• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bledisloe One 2020

Both the Wallabies and All Blacks had good opportunities to kick close drop goals in the extra time period, but neither of them took a shot. I don't know why, they were kicking them in Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU. I remember the TV announcers talking about it being unusual but exciting during those earlier SR games. Play to win, not a draw.
The Wallabies were set for a shot but Vaa'i committed about 7 different breakdown offences preventing the chance. Koroibete shouldn't have grabbed the ball back off him as more spotlight on how they got possession might have been shone. Should've been a penalty in front of the sticks.

As to why NZ didn't? no idea.

My guess is they were hoping to exploit the fact that Hunter Paisami for the entire super rugby AU would shoot out of the line for the big hit almost always leaving a huge gap for the outside centre if they had some speed to punch straight through as Paisami usually lined up the 12. BUT Hunter didn't do that this game, Rennie clearly told him to play it slow and not try to be the big hero and it worked. Reiko was shut down and had his plate full as hes not exactly a good tackler and 1v1 Hunter wins that duel when he's running the ball.

The All Blacks could beat us for speed i.e Ioane vs Koroibete and Bridge vs Daugunu. But in that scenario they have to risk Koroibete running straight over Ioane or the much stronger Daugunu bullying and shutting down Bridge all game like he did the last one. Jordie is too slow for the wing (even in his try he looked like he was running at a snails pace) NZ was dominant for years because they had large and very fast wingers Sivivatu and Rokocoko. I think they've lost that punch on the outside over the last 5 or 10 years. I'm not sure Sevu Reece would be better or worse than Bridge, but it would be a great battle Reece vs Daugunu.

In no scenario can I see a reason to remove Sam Cane. He may be a concussion magnet but he puts everything into every game he plays. I honestly think Ardie (he's a sook who constantly tries to start a fight with Nick White and he isn't that hard of a runner i.e Daugunu stopping him dead 3 runs in a row and his whopping 8 running meters in the whole game) isn't all he is cracked up to be and maybe it's time to move him to the bench and put the number 8 from the Blues on.
I thought it was a clear ploy of the Reds to use Paisami as the shooter - because he's quite good at it (see hits on Mo'unga). It inevitably leads to a few missed tackles and space in behind.

As to losing their 'punch' on the wings. I think Naholo, Savea, Reece, etc would like a word.

Unpopular opinion but Jordie Barrett is an absolute lump at test level. I've never seem him perform in an AB shirt. I really don't see what others see in him.

I thought it was a clear ploy of the Reds to use Paisami as the shooter - because he's quite good at it (see hits on Mo'unga). It inevitably leads to a few missed tackles and space in behind.

As to losing their 'punch' on the wings. I think Naholo, Savea, Reece, etc would like a word.

Unpopular opinion but Jordie Barrett is an absolute lump at test level. I've never seem him perform in an AB shirt. I really don't see what others see in him.
I'm not sure about the Reds using it as a ploy, I think it was just his natural play style. (Who doesn't want to be built like a small tank and put shots on someone)
I'm with you on all points except for the hype job that was Julian Savea.

I 100% agree with Jordie Barrett being overrated at a test level. And I disagree with @Larksea about him being quick. He simply isn't.

just finished watching this on another forum, not a bad watch

I'm not sure about the Reds using it as a ploy, I think it was just his natural play style. (Who doesn't want to be built like a small tank and put shots on someone)
I'm with you on all points except for the hype job that was Julian Savea.

I 100% agree with Jordie Barrett being overrated at a test level. And I disagree with @Larksea about him being quick. He simply isn't.

Jordie pretty much hasn't performed at test level, worse than that he has had negative impacts because he used to make dumb mistakes on a regular basis. But he performed BIG TIME in super rugby this year, he was an absolute phenomenon, but at fullback and by doing fullback things (and I counted only one dumb mistake the whole season). Doesn't mean he should be playing wing for the all blacks. There is no evidence to suggest he is a test level wing.

Jordie pretty much hasn't performed at test level, worse than that he has had negative impacts because he used to make dumb mistakes on a regular basis. But he performed BIG TIME in super rugby this year, he was an absolute phenomenon, but at fullback and by doing fullback things (and I counted only one dumb mistake the whole season). Doesn't mean he should be playing wing for the all blacks. There is no evidence to suggest he is a test level wing.

If we ignore the first game of the Hurricanes Campaign before the Covid happened. The whole team had a shocker.

Latest posts