• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bonus Point System

falcons1988

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
Just a thought, would the Six Nations be better off with the bonus point system?

I wouldn't like to see it.A team could do the grand slam and finish second.I can see your point though,given the dire quality of the games after the first weekend.

Before this tournament I was dead against it. But now to be honest I'm all for it. I think we need a change in philosophy in the NH(at least in the 6N), the way to win should be to score try's not penalty's. Hopefully a bonus point system would give teams more motivation to go for try's because everyone is just being far to safe at the moment - and why wouldn't they be, there is so much pressure on the team's winning is simply all that matters.

^ yeh man, some of us need to learn wtf AN ATTACK is....
we've got scrums up North, but dear lord.....dear lord the attack.....

I'm sorry for appearing to be so self-centered, but the one nation in Europe that's widely known for its flair, France, is playing like...Armenia ?..on attack. With an exception or two this tournament...THANK GODDDDD....!
Italy can look very solid too, and it's the most recent thing, they never ever looked this good...
England...no comment. Fellas, it's not against you personally, but just objectively that current XV ?...and you can thank GOD there's a Tuilagi in there !!...Brown's been pretty good too though...
Ireland have looked excellent early, then glimpses of that, and finally almost nothing....but all the injuries.
Wales, hopefully due to injury, have a long long.......long way to go.
Scotland can only rely on serendipitous situations to score a try, or play a team that plays like Brazil, like Italy when they visited MField.

Good Lord...may the time pass fast and bring us to the 4N...

I am for abolition of bonus-point system in every competition.

I completely agree sigesige, bonus points never helped anyone and only hinder teams.

While we're at it let's abolish rugby balls. Matches shall henceforth be played with a pigs' inflated liver.

And on top of that let's turn the touch lines into try lines so players can score anywhere along the field. Also, what do you reckon to having 30 officials on the field at once, one to keep track of every player? It would solve any discipline issues in question in rugby atm.

What the current table would be with Bonus Points. Exactly the same ...

England 16
Wales 12
Scotland 9
Ireland 8
Italy 5
France 3

Bonus points in the 6 Nations? I'm all for it but one safeguard must be put in place. It's wrong that, however unlikely, a team which does the Slam can theoretically finish 2nd. If a team can win 4 games and get 5 bonus points, it can finish with 21 points. It must be ensured that the least amount of points a Grand Slam winning team can finish with is 22. Therefore I propose that if a team does the Slam, it's automatically given 2 bonus points. 5 wins + 2 slam bonus points = 22 points and a guaranteed championship win.

European international rugby has been poor for the best part of a decade in my opinion and something must be done to address that. I can't recall a single good 6 Nations championship since 2009 (and I'm including Ireland's Slam that year won playing turgid rugby).

Latest posts