• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blues vs. Highlanders

D

Dumbo

Blues: 1 - Tony Woodcock, 2 - Keven Mealamu (Captain), 3 - John Afoa, 4 - Greg Rawlinson, 5 - Ali Williams, 6 - Justin Collins, 7 - Daniel Braid, 8 - Nick Williams, 9 - Steve Devine, 10 - Tasesa Lavea, 11 - Joe Rokocoko, 12 - Luke McAlister, 13 - Anthony Tuitavake, 14 - Doug Howlett, 15 - Isa Nacewa.

Reserves: 16 - Tim Dow, 17 - Saimone Taumoepeau, 18 - Kurtis Haiu, 19 - Anthony Boric, 20 - John Senio, 21 - Rua Tipoki, 22 - Vili Waqaseduadua

Highlanders: 1 - Nick White, 2 - Anton Oliver (Captain), 3 - Carl Hayman, 4 - Tom Donnelly, 5 - James Ryan, 6 - Hoani MacDonald, 7 - Josh Blackie, 8 - Craig Newby, 9 - Chris Smylie, 10 - Nick Evans, 11 - Roy Kiniknilau, 12 - Seilala Mapusua, 13 - Neil Brew, 14 - Vilimoni Delasau, 15 - Ben Blair.

Reserves: 16 - Jason Macdonald, 17 - Chris King, 18 - Filipo Levi, 19 - Tim Boys, 20 - Jimmy Cowan, 21 - Callum Bruce, 22 - Richard Kahui.

Thoughts...
Look for a BIG battle in the tight five... Woodcock, Kevi and Fat Albert v's White, Oliver and Hayman PLUS Ali v's Ginga Ryan. Should be a good match up.
I think the Highlanders actually have it over the Blues in the Loose forwards and the half's.
But that's where it ends... the Blues backline, if they get the ball from Lavea who should give up completely on his kicking game (oh that's right he doesn’t have one) is a class act.

If conditions are dry I'm thinking that the Blues will win easy by at least 15.

should be a tough close game...

i think the blues will bounce back and win by less than 10

id like to see the north harbour inside backs...10 mccalister, 12 tipoki, 13 tuitavake....
that combination pretty much took north harbour to the npc semi-finals last year...

Agree, would have Mccalister at 1st five and open for the rest of the backline...

If Carters the man, and if 2nd fiddle is Nick Evans then I'd rather see more competition for 1st five in NZ, plus Lavea can be f&*king frustrating to watch.

Look forward to the the battle in the tight five... outside of White for the H'Landers there's some big names there.

Does anyone have any idea what the weathers going to be like?

McAlister is currently Carters back up at Fly Half - as we saw during the Lions series and 3N... The only reason Evans was playing on the end of year tour was because McAlister injured himself again.

I would rather have Moa myself at Halfback and Angus McDonald at 6. The Auckland Pack should be in for a battle with Haymen and Oliver in the scrums and the Loose Fowards are preety even with the tie breaker in the Highlanders favour because of Josh Blackie, but even with Lavea starting again, the Blues Backline should be too fast and too strong for the Highlanders - especially if we can get the Counter Attacking going... and McAlister gets the ball so he can do his thing.

angus macdonald is out with injury ripper and that is why he is not in the team. mcAlister is the back-up 10 for sure hes been on the bench a few times and has had a few starts for the abs.

the forward battle will be interesting both teams quite evenly matched there. the backs are completely different, the blues should be able to rip the highlanders apart if they get enough ball

McAlister plays best at 12, Lavea is **** yes but is still a better option having him there with McAlister outside him.

Shame he doesn’t pass the ball more, with all that talent outside of him... man you can have a back line consisting of batman and Robyn, superman and the incredible hulk and you'll still go down if they don't get the ball.

Maybe someone should tattoo "pass the ball" into his forehead.

Originally posted by Dumbo@Feb 17 2006, 12:02 PM
Shame he doesn’t pass the ball more, with all that talent outside of him... man you can have a back line consisting of batman and Robyn, superman and the incredible hulk and you'll still go down if they don't get the ball.

Maybe someone should tattoo "pass the ball" into his forehead.
or club him in the knees.

JESUS f***ING CHRIST.

HAYMEN JUST CLOTHESLINED LAVEA... AND THEY GET THE PENALTY?

Anyone who says that the ref isn't complete Bullshit against the Blues is stupid or is stoned like Woosah.

And I bet their regreting leaving Ward out now that we have Nacewa doing the kicking.

f*** this, I f***ing give up.

This is pathetic, we should have the competition at its knees with this team, but it's always the same, stupid mistakes and lapses in concentrations... look at Tipokis "offload" which got intercepted for a try.

Hopefully Henry bombs at the 2007 World Cup for the Blues sake.

The Blues are all cake. they are pathetic at line-outs and their backline couldnt break its way out of a paper bag.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!+Feb 17 2006, 09:25 PM-->
Blues for da spoon!! [/b]
at the moment its close, but you have the tie breaker.

John Mitchell is your coach. You lose.

<!--QuoteBegin-ABHLF

The Blues are all cake. they are pathetic at line-outs and their backline couldnt break its way out of a paper bag.

The Line Outs has probably been one of our Strong Points, at least Ali Williams is.

Originally posted by Ripper@Feb 17 2006, 09:28 PM
The Line Outs has probably been one of our Strong Points, at least Ali Williams is.
Looks like it :lol:

blues were shocking - mealamu was great around the loose - but as captain he should try and secure there own line outs. the highlanders look quite descent this year. big carl looked impressivee and strong and nick evans kicking out of hand have improved as have his general distributing skills.

the blues are shocking - theres little imagination - there was a few moments from joe and lavea which looked like the blues of old - but it wasnt consistent and for too much of the game they were just building up phases - blues are at there best with quick ball getting behind the opposition - this was evident with there first try.

Latest posts