• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best_fullback's Training Blog

Might consider getting a pair of those (lucky I'm a size 8 too :p ) for the new season, as mien are pretty battered and I haven't worn them for ages.
But yeah, I'm in a similar situation as you, and I haven;t done any proper exercise since abpout Novemberish. I haven't played rugby since November either so I'm very rusty skills wise too. I'm mostly a winger, but have played a fair bit at flanker and a couple of times at fullback. What I was wondering was, where's the best place to start if I wanted to work on my fitness? I don't want to go straight into anything major, because I've got a embaressing habit of throwing up if I'm unfit and do loads of exercise <_< Any hints?
Btw, great blog you have here. Keep it up!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jul 11 2009, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Might consider getting a pair of those (lucky I'm a size 8 too :p ) for the new season, as mien are pretty battered and I haven't worn them for ages.
But yeah, I'm in a similar situation as you, and I haven;t done any proper exercise since abpout Novemberish. I haven't played rugby since November either so I'm very rusty skills wise too. I'm mostly a winger, but have played a fair bit at flanker and a couple of times at fullback. What I was wondering was, where's the best place to start if I wanted to work on my fitness? I don't want to go straight into anything major, because I've got a embaressing habit of throwing up if I'm unfit and do loads of exercise <_< Any hints?
Btw, great blog you have here. Keep it up![/b]

Cheers for the comment mate, appreciated!

Yeah the boots are really nice. I think Ive just about broken them in now and the Kangaroo leather has moulded around my feet. Went out for a casual kick about in them yesterday for an hour and it feels so nice to kick in them because they fit so well. I would definately recommend them.

The key to you going back into fitness is progression. Start off with just some simple exercises; light jogs, light weight sessions, rowing. These will help to get your body geared up for the exercise again as the worst thing to do is to go into fitness cold and get injured or throw up! Start small and build it up. Having a goal (such as time limits) always helps in progression of fitness.

As you have probably read, I go for 3 medium length runs a week, and then a gym session 3 times a week as well as the 2 rugby training and fitness sessions a week. Im not going to try and over-do it and kill myself but I think this will be a good way to raise my fitness.

Cheers again mate :)

<div align='center'>---Week 4---</div>

Back to Training, More New Gear, and a Case of DOMS

This week I thought it was about time I get ready for contact again and ordered myself a headguard. Anyone wondering why can find another thread I made here previously explaining the situation. Again the purchase has come from Newitts.com who continually suprise me by selling equipment much cheaper than anywhere else with free delivery. I bought the Gilbert Xact Heaguard for £31.99 which is around £8 cheaper than anywhere else I found it. Here is a pic for anyone unaware:
XactHeadguardBlackGreen.png

From (http://www.gilbertrugby.com/UserFiles/Image/Large/XactHeadguardBlackGreen.png)

In other news, the training had been going well. I can really feel my kicking technique improving. My end-over-end punting I feel I have almost got down to a tee, and I have modified significantly since beginning the training programme to my kicking technique. Spiral Punting is a big improvement also, though I feel I would be less inclined to use a spiral kick to clear for touch under pressure than my end-over-end punt which I feel has a much higher success ratio.

Place kicking im still finding is a bit of a lottery. I have been looking closely at many different players and how they strike the ball, as well as their run up technique. Having ESPN Classic has been brilliant these last few weeks as they have been showing World Cup 2007 highlights so I have been continually pausing, rewinding and watching in slow-motion pretty much all the kicks. Percy Montgomery has stood out to me as he has such a short run up, pretty much two steps. You can see what I mean in this video 3:10 in. Obviously at the other end of the spectrum is Gavin Henson as you can see in this video. When I train next I will be experimenting with different kicking techniques to see if any naturally stick.

On the topic of goal kicking I found an interesting article on a website that I am a member of called betterrugbycoaching.com. Written by experienced coach Dan Cottrell, there is a plethora of resources available for everything to do with rugby coaching and training. Here is the article I found: 'Goal Kicking for Mortals'

Within this article it lists drills that kickers can do that are different from the normal 'kicking at goal' training:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"4 drills for great kicking

1. Kicking down the line: Practise kicking down a line not at the posts. Rather than aiming at the posts, use the 15m line to see how straight your kicks are.

2. Random run up: Forget the run up and get the kicker to just kick. This can relieve the tension and encourages the player's natural talent.

3. Kick the ball into a tackle bag: Place the tackle bag 2 metres away from the ball. This promotes a short-range target and a chance to make lots of kicks.

4. Kicking competitions: Any game can create tension. The players who are the best kickers are not necessarily the best technical kickers. These are the ones who can hold their nerve."[/b]
From (http://www.betterrugbycoaching.com/...g,-Chasing--Catching-Goal-Kicking-for-Mortals)

Ill will be trying out these drills next training session and letting you know what I think! I would also like to say that I don't own any rights to the information on the betterrugbycoaching.com website and do not intend to breach any copyright and that is why I have quoted the author.

<div align='center'>----------------------</div>

My last bit of news comes after my most recent trip to the gym. One of my best friends has recent passed his course to become a personal trainer so I thought I would test his knowledge and expertise out by letting him give me a legs session at the gym. All I can say now is that I regret it immensely. The session was on Monday and now on Thursday my legs still absolutely cane. Walking isn't a problem though running and kicking is. Ive looked into it online and the condtion is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and happens after a heavy session of exercise where the muscles have been excessively worked. There is an interesting article about the condition here: 'Muscle Pain and Soreness After Exercise - What Is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness'. Basically it isn't life threatening but it means I will have to take it easy for 3-7 days until the pain subsides.

This isn't as bad as it sounds though because I have been able to work on my passing and can still do upper body workouts. Runs and lower body workouts will have to start again next week though.

<div align='center'>----------------------</div>

Any comments or questions will be appreciated! :)

Heya,

Might have to "nick" your routine, or at least some of it.. Currently im at No 8 (captain of U15 team, for my school) and am going into the U18 starting line up a year early, and am either moving to Hooker or Wing. So i need to work on fitness and skills.

You use rowing machines? I use them quite alot and they seem to help with my leg power and my shoulders.

Oh by the way your 5ft 9 and 140 lb? wow i feel like a fat bugger xD im 5ft 5 and 146 lb :huh: and yes i will be the shortest in the team, another reason to sort my speed and fitness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reptonguy @ Jul 18 2009, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Heya,

Might have to "nick" your routine, or at least some of it.. Currently im at No 8 (captain of U15 team, for my school) and am going into the U18 starting line up a year early, and am either moving to Hooker or Wing. So i need to work on fitness and skills.

You use rowing machines? I use them quite alot and they seem to help with my leg power and my shoulders.

Oh by the way your 5ft 9 and 140 lb? wow i feel like a fat bugger xD im 5ft 5 and 146 lb :huh: and yes i will be the shortest in the team, another reason to sort my speed and fitness.[/b]

Heya mate,

Feel free to try out some of my stuff. Thats half the reason Ive made this blog so that other people can see whether training routines are working or not!

Yeah I do use rowing machines, usually for the cool down in the gym. I like to mix it up with either 10 minutes on the cross trainer or 10 minutes on the rower. So far my gym sessions are going well and Im just getting over the muscle pain when starting the gym again! I will be posting up a modified gym workout plan in the next few weeks as I have modified the other one because some of it was unnecessary.

Yep only 140lb! But Im hoping in time after going to the gym for 3 months I will have put on a good amount of muscle to bulk me up!

Thanks again and good luck!

Im lucky enough to have my gym in my room :lol: i usually go on rower for either 25 minutes or 5000 strokes which either comes first. Then about 10 minutes on the cross trainer then a few things on the bike. Also do own body weight exercise and dumbbell work.

Sadly all my rugby balls, all 8 of em have been eaten by my new puppy :eek: :eek:

I recomend a bulking session over the summer for you, in other words gain weight and muscle :p Look at this site, i get alot of info off it:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reptonguy @ Jul 18 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Im lucky enough to have my gym in my room :lol: i usually go on rower for either 25 minutes or 5000 strokes which either comes first. Then about 10 minutes on the cross trainer then a few things on the bike. Also do own body weight exercise and dumbbell work.

Sadly all my rugby balls, all 8 of em have been eaten by my new puppy :eek: :eek:

I recomend a bulking session over the summer for you, in other words gain weight and muscle :p Look at this site, i get alot of info off it:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10[/b]

Yeah I have a multi gym in my house and a rower too but I much prefer using free weights. No resistance then and helps core too.

Cheers for the link to the site, ill have a look on the forum and see if there are any useful resources!

No problem.. good luck with your goals.. Ill keep you posted on my progress if i get round to remembering to :lol:

the site have new topics every 10 minutes xD theres bound to be something on there..

<div align='center'>---Week 5---</div>

This week has gone well. So far it has probably been the wettest week of training meaning that passing and kicking has been slightly more difficult, though welcomed because games will be played under similar or worse conditions.

I have also managed to find myself a job! :D meaning I am working 35 hours a week. This is fine though and shouldn't conflict with my training too much. I informed the manager that on Tuesdays and Thursdays I won't be able to work lates as I have club training and he said that was fine. Business as usual then!

Kicking has been going well though im starting to feel like I need a buddy with me for feedback. When I have completed 4 weeks of full training I will post up the results.

The club training sessions have been hard to say the least. In the post before last I spoke about a session I had with my most local team, which aren't the highest standard, and how I found getting back into fitness hard. Well when I started going to training with another team in my area who are a significant amount more serious, it was 10x harder. It was 1 1/2 of pure pain. However I feel like I put myself about, I know I made some pretty good tackles, and tried to play in the 10 channel as much as possible. Quite a bit more work to go though. On the positive side I don't ache as much after training anymore which shows my body is adapting to the stresses. Hopefully I can hit the ground running now for the next weeks coming.

<div align='center'>--------------------</div>

I have been investigating into drills to improve passing and general handling. These are some videos I found on the internet:

'Basic Pull Pass' Drill

'Catching and Passing Under Pressure' Drill

As well as these I have been in contact with the good people at www.betterrugbycoaching.com who have allowed me to use some of their resources on this site.

Here is a link to a page full of resources relating to passing and catching, which I intend to try and use.

Here is also a link to resources relating to all things kicking.

All these source have been used under permission by www.betterrugbycoaching.com.

<div align='center'>---------------------</div>

Right, Ill write back later in the week if anything interesting happens, but it will just be business as usual. I am trying to get my hands on a camcorder to film my kicking so I can upload it here. More info soon.

Any comments will be appreciated.

<div align='center'>---Week 6---</div>

The Montgomery Kick, Scrum Cap Kicking and a Sore Toe!

The weeks have been trudging on and by the end of next week I will be able to post a full months set of kicking data! Wahey! :)

On the whole, kicking has been going very well! In one of my previous posts I commented that my place kicking had become 'irratic' and as such I was become tired and frustrated with it. In some sessions I would even not do any place kicking as not to put me in a bad mood and make punting would suffer as a consequence!

I hit the drawing board (non literally) and decided, after watching loads of the 2007 RWC re-runs on ESPN Classic and being in wonder at some of the brilliant goal kicking, that I should experiment with my technique. I thought initially that the James Hook 'long run up and follow through' kick would suit me. However I could get a fair amount of distance, but my accuracy was awful. I would rather kick 8 kicks out of 9 from the 22 than get 1 or 2 from 35m and then spoon one in front of the posts from 20m. Getting the accuracy before working on the distance seems more logical to me.

I went down the pitch and expermented. I tried kicking from various different angles without any though processes, literally walk back and to the side and start the run up. In the end I found the kicking style of Percy Montgomery suited me the best. For anyone unaware, this is what it looks like:

340x.jpg

From (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/036HeoO7r37H8/340x.jpg)

Obviously without the hand thing!

I found this short 2-step run up was much more natural for me, and although my distance is shorter, it is so much more accurate. I am consistently kicking 8/9 from the 22 and can shave the bar at 40m. With time and practice, I will be able to increase my distance. I have been really happy about this and after every session I feel energised and ready to come back and kick again the next day. My girlfriend says she can always tell when Ive had a good kicking session because im really happy for the rest of the day!

Lets hope it continues!

When I first started this technique I kept kicking the tee with my big toe when trying to get under the ball. I can tell anybody now who hasn't done it before; it hurts. Like hell. It split my toenail! Try not to do it!

--------------------

In other kicking news, I have begun to start wearing my scrum-cap to kick in so that I used to it come game time. It has been suprisingly comfortable, though the chip strap can be annoying a lot of the time. The visibility is excellent, just the same as if I wasn't wearing one. I will tell you how it rates when I do some contact at training next week. Sadly I couldn't train this week on Tuesday and Thursday. My bloody manager at work (after I told him in the interview that I couldn't work after 7 on Tuesdays and Thursdays because of rugby, to which he replied 'thats absolutely fine!') put me in for lates on Tuesday and Thursday finishing at 11. Not cool. He couldn't change it this week because it was already in place, so from this week on, I will be training every Tuesday and Thursday. So far I have only done 5 training sessions.

--------------------

Right that should probably rap it up for this week. I will continue my kicking and training, and as I said earlier, I will put some data up next week.

Any questions or comments would be appreciated :)

<div align='center'>---The Evolution of Goal Kicking---</div>

At this stage in my blog I have written an article about my self taught method of goal kicking as a guide for anyone out there who wishes to improve or start.

What makes a good goal kicker?

Composure?
Distance?
Accuracy?

Yes, all of the above, but not without the most important element: consistency and practice.

No goal kicker has ever on the first few weeks of training walked up the half way line and slotted consistent penalties.

What about technique? How do you go about this?

When you have never goal kicked before is there some formula that you can follow that will make you a good goal kicker? Can you watch Jonny Wilkinsons Hotshots on CBBC and then automatically be a good kicker?

The answer to both questions above is no. Atleast, that is what I have found. This is my personal guide to goal kicking and the evolution of my technique to what I now consider as my personal technique which has the highest success ratio.

I would like to take this moment to deviate and share a life story that has helped me.

If anyone has ever seen the film 'Dead Poets Society', and is familiar with the Robin Williams character, I had a teacher like him at school who was my tutor all the way through school and my A level English teacher. He was such a great teacher and was quite quirky like the film character.

The famous quote he had was "Its not practice makes perfect, Its perfect practice that makes perfect." This really struck a chord with me and I have taken it into account throughout life. Its this emphasis that you shouldn't settle for the minimum amount of effort to practice, because then you will only practice at being not very good. Get to the point where you are nigh on perfect and practice, practice, practice.

This is the same psychology you should take into goal kicking practice, or any practice for that matter. Practice being great, and you will be come game time.

Going back 30 years there was only really one style of goal kicking. Straight run up laces kick. Today kicker's techniques are like chalk and cheese. Look at any good goal kicker today. They have an individual technique:

jonny_wilkinson.jpg
261x.jpg
610x.jpg

What makes these special? These are the result of endless hours of practice on the training field and the final postion is a position where the player feels calm and focused on the task at hand. This has eventually manifested itself in the prayer position for Wilkinson for instance.

What makes them even more special is that they are unique. The player has found a technique which works for them, and they have practiced endlessly until they are at that level and continue on further.

Is there a correct technique? No. In the next section I will tell you about how I evolved my technique from nothing to what it is today.

My Guide

There is no easy method to goal kicking that doesn't involve endless trial and error. Forget watching a youtube video entitled 'how to goal kick', and assuming doing exactly what they do on there will be perfect. It is only right for that person. Just like if you watch Wilkinson, Carter, Paterson, their technique is personal and won't necessarily work for you. The 3 steps back, 2 steps left generic routine is a good building block but it should by no means be accepted as standard.

Firstly before your foot even connects with a rugby ball you need to get yourself a tee. Kicking tees come in all shapes and sizes. I had an advantage coming into the training programme as I knew flat tees were useless for me; I couldn't use them. By flat I mean:
gilbert_kicking_tee_quicker_kicker.jpg

I watch a lot of rugby league and many kickers in that code use telescopic kicking tees. These pose advantages as the ball height can be altered and angle of the ball altered from around 30º to vertical. At least getting one of these covers more bases than the flat tee.

If you have no idea what tee you would be suited to, try several out. Borrow some if you can or buy them online as they aren't too expensive. If you can borrow one and you know if it doesn't suit you they you can believe the other sort will probably work. Just experiment until you are comfortable.

Next you need to get several good quality (or closest quality to the balls you will be using in matches) balls to train with. Why several? So you don't have to keep walking to pick up the same one over and over. I bought 3 Gilbert balls (see second post for info) and they are brilliant quality so I would recommend them.

So...

No.1. Buy a suitable kicking tee and balls.

Ok, so you have the kicking tee and balls and the question that should be in your mind now is: where the hell do I start? The mistake here is to just go over to the posts, whack the tee down a short distance out, place the ball down at any angle and height, walk 3 steps back and 2 to the side, run up and kick it.

Why? I bet a lot of people reading this now would say that is the best way to start. Sure the ball may go over, but the technique is flawed in the fact that you have not got a basic routine or technique yet. This is a recipe for massive variation and inconsisteny. I should know, this is the way I started and it was rubbish as looking back, the first 3 weeks of my programme were worthless from a goal kicking perspective. I thought my technique was going to be similar to James Hooks after watching lots of footage of him in the build up to the training programme. Of course eventually it was evident that his routine was not suitable for me.

Everyone has an amount of natural kicking skill and this 'generic' kicking technique will work, and you will feel great about it. But unless if you are naturally very talented it will deteriorate as you change the angle of the kick or distance.

What should you do then? Experiment. Like in a science lesson, you want to know the outcome of a test. So experiment. Find a flat peice of land with a straight line such as the touchline of a pitch (I use the lane of a grass running track), aim the ball down it and just experiment. Try the ball at different angles and heights. Not getting much height on the ball, raise it up or make your follow through higher.

With the run up, don't try and do the whole 3 steps back or any similar routine. Just walk to a comfortable distance away like you would see a footballer do with a free kick. Only when you find a good technique should you take note of how you get to that position with steps back and to the side for purposes of limiting variation. If you think about when you see a footballer take a free kick or a goalkeeper taking a free kick, they usually just turn around and walk diagonally back a few paces and then run up on the ball. This is what you should do when starting out to keep it as simple as possible.

Do not overcomplicate it. You should be saying this to yourself. It is the worst thing you can do. At this stage the only thing you should be thinking about is getting the ball going straight. The point of having the kick on a straight line is to aim down the line. Try and get the ball landing as close to the line as possible. Accuracy is the name of the game, not distance. Distance will come with practice so there is no need to worry about it now. Just get that ball going straight.

That makes No.2 and 3:

No 2. Experment
No 3. Accuracy over distance

Once you have found a comfortable run up that gives you the highest accuracy ratio you should try and replicate the routine as much as you can. This is the time to start pacing out the kick run up. I found, if you read the previous post, after experimenting that a short powerful run like Percy Montgomerys worked very well for me. Though the distance was not vey long, the accuracy was brilliant. Every time I went to collect the balls they would all be in a 5 metre radius of each other, where as before they were all over the place.

Now is the time to move to the posts. Again don't jump in at the deep end; start out as if your team had scored under the posts and do exactly what you were doing before. Pretend the posts aren't there and get technique going well. Aim down the imaginary straight line from the tip of the ball and hit down it.

Now the key is to just keep practicing. Progression should happen. Move the tee further out and the side also. Just be comfortable with what you are doing.

No 4. Kicking at the posts and progession

If the technique is going well and you are consistent and comfortable then carry on practising just as you are doing. However as I found and some may also, modifications have to be made. My 'Montgomery technique', as I called it, was feeling slightly unnatural. I added another short pace back and a short sideways step in the run up. Along with this I put the tee up another inch allowing me to get underneath the ball more.

Now this technique I have is, I would say, nigh on perfect for me. Of course my kicking isn't perfect, but that will come with practice, but the overall technique feels comfortable and I feel my technique is efficient. For me now it is just perfect practice to make perfect.

So lastly...

No 5. Perfect practice and modifications

I hope this helps any budding kickers out there who are thinking of practicing the art of goal kicking. As I have already said this my personal guide to goal kicking from personal experience, and not a definitive guide. There is not set guide but these are the guidelines I have followed in training that have worked for me.

If you would like to comment or ask questions it would be appreciated. Thank you :)

<div align='center'>---Long Awaited Update---</div>

Hi again guys,

Well, its been almost a month since I last posted! I can't really believe it to be honest, it seems like the time has flown. I have been really, really, busy in the last few weeks. Work have had me working full time and my spare time has been cut short, and believe me, any time that I do have spare goes on practicing.

Now though because kicking sessions are less frequent in the week, where it would have been 1-1 1/2 hour session now have been 2-3 hour sessions. Some days I finish work, go straight to the pitch and kick until it is literally too dark to see the ball, then go home, sleep, and go back to work again when I wake up.

Thankfully though, I am finishing my job tomorrow and have a good week or two before I go back to uni where I can get back into the full swing of things with the training plan.

Training has been going pretty well. As you can probably gather from the above though, some elements have been ommitted in the previous few weeks. One has been the rugby training sessions. This however, wasn't my fault. I told my work in my interview that I couldn't do Tuesday and Thursday evening because of Rugby. However my manager EVERY week forgot and when I would look at the roster I would be on lates on both days. Every time I would chase it up though he would have to move other people to do that shift and move me to do an earlier shift, so in the end having to ask him to do this every week was just really annoying and frustrating. No matter how many times I told him he would still do it.

Gym sessions have also been cut for the same reason really. Ive been working 40 hours a week so I spend pretty much all of my spare time kicking. I have started to become near obsessed with the kicking routines I have to do them whenever I have spare time. The small amount I have left over I see my girlfriend, friends and relax. I don't want to burnout and end up hating this whole training programme and give up. I still have plenty of time to hit the gym again after tomorrow.

Kicking has been very good, but not consistently. Some days, Thursday for instance, was a brilliant session. It felt like everything I did went through the posts and my technique was felt so fluent. I have been having pain in my kicking leg around the hip socket occasionally from the kicking, but Thursday it was fine.

Then, because I have been working rubbish shifts at work, I didn't get to go kicking again until today. Now today the weather was perfect, the pitch just cut and hardly any wind. However it was the worst session I think I have ever had. Obviously when I first started I was a lot worst technically, but in terms of the outcome of the session, I just felt annoyed. Unlike Thursday, hardly anything was going over, and everything that was felt and looked ugly. Usually I would stay kick until my technique came back, because usually it does and then I can have really productive session, but this session was so bad that after 2 hours I left.

I am a very determined person, and I definately want to acheive my goal in this programme, but sometimes I think there are times when you just have to leave a session when you're not feeling satisfied because it is going that badly. My perfectionist tendancies usually ensure that I never leave the pitch until I am completely satisfied.

I think this frustration and bad technique is just down to lask of practice. Now that I am finishing work I can go every day to kick like I had been doing 2 weeks ago and before.

In my last post I did promise some stats, and I do have them, but due to my work I haven't had the time to write them up and make graphs yet. I will do ASAP.

In the mean time if anyone would like to ask any questions or comment, please feel free :)

Bit of a bump, but i forgot how good this blog was :p
Did you get far with your training/get to where you wanted to be skills wise?
I'm planning on doing the same thing over the summer, i play wing atm, but i want to train up to try and play scrumhalf in league (similar position to Flyhalf in union)

My main goal for the summer is to stop being a fat ass. Gotta ship at least a stone in about a month and get my fine senior hurling body resculpted. Tips?
(We do some fairly intensive training about 2or 3 times a week but as I'll be playing catchup I don't think it'll be enough)

Bit of a bump, but i forgot how good this blog was :p
Did you get far with your training/get to where you wanted to be skills wise?
I'm planning on doing the same thing over the summer, i play wing atm, but i want to train up to try and play scrumhalf in league (similar position to Flyhalf in union)

Cheers man I never really knew anyone was reading!

Yeah in the end when I came back to uni I joined the RL team and got into the 1sts but annoyingly on the wing because of my pace which was really the pitfall I wanted to get out of. I started 2 games and then screwed my knee when someone stood on it and the stud went between my knee-cap and bone. I was out of the rest of the season with that and by the time I recovered the season was over. Before that injury though I did have some really good training matches playing at first reciever but I don't think RL is the game for me. Though fun I miss the breakdown too much!

My main goal for the summer is to stop being a fat ass. Gotta ship at least a stone in about a month and get my fine senior hurling body resculpted. Tips?
(We do some fairly intensive training about 2or 3 times a week but as I'll be playing catchup I don't think it'll be enough)

Im planning on doing a training blog v.2 over the summer - which will start probably next week or the week after - with a lot more focus on weight training and fitness. I found leading up to pre-season training going for a 2 mile run 2-3 times a week helped tremendously when it came to general fitness. As far as weights go its all about progression really; keep upping the weights when you start to feel comfortable to make yourself stronger. I don't think anything can fully prepare you for pre-season beasting but just get a good balance between gym and cardio as many players can neglect the latter and be a beast, but be f**ked after 20 mins.

I have got to say this is extremely impressive.

I had a similar situation this year; i have played openside flanker all my life but i have reached the level where being 5'10' and 170lb just doesn't cut it anymore.
I had figured this out in the summer holidays but instead of conditioning myself like you have done i just played Xbox and got drunk and rowdy whenever possible, i had transfered universities and rugby clubs this year so not many people at the new club new who i was. I decided that i would just wing it, say i had played all my rugby in the backs and back myself to just sort it out on the field. I played a couple of trial games in the midfield against some pretty top notch opposition, it wasn't pretty at all and i got stuck in the B team.

Moral of the story is i wish i had your commitment, this blog would have come in very handy a 5 months ago!

I have got to say this is extremely impressive.

I had a similar situation this year; i have played openside flanker all my life but i have reached the level where being 5'10' and 170lb just doesn't cut it anymore.
I had figured this out in the summer holidays but instead of conditioning myself like you have done i just played Xbox and got drunk and rowdy whenever possible, i had transfered universities and rugby clubs this year so not many people at the new club new who i was. I decided that i would just wing it, say i had played all my rugby in the backs and back myself to just sort it out on the field. I played a couple of trial games in the midfield against some pretty top notch opposition, it wasn't pretty at all and i got stuck in the B team.

Moral of the story is i wish i had your commitment, this blog would have come in very handy a 5 months ago!
I'd love to make a game like "EA Sports Training" which you could get your character fit, while you get larger and unfitter.

My situation is I have trained the last 2 years, to become a good prop. I've always wanted to be a #8, but I play for a club which is mainly very small, white guys who needed a prop, I learned to play prop. I'm 6'3'' and went from 95kgs to 110kgs, taking up power lifting and I can now bench, squat and powerlift more than ever. The problem is, three new big guys have joined the team, all front rowers, however we're down on a #8.

So now, I'm working on just speed and fitness training and trying to get down to around 100kgs, so I can have a bit more pace...

Best fullback, I want to thank you for this training blog, it has motivated me to get out there and do some individual training myself and I have pretty much copied your drills and they work fine. So big ups to you best fullback.

Latest posts