• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best teams in 7's Rugby?

Well Georgian rugby sevens team has won the Hannover European Sevens' Third Place after overcoming Ireland. This gives me right to put my country sevens' in this thread

Othervise Fiji is the best I think

200px-Georgia_Rugby.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Sep 7 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well Georgian rugby sevens team has won the Hannover European Sevens' Third Place after overcoming Ireland. This gives me right to put my country sevens' in this thread

Othervise Fiji is the best I think

200px-Georgia_Rugby.jpg
[/b]
Nice try.

The best 7s team I've ever seen has to be the Fiji 1990-1992 squad. They won 3 straight HK 7s ***les and revolutionized the way 7s rugby was played. If they had the IRB 7s series back then, this team would never drop a game in every tournament for 3 straight seasons, that is how good they were. It got to a point where I really couldn't be bothered wether they lost or won, because they were at that time unstoppable.

If anyone digs up old video footage of 7s before 1990, I'm sure you'll see 7s being played in a way similar to 10s and 15s. Teams often kicked for territory, most part of the game was around mini rucks/mauls, and there was hardly any free flowing stuff you see today. When the Fiji 1990-1992 team came into the scene, they introduced something in 7s never seen before..FLARE.. You could clearly see each player was chosen for a different task, for example before 1990, the position of a sweeper was non-existent in 7s. The likely scenario of a 7s game back then was win possesion, hoof it down the pitch and then we'll have foot race between opposing teams, when you get there, it starts all over again. When Serevi started dropping back sweeping the rear like a temporary fullback, most teams saw this was something different and it more or less put a stop to that kick and chase in 7s, because all he did was run it up the field running rings around opposition players.

the nz public doesn't take 7's seriously it just an excuse to dress up and get ****** :p

Latest posts