt) then it would equally apply to pretty much every club in the premiership. It was a weak definition and doesnt apply to either sets of teams. This has nothing to do with my thoughts of the premiership, it wasnt an attack against any team, I was just pointing out the flaws in your point.................. again.
Beside, this is all irrelivent. While Leicester are the biggest, most sucessful and 2nd most supported club in Europe, you have to go through Gloucester, Bath, Llanetli, Tolouse, Stade & Beer'n'Chips before you get to any Irish Franchise/Province/American-fanzone (whatever you want to call it).[/b]
Ahhh you see now your getting to it. I thought you were just going to keep making random points in the hope that one of them might actually be correct. Why didnt you just say that at the start instead of coming up with bogus, factually incorrect arguements to back up your ingrained prejudice. Would have saved a lot of hassle really.

And, on a different note/rubbing the salt in on an obviously open wound, I would even say Northampton have a richer and fuller history then Munster. *cough2000cough* [/b]
I'm a Leinster fan. I understand what Munster have done over the years, for both Irish and European rugby, and respect them because of that, but there are no open wounds here. Their losses are their losses, their glory is their glory. I havent the right (or the desire) to call myself a Munster fan. I would assume a Munster man would understand what I'm saying here, doubt you will.

On your side point. Were you guys not relegated last year? Finish bottom of the league? Are you not about to spend a couple of seasons playing the likes of Esher, Newbury, Pertemps and Sedgley? Come talk to me if you manage to get back up with the rest of the big boys. Until then though, I'd stop harping on about your illustrious history, even if its all that may remain of your club. *cough >>InsertRandomDateHere<< cough*

If you think that the Premiership Clubs fall under the same banner when they compete and progress through a league system identical to that of the prooven sucessful format in football (which they all have to pay a yearly fee to enter instead of being paid to 'compete'), it shows how one eyed towards Irish rugby you are.[/b]
The day we hold up football as the way to organise successful leagues will be a sad one.

Right now id say the best team soon will be ospreys because the team just keeps getting better and better

I'm being biased and saying the London Wasps (is it just me or should they really consider taking 'London' out of their ***le?). Leicester close behind.

Aside from Scotland and Italy, the all countries (England, France, Ireland and Wales) have a legitimate shout for having the best club sides, namely Leicester, Toulouse, Munster and Llanelli.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> "In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league. The corporation which owns a major sports team is often called "the franchise" as a colloqiual term." So which boxes there do Munster not tick? [/b]
By that logic, every club in the Guinness Premiership is also a franchise, in fact every club that has been given rights to compete in any league is a franchise.[/b][/quote]

You are indeed an idiot;

Munster, Lienster, Cocanut and Ulster recieve funding for running costs from the IRFU and are centrally contracted, they are garanteed a league position every year and do not represent a town, instead being pre-defined regions as decided by the IRFU.

If you think that the Premiership Clubs fall under the same banner when they compete and progress through a league system identical to that of the prooven sucessful format in football (which they all have to pay a yearly fee to enter instead of being paid to 'compete'), it shows how one eyed towards Irish rugby you are.

Beside, this is all irrelivent. While Leicester are the biggest, most sucessful and 2nd most supported club in Europe, you have to go through Gloucester, Bath, Llanetli, Tolouse, Stade & Beer'n'Chips before you get to any Irish Franchise/Province/American-fanzone (whatever you want to call it).

And, on a different note/rubbing the salt in on an obviously open wound, I would even say Northampton have a richer and fuller history then Munster. *cough2000cough* [/b][/quote]

A saints fan bitter about the lack of relegation in the Magners League quelle suprise. The full name is Munster Rugby Club btw. So if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck, then .....

Also it is beyond me how you can can compare a european giant like Munster with some third rate National Division One side .

Nice use of the edit button there! Don't worry, nobody noticed... ;)

Oh, what's this, the original post...

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> "In sport, a franchise is a club given permanent rights to play in a specific league. The corporation which owns a major sports team is often called "the franchise" as a colloqiual term." So which boxes there do Munster not tick? [/b]

You are indeed an idiot;

And, on a different note/rubbing the salt in on an obviously open wound, I would even say Northampton have a richer and fuller history then Munster. *cough2000cough* [/b][/quote]

The full name is Muster Rugby Club. How can you compare a european giant like Munster with some third rate National Division one side is beyond me. [/b][/quote]

Quite easily. Them being a 3rd rate Celtic league side n'all. Hardly up to the standards of any Welsh side now, are they? Also, Munster didn't achieve anything better then Northampton this year, so by that theorey each time you call Northampton names you're putting your own team down even more.

Please, continue.

A saints fan bitter about the lack of relegation in the Magners League quelle suprise. [/b]

And for my own edit, I'm not the slightest bit bitter about religation this year. Northampton couldn't put together a solid 80 minute performance all year (bar the HEC QF) and deserved to finish bottom. And as I happens, I rather enjoyed the 1995 demolition tour and can't wait for the next one to begin.

as much as i hate to say it, leicester have gotta be havent they??? bath are the only other team(from past achievments) that i can compare to them. although munster have always been a strong team (as long as i can remember anyway).
I wish Gloucester could take their good leaguen form into big matches. they always seem to crumble when it matters.

Nice use of the edit button there! Don't worry, nobody noticed... ;)

Quite easily. Them being a 3rd rate Celtic league side n'all. Hardly up to the standards of any Welsh side now, are they? Also, Munster didn't achieve anything better then Northampton this year, so by that theorey each time you call Northampton names you're putting your own team down even more.

Please, continue.

And for my own edit, I'm not the slightest bit bitter about religation this year. Northampton couldn't put together a solid 80 minute performance all year (bar the HEC QF) and deserved to finish bottom. And as I happens, I rather enjoyed the 1995 demolition tour and can't wait for the next one to begin. [/b]

Ok so we have established my spelling is good, but my execution needs work :p . I had a bit of a rant yesterday because I don't see why you cannot acknowledge that Munster have a fine pedigree in Europe which you are all too ready to dismiss, on some pedantic defination of what you believe a club is.

Sure the CL teams have no relegation but the money available to GP clubs outweighs any advantage in this regard. Regional rugby is the only way that the Celtic nations can support professional rugby and even hope to compete with the top English and French clubs. Not that I expect you would give a crap if all the CL teams went out of existance.

I have not yet figured out if you are anti-central contracting or if you are just plain old xenophobic, it's really hard to tell. A little of both I imagine.

No xenophobia, being as I am actually half-Irish thanks to a Dublin born mother I do have a soft spot for the place, but it's a well known fact I'm always club before country. Anything that has a hint of central contracts in it (in my opinion) is not a self sufficent entity but mearly a subsiduary of the Union.

Hense why I'm currently strongly opposed to Francis Baron and Rob Andrew being allowed to live.

No xenophobia, being as I am actually half-Irish thanks to a Dublin born mother I do have a soft spot for the place, but it's a well known fact I'm always club before country. Anything that has a hint of central contracts in it (in my opinion) is not a self sufficent entity but mearly a subsiduary of the Union.

Hense why I'm currently strongly opposed to Francis Baron and Rob Andrew being allowed to live. [/b]

That fair enough nothing wrong with being a Blazer sceptic. I still think that regions and central contracts were the best route for the Celtic nations to take to professionalism since professional club rugby is not sustainable in these countries (Not with a crappy Setanta TV deal anyway).

Since I would be out of my depth I will stay out of any English club / RFU political debates :) .

Latest posts