• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bledisloe One 2020

UpTheJumper

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
The teams are out, who's your money on? Kiwi bookies have the ABs by 17, but I hope it'll be closer than that.

All Blacks: Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Jack Goodhue, George Bridge, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith; Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Shannon Frizell, Samuel Whitelock, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tuungafasi, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Dane Coles, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Nepo Laulala, Tupou Vaa'i (debut), Hoskins Sotutu (debut), TJ Perenara, Anton Lienert-Brown, Caleb Clarke (debut).

Australia: Tom Banks, Filipo Daugunu, Hunter Paisami, Matt To'omua, Marika Koroibete, James O'Connor, Nic White; Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper (c), Pete Samu, Matt Philip, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Taniela Tupou, Folau Fainga'a, James Slipper. Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge.

- The All Blacks vs. Wallabies kick off the Bledisloe Cup series in Wellington at 4pm on Sunday.

Stunned to see that Foster hasn't learnt anything from last year WC failure and continues with that dual playmaker bs, thus playing certain people out of position... again. Absolutely ridiculous to play one of the two best Super Rigby Aotearoa fullbacks at 14 (leaving also the other one outside the 23) just to accommodate his brother at 15.

So, jordie Barrett was exceptional this year for the hurricanes, at fullback. The things that made him good were things he could do precisely, and only, because he was at fullback. He was absolutely a standout, light years better than Beauden. So he should be playing fullback. And there is no good reason to believe he'll do a betteR job than Jordan or Reece in the wing. And the way he played for the cane s was more or less in the dual playmaker style they want. So, bad decision there.

I like him on the wing for cross kicks, and before this years performances that would have been my preference, but not now.

Will be interesting to see if they use him like France has used penaud, coming in as playmaker from the blindside wing when play is going open

also lienert brown is the knees of bees.

At least they got ofas selection right. An absolute standout, deserves to start.

Anyone know who holds the broascast rights in the USA? I was expecting it to appear on ESPN+ but no sign of it on the schedule. I am also not sure why Super Rugby Unlocked isn't appearing on ESPN+ either.

Anyone know who holds the broascast rights in the USA? I was expecting it to appear on ESPN+ but no sign of it on the schedule. I am also not sure why Super Rugby Unlocked
Sorry, but I don't know the reason why. And I haven't seen Dave Davies post on here in a long time. But you can still watch PRO14 on ESPN+. It's better than no rugby at all.

Beauden Barrett ruled out due to injury (archilles)
Damian McKenzie to start at fullback
Happy to see DMac playing, hes the kind of player that gets you to the edge of your seat because his attacking game is so freakish.
But I'm also gutted because I think DMac and Beauden are pretty awesome when they are paired together, going to be interesting to see Richie and DMac together this may well be their first test as a pair? Will be interesting to see how it plays out. we know that DMac plays a lot at first receiver even when he is wearing that 15 jersey.

Beauden Barrett ruled out due to injury (archilles)
Damian McKenzie to start at fullback
Happy to see Damian get a chance here, might be lucky Due to timing of the injury, as if they hadn't already trained with Jordie on the wing they might have put him at fullback instead. Or maybe this is just how they see things.

I think Fozzie's gone with the 'get your best players on the park' philosophy. I don't see an issue with putting JB on the wing, he's adaptable. Interested to see how Caleb Clarke and Tupou Vaa'i go. Unleash the young guns on 60'!

So non-one giving the Wallabies a hope in hell? O'Connor's been in good form and their Fijian wingers, Koroibete and Daugunu are dangerous. I'd expect the AB's to walk it, but might be closer than we think?

When you look at the overall makeup of the AB's squad JB's #1 position is likely 14
DMac and BB are covering 15 and 10 and its safe to say that JB's form has been better than Sevu's this season, JB is IMO a 15/14 who can cover midfield in an extreme pinch. Ive been saying for a couple years that JBs best long term position is 14. He wants to play midfield and when you see what he can do its safe to say he would be good there but we have depth in midfield and his ~6ft5in frame is something to behold under a high ball making him a better asset out the back or wide.
He's copped a lot of flack at times but thats harse imo, considering hes still only 23 hes had a great start to test rugby

The game is now appearing on ESPN+ schedules. Still not sure why Super Rugby Unlocked is not being shown.
Yes, I just noticed that too. ESPN+ has a history of updating their schedules at the last minute. And I should have remembered to mention that earlier but I'm getting old and forgetful. I bet the SR Unlocked thing has to do with money, it almost always doe$. Maybe they couldn't agree on a deal in time? Enjoy the Bledisloe Cup tonight. I will. :)

Last edited:
The teams are out, who's your money on? Kiwi bookies have the ABs by 17, but I hope it'll be closer than that.

All Blacks: Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Jack Goodhue, George Bridge, Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith; Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Shannon Frizell, Samuel Whitelock, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tuungafasi, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Dane Coles, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Nepo Laulala, Tupou Vaa'i (debut), Hoskins Sotutu (debut), TJ Perenara, Anton Lienert-Brown, Caleb Clarke (debut).

Australia: Tom Banks, Filipo Daugunu, Hunter Paisami, Matt To'omua, Marika Koroibete, James O'Connor, Nic White; Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper (c), Pete Samu, Matt Philip, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Taniela Tupou, Folau Fainga'a, James Slipper. Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge.

- The All Blacks vs. Wallabies kick off the Bledisloe Cup series in Wellington at 4pm on Sunday.
Where's Joe Powell of the Brumbies? They tweeted that he made the Wallabies awhile back. I want the Aussies to win only because they're the underdog. Hope it's a close game!

When you look at the overall makeup of the AB's squad JB's #1 position is likely 14
DMac and BB are covering 15 and 10 and its safe to say that JB's form has been better than Sevu's this season, JB is IMO a 15/14 who can cover midfield in an extreme pinch. Ive been saying for a couple years that JBs best long term position is 14. He wants to play midfield and when you see what he can do its safe to say he would be good there but we have depth in midfield and his ~6ft5in frame is something to behold under a high ball making him a better asset out the back or wide.
He's copped a lot of flack at times but thats harse imo, considering hes still only 23 hes had a great start to test rugby
I've also been saying 14 is his position In the past, But he has performed at fullback by doing fullback things. Nothing about what has made him great this year can translate into a Typical 14 role. So his form this year is only relevant when talking about his ability to play 15, oh and his ability to not stuff things up which is something he certainly has improved on hugely. I really don't see that there is enough evidence to suggest he should be playing 14, unless they are going to change the 14 role. Both Reece and Jordan have played better at 14 this year than Jordie ever has. But Jordie is the form fullback, and deserves a chance there.

And The argument that someone doesn't deserve flack because they are young is nonsense, People Haven't been saying Jordie is a bad person, just that he doesn't deserve his place. that's like saying if you picked a 5 year old and he kept missing tackles that you shouldn't say he is useless at rugby, he's only a 5 year old after all. Sure it might be pretty sad to call a 5 year old useless, but that's the fault of the selectors selecting him in the first place. You certainly shouldn't be saying it's ok for this 5 year old to be playing in the all blacks, because his issues are only because he is 5 and that isn't his fault.

I've probably been the first to criticise Jordie in the past, because it's been warranted in the past, but it's not warranted anymore so I'm also the first to recognise that he is now a great player (at super rugby anyway).

I've also been saying 14 is his position In the past, But he has performed at fullback by doing fullback things. Nothing about what has made him great this year can translate into a Typical 14 role. So his form this year is only relevant when talking about his ability to play 15, oh and his ability to not stuff things up which is something he certainly has improved on hugely. I really don't see that there is enough evidence to suggest he should be playing 14, unless they are going to change the 14 role. Both Reece and Jordan have played better at 14 this year than Jordie ever has. But Jordie is the form fullback, and deserves a chance there.

And The argument that someone doesn't deserve flack because they are young is nonsense, People Haven't been saying Jordie is a bad person, just that he doesn't deserve his place. that's like saying if you picked a 5 year old and he kept missing tackles that you shouldn't say he is useless at rugby, he's only a 5 year old after all. Sure it might be pretty sad to call a 5 year old useless, but that's the fault of the selectors selecting him in the first place. You certainly shouldn't be saying it's ok for this 5 year old to be playing in the all blacks, because his issues are only because he is 5 and that isn't his fault.

I've probably been the first to criticise Jordie in the past, because it's been warranted in the past, but it's not warranted anymore so I'm also the first to recognise that he is now a great player (at super rugby anyway).
If Reece and Jordan have played better, why aren't they in the match 22? I think it comes back that 'get your best players on the park'. Jordie is in better form, and although 14 isn't his usual, he's clearly preferred there over them.

One thing's for sure, Fozzie believes this is his current strongest 22. No way he's experimenting two games out from the championship with the Bledisloe on the line.

It'll be a interesting match, with a different AB's lineup and new-look Wallabies. Can't wait!

If Reece and Jordan have played better, why aren't they in the match 22? I think it comes back that 'get your best players on the park'. Jordie is in better form, and although 14 isn't his usual, he's clearly preferred there over them.

One thing's for sure, Fozzie believes this is his current strongest 22. No way he's experimenting two games out from the championship with the Bledisloe on the line.

It'll be a interesting match, with a different AB's lineup and new-look Wallabies. Can't wait!
The selectors either chose the team they think is best or they chose a mix of what they think is best now and what is best later. I don't know which. They've been picking Jordie for years when he hasn't deserved it, Probably because they think he will grow into a better player, or because they Are overconfident in him, thinkING he won't make his prior errors again. They might also not be intending to use Jordie in a traditional 14 role. But if they do use him in a traditional 14 role, I'm saying I think they should have selected differently, and I'm thinking strictly about this game, now.

As I said, jordie is not in better form at 14. His form at fifteen isn't relevant to 14. His form has been in the way he has been able to come into the line at will to make plays and decisions, and also because he has excelled at the defensive role of a fifteen. Try and think back to super rugby and the big plays he made, they were all things he could only have done at fifteen. So if they can have a game plan that allows him to use some of his form, that will be a very different role to a typical 14. And only then is his form relevant to his selection

Last edited:
IMO there are skill and attributes in the game that are more important in test rugby than in lower forms like Super Rugby. Things like discipline, defense, ball retention, error rate. Missed tackles and turnovers are harder to forgive at test level. The main reason I advocate Cane over Savea for the AB's is while Cane will never be as flashy or as powerful a ball carrier as Savea, Canes defense and control of the advantage line is pretty much the gold standard in the NZ game and arguably the world and that is fundamentally critical in the test arena. It may not win over the fans like Saveas running but in those big games it makes more of a difference. Where that applies to jordie is his ability under the high ball, DMac is amazing under the high ball for a guy under 180cm tall, George Bridge is excellent, hes the closest thing we have to a bender 2.0, Barrett too I think is above average for a test fullback. But Jordie is like next level good, like Israel Folau good. That is handy to have at super rugby level but its a trait that is revered at test level. I think that has a big impact when the selectors are weighing up options.

IMO there are skill and attributes in the game that are more important in test rugby than in lower forms like Super Rugby. Things like discipline, defense, ball retention, error rate. Missed tackles and turnovers are harder to forgive at test level. The main reason I advocate Cane over Savea for the AB's is while Cane will never be as flashy or as powerful a ball carrier as Savea, Canes defense and control of the advantage line is pretty much the gold standard in the NZ game and arguably the world and that is fundamentally critical in the test arena. It may not win over the fans like Saveas running but in those big games it makes more of a difference. Where that applies to jordie is his ability under the high ball, DMac is amazing under the high ball for a guy under 180cm tall, George Bridge is excellent, hes the closest thing we have to a bender 2.0, Barrett too I think is above average for a test fullback. But Jordie is like next level good, like Israel Folau good. That is handy to have at super rugby level but its a trait that is revered at test level. I think that has a big impact when the selectors are weighing up options.

Reckon you're on to something with regards to the highball; the wind is blowing pretty strong there today and the way the Cake Tin is it'll swirl about so controlling the highball is going to be vitally important this afternoon.

All Blacks prop Nepo Laulala is out (personal reasons)
Tyrel Lomax is in

Absolutely, jordie has next level high ball abilities, that's always been the case, and now he doesn't make stupid decisions all the time. Maybe that is enough to be the first pick 14. Even if that were true, I still think he deserves a chance at 15.

Savea is the best in the world at ruck time when he's at seven: getting turnovers, generally being a nuisance which slows down the oppositions ball, and often makes some outlandishly good ruck clearances when players have flipped all over at odd angles Or are contesting the ball and no one can get rid of them. There might be casual fans that get Overly excited over his running, but proper rugby fans get Much more excited about him at seven, when he's not running. The guy doesn't even run much when he's at seven. it's only casual fans that can't see that he's the, or close to the, best Seven in world at Ruck time. So yes cane and savea are very different types of players, and they're both great, but your pigeonholing of savea is way off the mark.

Latest posts