TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Pat_Lam3.jpg

The Blues have announced the names of the eight Wider Training Group (WTG) for the 2011 Super Rugby season.

Blues head coach Pat Lam said he was thrilled with the make-up of the group.

"When we selected the Wider Training Group it was very much with an eye to choosing players who we believe can go on to represent the Blues and also push for higher honours," Lam said.

"If you look at the make-up of the group with New Zealand Under-20s players Angus Ta'avao-Matau and Sean Polwart, and also 19-year-old Gareth Anscombe as the up-and-coming ten, there are plenty of exciting youngsters who have big futures ahead of them," he said.

North Harbour lock James King gets his second opportunity to join the Blues Wider Training Group after initially being named in the 2010 group before shoulder surgery ruled him out for the season.

25-year-old former Highlander Aaron Bancroft adds more experience to the group after emerging as a real leader for Northland in this year's ITM Cup.

"The key with Aaron is he's shown a lot of leadership. A lot of people talked about Rene Ranger and Jared Payne in the Northland team but a lot of work was done on the inside with David Holwell and Aaron Bancroft and he was certainly close to full selection," Lam said.

"Having him in our squad is really valuable, particularly with the younger guys around him so he's certainly a good acquisition."

Lam said despite North Harbour's disappointing season in the ITM Cup, former New Zealand Sevens player Nafi Tuitavake, the younger brother of former Blues player Anthony, really stood out as an exciting outside back.

"I believe it was his best season to date for North Harbour. We all know what he can do with the ball in hand but he showed a lot more off the ball than he has in years gone by and he certainly improved a lot around his defence so he deserves his place."

The Blues Wider Training Group (WTG) for the 2011 Super Rugby season is comprised of the following players:

Gareth Anscombe (Auckland)
Pauliasi Manu (Auckland)
Sean Polwart (Auckland)
Angus Ta'avao-Matau (Auckland)
Auvasa Faleali'i (Auckland)
James King (North Harbour)
Nafi Tuitavake (North Harbour)
Aaron Bancroft (Northland)

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=28105

A pretty good selection of talented young players. The only questionable selection in my mind is that of Aaron Bancroft - though Pat Lam does seem to rate him. He was never that impressive when he was in Otago, and didn't really impress me this year for Northland. To me he seems like a serviceable NPC player, but I don't believe he has the game to make a good Super 14 player (his defense is particularity worrying...). To be fair, there weren't many other midfield options in the Blues region, but I would have preferred if they had given a spot to a talented young player like Ken Pisi or Bryce Heem (both outside backs), who at least look to be potential quality Super Rugby players in the future...

Latest posts