• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Big Hit Tackle

T

Trev@Swordfish

I have had a few emails asking me why we have left the 'big hit' tackle in RC2006, considering it was unrealistic and was widely hated in WCR.

OK ... the problem with the big hit in WCR was twofold - you could big hit forwards with pencil necks and once you learned to time it, the big hit always landed and spilled the ball. Basically, it was a bad game mechanic that we got wrong. We even ended up making our own rules in the office ie. each player could only do 5 big hits per game etc.

In RC2006 the big hit is a balanced and well designed game mechanic. The animation is different too. The big hit is all about risk and reward. If you attempt a big hit, whether it is successful is now dependent on 3 things:

i) whether you execute it correctly,
ii) the relative sizes/weight of the player, and
iii) whether the other player is driving forward.

If you attempt to big hit a no.4 with a no.11, he is likely to just bounce off. This makes it interesting on line breaks. From a defensive stance, you are much more likely to use an orthodox tackle and wrap the player up.

We talked for a long time about whether to include it, but we wanted to have a tackle that spills the ball.

There you go - saves me answering a ton of emails.
<

wicked, i hope it works well
<
look forward to trying this out.

actually look forward to playing the game full stop

take my word for it, it will - ive seen the video and by god it look sweet - theres one bit where the guy picks up the other player and the player whos lifted offloads to the winger who bursts down the wing - great!!!!!

sounds good, Trev. I'm delighted to hear that has gone out of the window. Sounds like you really might surprise us with this game after all
<

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish@Jan 17 2006, 11:05 PM
I have had a few emails asking me why we have left the 'big hit' tackle in RC2006, considering it was unrealistic and was widely hated in WCR.

OK ... the problem with the big hit in WCR was twofold - you could big hit forwards with pencil necks and once you learned to time it, the big hit always landed and spilled the ball. Basically, it was a bad game mechanic that we got wrong. We even ended up making our own rules in the office ie. each player could only do 5 big hits per game etc.

In RC2006 the big hit is a balanced and well designed game mechanic. The animation is different too. The big hit is all about risk and reward. If you attempt a big hit, whether it is successful is now dependent on 3 things:

i) whether you execute it correctly,
ii) the relative sizes/weight of the player, and
iii) whether the other player is driving forward.

If you attempt to big hit a no.4 with a no.11, he is likely to just bounce off. This makes it interesting on line breaks. From a defensive stance, you are much more likely to use an orthodox tackle and wrap the player up.

We talked for a long time about whether to include it, but we wanted to have a tackle that spills the ball.

There you go - saves me answering a ton of emails.
<
Thanks bud sounds good!! At last a man who is honest in the gaming industry and even admit they did not get something spot on! Big up to Trev.

Trev, anything you want to be "honest" about with RC2006 ??

Like the 'no singles' in BLIC, or 'big hit' in WCR, so we don't come running back in a few weeks to hear you say "yeah, we really wanted to get stripy protectors round the posts, but we just couldn't manage it" ... ??!

Latest posts